The Corroboree
Strontium Dawg

Validus

Hi, can anyone help me out with a piece of validus? I'm after a cut (aren't we all!) small enough to post. I'm going to treat myself for Christmas if possible.

Thanks wonderful people.

• Like 1

dude, i'd love to share a bit with you.... but... the log i got a year ago still hasn't rooted, let alone pupped... Any suggestions how to get the bugger to throw roots? 

Bigger cuts usually take longer in my experience. I've had a piece of Roseii 2 that was fat af that's sat for nearly a year with no sign of rooting. 

• Like 2

@Glaukus Is it still growing strong?  How deep is it buried?  Is it in full sun? I am wondering what to expect with a couple of fat rosei 1 and 2.

these are off the same log Mountain Goat as the piece i sent you

they were planted in march or april this year

IMG_4910.jpg  IMG_4912.jpg  IMG_4911.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

• Like 1

same here, same stock, same timeframe. couple of deadies (pups) from winter.

I don't pick them up to check for roots but they all feel pretty solid in the pots

maybe they like the southern environment?

P5060823.JPGP5060824.JPGP5060825.JPG

P5060823.thumb.JPG.41a98f65eb9f12c4610aecac661ec59f.JPG

P5060824.thumb.JPG.cfaefeae5e286a4c8e6515430509f37b.JPG

P5060825.thumb.JPG.39b6b38252fc48823c6bd368fcb42ebe.JPG

P5060823.thumb.JPG.41a98f65eb9f12c4610aecac661ec59f.JPG

P5060824.thumb.JPG.cfaefeae5e286a4c8e6515430509f37b.JPG

P5060825.thumb.JPG.39b6b38252fc48823c6bd368fcb42ebe.JPG

• Like 1

Awesome growth guys... Have you guys got them in full sun? Mine is under the eaves, shaded by a huge tree for most of the day... What's the secret? I'm sure it'll be all good, but I really want to be growing this bad boy...

@Glaukus Is it still growing strong?  How deep is it buried?  Is it in full sun? I am wondering what to expect with a couple of fat rosei 1 and 2.

Nothing at all. It hasn't even shrivelled. I think that's the issue, big fat juicy cuts have plenty of survival potential so they aren't in any rush to root. Just my 2 cents. It's in part shade mostly. I might try hitting it with some go-go juice and see what happens.

roseis are always slow to root and pup ime, 1 more so than 2. ive stuff from this time last year and the 2s are just pupping, nothing on the 1s, where as fields macro is pupping like mad, along with a lot of other stuff.

Validas in full sun, in retrospect I should have brought them undercover for winter, where other stuff its not necessary. im sure once they establish themselves well they'll be fine over winter, just that initial rooting time when they seemed to need extra care. who knows, maybe it is the size of them as you say Glaukus, the survival potential stopping them from rooting quickly may be the same thing that's making them weaker over winter...less likely to be adaptable and just hold its ground...if that makes sense. but im not overly experienced with the larger girth cacti.

• Like 1

Same, full sun, not undercover in winter, they have had their first feed so far this season, gonna pump the food into them n see how big the pups can get before it gets cold again.

• Like 1

@spooge @godless

Do you guys water them regularly when you first planted them? Maybe that's the key, I have never watered rooting cactus until they show roots or good growth, but I guess if it's well calloused you could water it... I have had no experience with cactus of this girth before, except big cereus but you can't stop it from rooting. It gets root bound in big pots in about 2 months up here...

On the full sun topic, I have found that all unrooted cuts get sunburnt whilst rooting if in full sun up here. I'm not sure if that is just the crazy intensity of the sun up here, UV factors of 15 is common... I have always had to shade them until they have roots to avoid burning them...

@spooge hey, I just had a thought... the arrow you put on the validus, was it pointing up, or down? I think I've got it upside down... I always thought the spination was weird that the fluff was below the spines... currently the arrow points up...

lol, I guess I should have checked with you...

image.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.4bdcf8ec1b6339d61d17f3206d6d79d5.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.4bdcf8ec1b6339d61d17f3206d6d79d5.jpg

yeah man, I think your right, flip that bitch, on the plus side at least the top(bottom) will be well healed.

The 'V' notches on the aeroles always point down, more pronounced on some cacti than others but you should be able to make it out on the Validas.

• Like 1

I had mine under the eaves from dec till around april, they got the odd splash when the rain was wild enough. Probably not the best idea for me to move them outdoors just before winter but I was rushed. Id flip that guy, give him a month dry and then start watering gently, I used to go past them with a spray bottle set to the fine stream, not mist, and just give them a squirt now and then. tease the roots out, I always remember a little piece of info that I picked up from I cant remember...cacti put out roots in search of water, not in response to it. could be wrong but that approach works well for me.

I cant really comment on your climate, but down here I generally (but apparently not with the Valida..lol. shrugs) just plant stumps straight out into the sun and rain unless I know theyre delicate or been out of direct light for a while. As long as theyre well healed they seem to be fine...mostly. If anything I have more trouble with rot than sunburn. were getting UV of 13-14 at the moment, maybe that extra point makes a lot of difference

edit- and the pups were all up by april, they haven't done a lot yet this season

Edited by godless
  • Like 1

I guess this is a lesson in the differences between northerners and southerners... Up here it's always "which way is up?"... I didn't even think about the possibility of the arrow pointing down... I didn't even look at the cactus to see... Glad you guys posted your photos, sorted it right out.

Thanks again for the cut spooge...

• Like 1