The Corroboree
Sallubrious

Avoiding hangovers

I always finish with a water, done it for years now. Usually I just refill my empty stubby at the sink and treat it as my last drink before calling it a night.

I'm always surprised at how strongly others resist the act of drinking water when on the piss. It's like they know they should, but they just can't break through the pain barrier.

Why is it so hard for some people?

Enjoy it while it lasts.  Might wanna accidentally spill some poppy seeds in your yard because come Jan 1 , 2018 you can't do that.

all good, i have a year to stock up, but i might just buy some poppy seed cake, few crumbs may fall in the garden 

double post sorry

Edited by Matt1208

I always finish with a water, done it for years now. Usually I just refill my empty stubby at the sink and treat it as my last drink before calling it a night.

I'm always surprised at how strongly others resist the act of drinking water when on the piss. It's like they know they should, but they just can't break through the pain barrier.

Why is it so hard for some people?

yeah, that! are you alergic to water or something? 

there's water in vodka you know. 

there'd be water in almost if not every type of alcohol wouldn't there ?

• Like 1

Discovered something interesting yesterday regarding alcohol, this is specifically relevant to people with type 1 diabetes but I'm sure goes some way to contributing to a hangover.

From https://biology.stackexchange.com/questions/22039/nadh-inhibits-gluconeogenesis

Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis because 'NADH produced from ethanol catabolism leads to product inhibition'.

This is the effect of metabolizing ethanol and also the reason why excess amount of ethanol can lead to hypoglycemia.

Ethanol is oxidized by the alcohol dehydrogenase to acete aldehyde. This reaction needs consumes one molecule of NAD+ per molecule ethanol oxidized:

Ethanol + NAD+ <=> Acetaldehyde + NADH + H+

Acetaldehyde is oxidized by the acetaldehyde dehydrogenase in a second reaction in the mitochondria to Acetyl-CoA, which produces another molecule of NADH:

Acetaldehyde + NAD+ # CoA <=> Acetyl-CoA + NADH + H+

If you now take a look on the Gluconeogenesis, there is one critical step which need NAD+: The oxidation of lactate to pyruvate by the lactate dehydogenase which then cannot be processed into oxalacetate, phosphorenolpyruvate and so on.

enter image description here

Adding excess NADH shifts the reaction equilibrium completely to the side of lactate and also leads to the producion of additional lactate, leading to hyperglycemia and lactic acidosis. Acess NADH from the ethanol oxidation inhibits the oxidation of fatty acids in the liver - this process also generates NADH for the production of ATP. NADH signals this process that enough energy is available in the cell. And finally excess NADH also inhibits the malate dehydrogenase reducing the amount of oxalacetate for gluconeogenesis further.

• Like 2

I'm just trying to fully understand what Fenris has posted. My interest in mostly from a dietary point of view in regards to Intermittent Fasting.

I'm a bit rusty on energy pathways & Kreb/citric acid cycles etc

The post above mentions both Hypoglycemia and later on mentions Hyperglycemia.

Would I be correct to assume that Hypoglycemia is the implied term in both instances ?

If I'm reading it correctly and glucogenisis is inhibited would that result in electrons not being available to the mitochondria through the glycolytic pathways for energy production?

I regularly go on a 24 hour fast but I drink vodka until about midnight, my last meal being at about 6pm. I was thinking that the source or calories from the alcohol would delay the onset of the fast (and insulin levels falling) until the alcohol had worn off. After reading what Fenris posted maybe the vodka wouldn't matter so much.

Edited by Sallubrious

I hadn't noticed that when I first read through it.

But I found this in reference to diabetics : https://www.diabeteshealth.com/diabetes-and-alcohol-what-you-need-to-know/

Moderate and excessive alcohol consumption affects blood glucose levels causing hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia.  Hyperglycemia usually occurs with moderate consumption of alcohol.  Of greater concern is hypoglycemia, which occurs with excessive alcohol intake without food. Hypoglycemia can occur immediately or up to eight to 12 hours after drinking alcohol, leading to sleepiness, light-headedness, and confusion. Furthermore if you drink too much, you may fail to recognize the symptoms of hypoglycemia.  Therefore, monitoring your blood glucose is critical to detect falling glucose levels before severe hypoglycemia occurs. 

• Like 1

Cheers mate

I misinterpreted that, I was expecting it to be one or the other, not either depending on the conditions.

Will try at least some of this salt rigmarole shortly prior to involuntary horizontaltude (coming soon!). Happy New Year mofos!

• Like 4

I have a very basic understanding of cellular processes. But from experience the affect on NADH may explain 1. pain relief from drinking and 2. a therapeutic nature on 'spiritual athleticism' or shamanic states.

Edited by manu

Sample size: 2.  Result: positive  B)

Happy New Year!

• Like 2

This place is truly a goldmine:

Quoting MickeyMagic "There is a asparagus based 'tonic' drink which clinical studies have shown to half the amount of blood alcohol in the system every hour."

A quick Google came up with this.

• Like 1

I thought it was going to say half the urine ouput... Or something to do with urine!  Interesting.  strange how often the tail end of various binges is treated as an embuggerance; still, if I was young again I would prefer a "piss half as often" tonic.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
Fuck yeah semicolons; even a party gorilla can use them.

i tried this the other night. woke up with one of the worst hangovers i've had for a long time.

0/10 would never try again

Edited by DiscoStu

Sorry to hear about that Stu

I'll give you a full refund tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity what booze did you did you drink and how much salt did you have ?
& were you drinking on the wicked hot night where the temp rose from 8pm to midnight the night before the hangover?

• Like 2

nah temp was fine, had to wear a jumper (under 20 i think). 10 beers (sparking ale, not unusual), salt was 1 tsp in a pint glass

Anyone with a juicer prepared to try asparagus before bed?