The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Flux

pruning TBMs

Hi folks,

Any tips on the best way to 'prune' the little peni branches from Trichocereus Bridgesii Monstrose...is a clean slice at the base best or can they just be 'picked' off the mother branch? - I wish to minimise damage to the plant and also ensure new growth can emerge.

thanks in advance

What is it you are wanting ? i know that when you slice them so some areoles stay on where you cut from and some on what you cut you will have the mother plant sprout new pups from that site, i haven't tried rooting a cutting but they graft well, just make sure you have some areoles, i have grafted some without areoles as an experiment and one year on nothing but will wait and see : )

sharp secateurs, just snip em off at the union. but If youre gunna slice through the middle of a piece then yeah, leave aeroles for pupping. depends how much you've got to work with I guess. pics of what youre planning on cutting would help. 

zellys advice:   

use a lawnmower

If your propagating them out, i have found double pups root and continue to grow much faster than single pups. 

I like to propagate them in the middle of winter, giving them plenty of time to shoot roots before the start of growing season. 

And if you do decide to use the lawnmower, make sure the blades have been sterlized :P

On a more serious note, i like to leave freshly cut cactus in full sun for the day, the UV rays seem to sterlize cuts and prevent infection quite effectively. 

Edited by Change
  • Like 2

Thanks heaps - so essentially I should cut with a clean sterile blade just below the spines ? (in the first photo). I picked a few recently without thinking and then realised I might have done some damage (they look okay now though).

IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0935.thumb.JPG.c1d56ee9522f9183a281ad0b32eedddb.JPG

IMG_0937.thumb.JPG.32775e9dd281ac0269108c30c915a568.JPG

IMG_0935.thumb.JPG.c1d56ee9522f9183a281ad0b32eedddb.JPG

IMG_0937.thumb.JPG.32775e9dd281ac0269108c30c915a568.JPG

1 hour ago, theuserformallyknownasd00d said:

I'd just let it be, if your aim is to have lots of tbm segments you'll get there faster with the one plant untouched 

What he said.

• Like 1

id leave that too.

about the secateurs, some of you might think that's a bit harsh and would cause damage, but you can get them in there and close them up almost to the point of cutting, get it aligned correctly and then just SNIP, in one full motion. I do it for tbms and columnar pup cuts and it works like a charm, never had an issue

• Like 1

To truly prune the sacred plant of the Gods you must first embrace the spirit of the ancient samurai...

Katana_Masamune.jpg

Katana_Masamune.jpg

Katana_Masamune.jpg

Edited by Halcyon Daze

^^haha cutting up cactus with a big blade is dangerous work 

Many years ago a certain member here will remember me rocking up to their house with a huge machette, the idea was id use it to assist with cutting up trichos i was purchasing. 

Within half an hour id swung the blade to hard, miss the cactus, and left a huge gash in my leg. Im certain my stupidiy would have provided many many lols. :P

• Like 1