The Corroboree
Kierbob

FS - Flow Hood

Hey guys,

decided I might see if anyones interested in my flow hood.

Its a custom built 60x60cm HEPA Flow hood with less than 5 hours of use.

Nice big pre filter at top, HVAC Centrifrugal blower.

Has been stored in a clean dust free environment

Over all dimensions W-64cm X D-52cm X H-1610cm

Awesome large work area to prep heaps of jars or large bags.

Open too offers, will probably thow in a heap of other mycology related gear as Im getting out of the hobby (jars, bags, sealer, cultures)

Any questions please pm me.

Pick up in Melbourne. 

Flow Hood (1).jpg

Flow Hood (2).jpg

Flow Hood (3).jpg

Flow Hood (4).jpg

585a18a640d6d_FlowHood(1).thumb.jpg.132cb8e11f55a8a9a3a86fc04802b325.jpg

585a18a87aad7_FlowHood(2).thumb.jpg.96ec089126a10d5ea015096d45601123.jpg

585a18abb85a6_FlowHood(3).thumb.jpg.af7377d5484c0ceac0f4f2c01a4fdbfb.jpg

585a18aef176d_FlowHood(4).thumb.jpg.95e8025ae76b6a3f900b234ea802e93e.jpg

585a18a640d6d_FlowHood(1).thumb.jpg.132cb8e11f55a8a9a3a86fc04802b325.jpg

585a18a87aad7_FlowHood(2).thumb.jpg.96ec089126a10d5ea015096d45601123.jpg

585a18abb85a6_FlowHood(3).thumb.jpg.af7377d5484c0ceac0f4f2c01a4fdbfb.jpg

585a18aef176d_FlowHood(4).thumb.jpg.95e8025ae76b6a3f900b234ea802e93e.jpg

Edited by Kierbob

As motivation for someone to buy this hood, ill share with the buyer some useful information :lol:

A working protocol for plant tissue culture, germination of Astrophytum in vitro and callus induction. 

This protocol was designed by myself and another member of the forum, using aspects of a few different methods that we couldn't successfully replicate.  

Youll have to be patient, i haven't typed it up yet, but its all in log books that ill make digital copies of shortly. 

These Astrophytum cultures were created last summer and are ready for transferring in the near future.  

tc%20pics.png

I cant teach you what to do with the callus cultures as im still learning, but it would be great to have another member to bounce idea off :)

• Like 3

Ah super cool dude! If I had your logs a few months back I'd probably think twice about parting with the hood!

Ah, sweet. I used one of these units a coupla years ago at a mate's and was surprised how effective it was.

Am used to a full flow hood setup, but you probably don't want a full flow hood if you're short on space or moving house ever. They're heavy and take up massive amounts of room

Would recommend the units above, do keep the prefilters clean and do run a test with some open PDA plates when you get it just in case seals shift during transport ( simple to fix )- you need to do this with any flow hood regardless of size

Sounds like OP has looked after it really well

I cant teach you what to do with the callus cultures as im still learning, but it would be great to have another member to bounce idea off :)

Is here the appropriate place? Do you have callus pics?

Callus induction is pretty facile, it's the quality of callus you're looking for and if you can regenerate it back into whole plants you've finished the cycle and know your experiment is working. Do this first before you proceed further with the experiment

Callus- especially embryonic callus, those tumescent, friable, egg shaped buggers and the subsequent torpedo shaped embryonic calli- can really speed up the replication process. Embryonic tissue is more 'plastic'- responsive to lower amounts of hormones. Callus requires less energy to reproduce itself, not needing to bother with massive cell and organ differentation.

Trick is to regenerate it into whole plants early on in the piece to confirm concept, and not to run so many culture generations it forgets how to regenerate ( unless you're specifically after callus cultures for a specific purpose ).

Many protocols regenerate whole plants from callus by reducing the sugars and the nutrients by half, and sometimes by adding an auxin, like IBA to the regeneration mix. If that doesn't work, there is a bunch of other stuff to try, but the above protocol is the standard to try when regenerating whole plants which lack a published protocol.

Plant callus is also useful for mutation studies- throw enough hormones at it and you can get 'off types' which, if regenerated, can produce useful horticultural mutants. You can put callus under UV or throw actual mutagens at it ( be very careful with those ) to the same effect

If you are using callus for mutation, be aware that while the process itself is a little tricky for noobs, the actual work and time comes from running proper controls and kill curves and maintaining them for the life of the experiment ( minimum a year, sometimes five or six ) monitoring *all* of them until the trait you are seeking is observed in at least your controls ( allow time for the others to catch up, mutations can cause lag in the first generation ). If your mutants propagate by seed only ( esp if you have thrown out all your callus/ sterile explants at that time- do not do this ) you will need to stabilise the mutation over at least one or more generations

The logging and observations take time and space and a high degree of thoroughness. Minimum 100 plants incl controls, but serious statistical chance for success kicks in at about 1000 plants. Numbers will reduce over time as you remove unsuccessful candidates from the treated pool.

