The Corroboree
Sarcophilus

My journey towards self-sustainable living.

A couple of images of cladding with the recycled roofing iron, and a view down to the cottage and surrounds from a hike to the top of a nearby logging coup.

cladstart.jpg

clad2.jpg

mtsaddleback.jpg

cladstart.thumb.jpg.f4816c523cb73c76a35cc58e54166d7f.jpg

clad2.thumb.jpg.2b2a02bb4793db3f27d3b611c3530963.jpg

mtsaddleback.thumb.jpg.7150c67d37507020cd04d2f8d0033a3c.jpg

cladstart.thumb.jpg.f4816c523cb73c76a35cc58e54166d7f.jpg

clad2.thumb.jpg.2b2a02bb4793db3f27d3b611c3530963.jpg

mtsaddleback.thumb.jpg.7150c67d37507020cd04d2f8d0033a3c.jpg

• Like 3

For your off-grid needs, I suggest you investigate the ATA web site and buy their 4xper year magazine - ReNew. As a member, you can access the older articles (there has been one on hydro power and many other options). Good luck with your endeavours and dont loose heart as you're still young enough to put this all on the back burner until you're ready with sufficient cash.

Keep on with the updates and make a point of visiting your site during your leave.

• Like 4

Thanks for the kind words and suggestion Paulinepie, I shall look into it. Will continue to update, promise you all that

Mate beautful coutry, great block, always dreamed a bit of Tasy. After a life time in the tropics not sure I could adjust.

On 11/7/2017 at 9:10 PM, Crop said:

Mate beautful coutry, great block, always dreamed a bit of Tasy. After a life time in the tropics not sure I could adjust.

Thanks for the kind words Crop, It's really not too bad most of the time mate.

15-20 degrees most of the year, but the rare extremes can be utterly ridiculous! I've had the pleasure of everything from -10 all the way up to 50 degrees.

The old man spent most of his life in the Kimberleys and he loves it down there.

5 hours ago, Sarcophilus said:

The old man spent most of his life in the Kimberleys

I did a couple of years exploration work in the Kimberly, stunning to look at from an airconed car, absolutely horrible to walk through.

Wow, that's incredible Sarcophilus! The cabin was an incredible score. The ingenuity and dedication required to undertake such a project is immense, all the best with it.

It must be so bloody difficult to grind through your day job with that incredible property in the back of your mind. Looking forward to further updates :)

• Like 1

On 18/02/2018 at 4:38 PM, Tøn said:

Wow, that's incredible Sarcophilus! The cabin was an incredible score. The ingenuity and dedication required to undertake such a project is immense, all the best with it.

It must be so bloody difficult to grind through your day job with that incredible property in the back of your mind. Looking forward to further updates :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes I cannot believe how lucky I was to have got the cabin for nothing.

You’re right, it’s definitely frustrating to be away from. Wish I could be doing more.

To further update everyone, I haven’t been present on the forums at all for quite a while. Unfortunately still up on the Gold Coast. Work is looking like it’ll be continuing for the next 4 years, as am now running my own Pty. Ltd. company. Up here until then. Can’t promise anything, but will try to get some more work done over these Christmas holidays and post another update thereafter. 

Sarc

• Like 1

I can't believe I missed this thread as I've been here for many years and look out for these sort of posts.

Unfortunately I can't provide any practical advice, but I will suggest you look into the hydroelectric option that someone already mentioned. I've seen hydroelectric generation work on a small scale, and fuck burning fuel for electricity.

On 01/09/2018 at 10:37 PM, Slocombe said:

I can't believe I missed this thread as I've been here for many years and look out for these sort of posts.

Unfortunately I can't provide any practical advice, but I will suggest you look into the hydroelectric option that someone already mentioned. I've seen hydroelectric generation work on a small scale, and fuck burning fuel for electricity.

Thanks for writing Slocombe, 

I’m definitely very interested in hydroelectric, and will try to get around to really digging into it’s viability.

To start I plan on solar with lead acid batteries, can’t justify the price of lithium ion especially when lead acid is a tenth of the price, with a touch more maintenance. I’ll get 5-10 years out of them, and who knows what technology will be available then and cost. 1.5kW array, 2v cells and 2-wire autostart genny for back up purposes only. I’m planning to run the house on 12v as I have no real need for 240v. That being said, I’ll probably still sort an inverter for times when it becomes a want. 

Living the dream I am working towards! Will be keenly following and when I get time, posting some of the ideas I've had and been handed. Good luck mate!

• Like 1

On 22/10/2018 at 6:24 PM, Ethnopiate said:

Living the dream I am working towards! Will be keenly following and when I get time, posting some of the ideas I've had and been handed. Good luck mate!

Thanks Ethnominate,

I'm always keen to see what others have in the works.

Thanks for the well wishes.