The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Incubus

Outdoor spirit plants

Hello everyone im brand new to this forum so if you just throw thread links at me I understand why. Ive got basic to intermediate biology knowledge for outdoor plants from growing vegetables and pot. I am just wondering if you could answer some simple questions as I wish to grow a psychotria viridis and a banisteriopsis caapi in my back yard. I have about 2m x 2m space.

Questions: 

QLD summer should be a good climate?(high humidity...)

Soil options?? (I was going to just get some vegetable soil and mix with the shitty dirt thats there already)

Nutrients??

Are these Two plants ok to be grown side by side??

Anything I should know and look out for (Im going into this blind, buying them from shamanaustralis' online store)

Thanks so much in advanced!!

• Like 3

hey, yes qld summer is good. However, viridis needs a fair bit of shade, caapi can do full sun if you keep the water up... Caapi will completely fill your 2x2m pretty quickly though, so if that's all the space you've got you'll need to prune regularly to get thickness to the vine... Viridis grows slowly but propagates readily so grow numerous viridis but 1 caapi will be sufficient... If your growing in the ground, they'll love vegie garden mix much more then "shitty dirt"....  

• Like 4

Thanks for all the info! I will maybe make a shade cloth for the viridis to keep it out of the midday sun. I know it will love the morning sun though :D

Should I think about normal vegetable fertilizers for after a month or so? 

Fertiliser is great, though I'd highly recommend keeping it organic for any plants that are useful :wink:

• Like 1

And, if your soil is good and the plants small, I wouldn't feed them for around six months... then you can feed monthly if you want, depending on the fert...

If your nearish to the coast in queensland than the vine will go nuts with the rainfall and humidity when in good soil, even in large pots they go good, they push roots out into the ground through the pot and crank away, i live further inland now and rainfall is not to great and the soil is much different, i have been re learning a lot of what i knew because of the differences. For fertilizer i manly use fish emulsion, sometimes store brought but i like to make my own, i always have chicken poo water with additives on hand and seems good, i add all sorts of things to it, i like to add comfrey tea to it but lately been making nettle tea to add to it, don't know if that is a favourable thing to do or not but i figure all the nutrients within must be of benefit. Viridis requires a fair amount of water so where rainfall is low be prepared to water it often, Alba, Cath and hybrids are much more tolerant and forgiving.

• Like 1