The above is physically easy, but taxing long term as your personal situation will likely change over time. This is the bit anyone can do, but usually don't

Edited by Darklight
Clarification re mutation stabilisation

Lol DL you don't sound like you want change to succeed in his journey, he was just offering up his current information to anyone who might want to buy the hood for TC work. Far as I can tell he is being nice and genuinely interested in getting this off the ground! When I visit change and see his racks of rad cultures and fancy cactus growing in agar it blows my mind!! Keep going change your about to nail it I reckon (even tho I don't know anything about the topic lols)

ps nice hood. I'll be In Melb mid feb - how much do you want for it?

• Like 1

Is here the appropriate place? Do you have callus pics?

If here wasnt the appropriate place to talk about tissue culture, than why continue to talk about it? 

The OP didnt seem to mind, whats your problem with it ?

I thought it might open up somes minds to the possibility, because flow hoods seem to be used exclusively for fungi by members on this forum.

Callus induction is pretty facile, it's the quality of callus you're looking for and if you can regenerate it back into whole plants you've finished the cycle and know your experiment is working. Do this first before you proceed further with the experiment

Fair enough, no point getting a protocol from me that took 2 years of my hard work and constant failed attempts to design. 

Thanks for calling my hard work facile, how many years have you put into learning cactus tissue culture? may i please see your cactus callus pictures? 

@Darklight, i'm more than happy for you to be the forums tissue culturing expert, im not trying to steal your crown with any of my posts (on any scientific subject for that matter)

Im just looking for other members who want to collaborate, because im actually working on this, not just talking about it.

Im aware how long its going to take, which is why im interested in some culturing teamwork rather than another year of me working on it solo. 

Sorry to be derailing your thread @Kierbob if my posts are annoying you ask a moderator to remove them. This will be my final post in the thread. 

• Like 1

If here wasnt the appropriate place to talk about tissue culture, than why continue to talk about it? 

Sorry to be derailing your thread @Kierbob if my posts are annoying you ask a moderator to remove them. This will be my final post in the thread. 

Youse are nuts. That was the point of my question. I took your comment and ran a gazillion miles with it and if the OP asks us to move this info to another thread I'm happy to do it.

Looks like a nice flow hood, I'll repeat that for those of you at the back of the class. Nice flow hood, well stored. Those are good units, I have worked with one and was pleasantly surprised.

Yes, it is facile to get callus. Good quality callus is another issue. I'm not calling you out on the quality of your callus, I assumed it was good or you wouldn't have bothered continuing with it

For all I know there are people with much more experience than I on this and many many other topics on the forum and who are keeping quiet. Or laughing at you. Or me. Actually I pretty much assume this is the case :)

You asked for collaboration, you got it. You took the whole thing the wrong way and now you have the bad hurtyfeels. I'm happy to continue collaborating with you but you might want to grow up a bit for groupwork.

Failure is a constant in science. For you. For me. For everyone. Good on you for keeping going. We all do, because that's how science happens. Get a little sooky about it and move on. If something I say upsets or stops you, then you need another job

There are pics of some of my cactus callus tissue in the gallery. From like the early 2000s. Callus quality was shit ( you really do need to stop taking this stuff personally, shit callus happens to all of us, it's a part of the experimental progress ). Regen was good, good enough to continue running that batch while working on other protocols. However deflasking caused the inner parts of the cactus to collapse in many individuals and it took someone else to handle the deflasking for contam reasons. By then the crop wasn't as financially viable as it was at the start. I still have callus stored for that species, and some whole plants in TC. The callus is still shit. It happens. If I wanted embryogenic callus I'd have to work and fail and keep working to get it- just like you do with your species.

Nice flow hood. I hope someone buys it and gets lots of use out of it

• Like 2

Lol DL you don't sound like you want change to succeed in his journey, he was just offering up his current information to anyone who might want to buy the hood for TC work.

Yep, and that's what Darklight was doing also. Change took a more enthusiastic tone, and DL gave a more detailed idea of the amount of time & work & failures you would have to deal with if you wanted to get into home tissue-culture. As someone who is totally naive about this topic, I appreciated both approaches. Thanks peeps :)

Edited by Anodyne
  • Like 1

Ah, sweet. I used one of these units a coupla years ago at a mate's and was surprised how effective it was.

Am used to a full flow hood setup, but you probably don't want a full flow hood if you're short on space or moving house ever. They're heavy and take up massive amounts of room

IMG_20160522_092608.jpg

Big Bertha is like my wife, she's heavy and takes up a lot of room. But, atleast Big Bertha has a job and works. Just kidding Miss Cue.

Just so some people don't think that this person is trying to get rich from this sell let me say that they aren't cheap to build. My filter has the same width and length, with a blower. The filter (H-14 rating) was $250.00 USD with shipping, and the blower (8") was $150.00 USD. Plus, I have another $100.00 USD in misc expenses.

IMG_20160522_092608.thumb.jpg.90a1b62a06c70dddcf51bd98aae9740c.jpg

IMG_20160522_092608.thumb.jpg.90a1b62a06c70dddcf51bd98aae9740c.jpg