The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
squidgygoanna

Lesser known ethnobotanicals?

Hey guys,

Thought it might be interesting to see if any of you know of any lesser known ethno's that others here might not know about?

I just got a copy of the Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants, which gave me the idea for this thread

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akuammine

thats a strange new thing I hadnt heard of till now

there are tons of lesser known ethnobotanicals with reported psychoactive effects. Raetsch does a wonderful job documenting this. 

I have the Raetsch encyclopedia for years, these books are not meant to just read. I hadn't read much of it, most of it. Many of the books I have bought over the years have proved useful when I am searching a particular subject and not the moment I buy them...  

With raetsch, he has an awesome monogragh for Ephedra species in his encyclopedia, seems to even have done personal observations in greece, if only if would have some more botanical and taxonomy stuff too in these entries.. ..   his mandrake bits, I didn't read yet, but he hasnt got it right botanically taxonomy... he is great at reporting the native and traditional use and hearsay, in an objective way.

in any case, there is still to be done in already known plants taxonomy, like, Ephedra, Mandragora. 

Sida sp. seem also interesting, I have no idea how these sp. skiped, and I never thought trying to grow them. 

Heimia another plant I never managed to get going, I threw some seeds in my not so scientific way in some pot, but I am only seeing one seedling perhaps.. probably not it, lol 

I planted some valeriana for the first time this year, seedlings are already crowding... 

Ephedra is particularly interesting,  in that there seem to be a couple species that are devoid of ephedrine and pseudoephedrine, which are the two alkaloids that are generally regulated, but they seem to test positive in other alkaloids and seem to test also positive as "refreshing, stimulating" from various reports. 

I used to have a Coleus blumei strain that was a lot like the original plant and it was kind of interesting, especially in synergy. 

Not many people have grown Hyoscyamus sp, which are an awesome plant to grow. Of course its dangerous, but again, not many people know that this material differs from daturas and brugs and what not in that its got more hyoscyamine and less scopolamine, which make's it more mild, even though still fatally dangerous. 

mandrake fruit minus the seeds seems  to have many exotic aromatic substances, according to a very interesting isreali paper. seems its legendary in some circles. 

what else??  oh , again a minor entry, Delosperma bosseranum, make nice tubers and is suitable for succulent bonzai experiments.. 

All in all, my experience and attitude to it was and is still like this: even if I am not really interested in the said alkaloid, I want to grow each plant that produces them.. and , in a way, you can understand more things in the big scheme of things, by cultivating a plant than by buying the alkaloid in the black market ... 

and thus be bigger on our arguements on the  "now why the fuck earth produces so many different psychoactive plants?"  question... 

well I already said too much.. Growing plants is healthy and its awesome to understand bits of nature, bits of what we come from. To me it's all part of a self-exploration understanding natural history better than just watching docus , and hey, I am connecting to the whole or the universal, through nature, I only call it knowledge, wisdom and direct experience, not magic or religion or some spooky form of spirituality... The concept of directly connent to ancient genealogies is exciting by it self.... 

• Like 3

Some great ones there, cheers sagi. The encyclopedia is great and I've already started expanding my collection since I started reading. I have the same approach and want to collect any and all psychoactive plants. I've always been hesitant to grow brugs/datura because of it's toxicity but I might look into it. A new one I was unaware of was Glaucium flavum or 'yellow horned poppy' which contains Glaucine, and apparently produces sedation, fatigue, and even has hallucinogenic effects. Managed to find some seeds and will get them in the germination chamber asap.

• Like 1

I've got a decently sized Sinicuichi plant but I'm still unconvinced of its ethnobotanical value. Each prune I've given has yielded no results. Still a nice looking little tree that is pretty undemanding to care for with loads of yellow flowers.

Edited by Conv3rgence
  • Like 3