The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sagiXsagi

Gibberelic acid (GA3) seed experimentations and discussion

How about a thread to document overall experimentation with ga3/gibberleic acid  and seeds... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibberellic_acid

First of all is this fucker dangerous for humans? 

I am thinking on testing the gibberelic acid I bought today. It's a "ProGibb 40SG "  , a 2,5 grams little envelope  and states "  1 g. a. i. "  . The dude told me its 2,5 grams for 100 kilos of water. 

I am thinking on trying this on a variety of seeds, for example some old ephedra and catha seeds I found ...  I am also thinking to try it with some acacia strains, quite old seed, I have 4-5 species, maybe it could work well for the more reluctant germinators like A.phlebophylla and obtusifolia.  

I am also thinking to use it for tropane seeds, which are often reluctant in germination. I am also trying a fridge cold shock for some of these, but I guess this is for another topic. 

There are also a couple threads for sceletium, and since I got some sceletium seeds, I might give them a try as well.. 

What do you think about concentrations, does it have to do with the size of the seed?  

Anyone with experience to tell us if it was successful and to what degree ?? 

Edited by sagiXsagi

I don't know how safe it is. I usually just eyeball it in terms of concentration. It definitely works, it can boost germination even in stubborn seeds like stale b. caapi. You have to watch it though as too strong a concentration will cause everything to germinate but then the residual acid dissolves the root system and kills all your seedlings. 

It doesn't dissolve well in water so I spray a tiny bit of isopropyl alcohol on it first and get it dissolving then dilute with water. Have fun. I have much better luck with this stuff for germination than I have for BAP for pupping. 

• Like 2

I was advised to use about 700ppm when I used it on loph seeds, it worked to get them to germinate when they wouldn't ordinarily, but they were all fucked up and didn't survive anyways..

• Like 1

Yeah, that's the danger. I would only use it if seeds are very old and you are expecting them to be tough to germinate. With fresh seeds it's not worth risking them to get a tiny bit of extra germination. Larger, tough seeds like caapi it's good though, doesn't seem to effect the roots as much as they are much larger and tougher. 

• Like 1