The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zedo

Help with Ross River Fever

Hi all. I suppose this is a good a place as any to ask. 

Ive just recently found out the cause of my lack of energy, degrading health and other mental fogginess. 

Ross River Virus (fever) 

which is sorta funny cause I grew up living in the Ross River. But It took moving to Brissy to get the bug lol. Anyways

Im so lethargic and just existing has been quite a burden with this nasty - I really don't recommend it at all. And while I have to let it run its course, which could b another few months or longer, I'm looking for help. Plant help.

So I don't know what would help. Stimulating ethnobotany isn't a learned area of mine. So my question is... 

has anyone got any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, plants, cuttings, extracts or anything to help make daily life a bit easier. Getting out of bed is the hardest thing, then focusing and physical tasks. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. Feel free to pm if you feel the need. 

Peace

This thread might have attracted more attention if it was posted in the Pharmacology Chemistry and Medicine forum.

Do they diagnose you by a blood test or just by the symptoms you present with these days Zedo ?

I suspect that I get infected with RRV or BFV every year in autumn and the symptoms manifest through winter. I get the brain fog, lethargy and I also get rheumatoid arthritis that's almost crippling. Then in summer it seems to clear up and return again next year. Maybe there's some link to vitamin d levels there, but supplementing with vitamin doesn't seem to help me much.

Maybe some type of adaptogen could perk you up and help your body recover from the lethargy. Ginseng is an old favorite and Ashwagandha is another good one. Ashwagandha is generally easier to source at a reasonable price for a good quality product but it is a member of the nightshade family, so if you have any issues with nightshade allergies or sensitivities you have to be careful there.

Appreciate the advice. I could think where to place it. I'm diagnosed with a blood test.

while I'm not here to down play your experience with the virus... from my research, and prior knowledge with close family who have had it worse than me. You can't get it more than once. It's like chicken pox, once your body creates an antibody you can't get it again.... well very rare cases. Same with dengue and BFV. 

Cant say I've had any experience with anything nightshade so I wouldn't know how I'll react. I'll do a bit of research on those tonight. Thanks. 

Id love a ginseng plant.

Hey Zedo, I don't have any Ashwagandha plants spare but I could send some super fresh berries/seeds if you like?

If you find out about any other plants or plant material that may be useful let me know and I will see if I can help you obtain them.

• Like 2

Thanks for the links. Some good info there. Will be investigating tonight. 

I find it... I want to use the word strange, but the more I come into awareness the more I see the lies, and find strange to be not that strange at all... that personal accounts people say they have remissions and reoccurring RRV, when the medical journals state it's a one off virus and your good to go after you fix yourself. 

While I understand fabricated research etc... and see there's supposedly a vaccine in development, it strikes me that either the vaccine is a waste since you once get it once thus making antibodies naturally and hopefully genetically helping the human race down the lines of pro creation. Or maybe these reoccurring symptoms are actually something different but similar to RRV.  I gusss you really wouldn't know unless you got the specific boood test everytime to see whether the virus was actual active or not at the time. 

Im not doubting that people have reoccurring RRV, I'm just voicing an observation :)

the herbalistics link is interesting. I feel like by the time I source all the ingredients all be over it anyways lol. Really can't wait to own a yard to have as much medicine as possible whether I need it or not.  

I never really considered the immunological effects Zedo. It makes sense that antibodies would be produced and give protection after the original infection as you say.
I've never looked into it & I haven't been diagnosed either, I was just speculating as I get those symptoms each winter. I thought it could have been similar to an outbreak of cold sores where the virus goes into dormancy and becomes more active at times of stress etc.

Chicken pox is an interesting one too, after the initial infection has manifested and the immune system produces enough antibodies to overwhelm it we are said to have immunity for life but then years down the track other effects can emerge in the form of shingles which affects nerves ect. So it seems with some viruses we never really get over them we just adapt to them.

The mechanisms responsible for reactivation of viral infections is only partially understood as far as I know.

Edited by Sallubrious
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sallubrious said:

So it seems with some viruses we never really get over them we just adapt to them.

I think the use of the term adapt is brilliant given our knowledge and experience with these things. And there's nothing to say the virus can't adapt too and produce a new wave of symptoms. 

Before i got the offical test (and I think this was the 5th blood test in 3 months). They hypothesised that I may have reiters syndrome (type of arthritis) and most arthritis seems to have overlapping symptoms with RRV. Prehaps you may have a form or arthritis rather than RRV. A blood test for the specif virus will show if it's active or if you have had it ever. But not when. They tested me for 4 other mosquito viruses and I came back with 2 others (can't recall what they were) that I had had at some stage in life, but are currently non active. Was a surprise to me. 

I'm following this one, my Mrs just received test results showing she had it at some point in the past, but not now. She still suffers from the RA symptoms and lethargy etc.

I'd like to be able to provide some assistance to her. Ashwagandha sounds like a good start.

Well Glaukus if you don't have Ashwagandha in your collection let me know and i will send you some seeds : )

On a side note i will not get vaccinated for nothing, when i am supposed to die is when i die if i live then i hope to spread my genetics one day : ) vaccines are bullshit to me in fact near everything i hear is some form of bullshit or another, so many listen to people who can not even live here without aid, be brave and develop your own views people cause personally near everything i hear is a con, if you believe something than sure as shit you will see it manifest into your reality, i am trying to get through this transition without catching the disease of mundane life, such a phony boloney world compared to what i envision, i do hold hope we as ourselves will witness this extraordinary place through our own senses void of indoctrination, compared to what i want to say this is just a vague example of my view of this mad house. Please don't get me wrong as i do love this place of adventure : )

• Like 2

I will try report back with my own experience when I try different things. So far though - from before I knew it was RRV - I found during the bad fevers I've had occasionally, that My friend Mary gives the best head massage to help me relax. 

And while I still haven't done the Wim Hof method I still would like to try, the basic breathing principle and other breathing techniques combined with energy direction meditation (dunno how to describe it, but that in a nutshell) works really well if you can focus hard enough to overcome the want to just fall back and sleep.

Other than that. Good ole honey lemon tea (why not) is nice. One night was real bad an I did not sleep, and was so over it I took some codine which I would never do otherwise. It made me sleep which I needed but just... well you feel it the next day. I really dislike pharma, but it has its uses. Which is why I'm asking the community for natural remedies. 

Which so far Thankyou for everyone's support. 

• Like 1

Seeing that I was the one who suggested Ashwagandha, I'd just like to qualify that with a warning.

Any time you start taking anything new (this includes pharmaceuticals prescribed by doctors as well) if you notice any new symptoms arise your first suspicion must always be that new substance is the cause. This seems to be totally lost on many GP's and natural therapists and they can often get into a cycle of treating symptoms caused by their own treatments with more prescriptions or herbs etc.

More than likely the Ashwagandha will be safe and effective for a large sample of people from most demographics as it's been studied extensively for years, but a few people experience adverse effects. So listen your bodies an be prepared to eliminate anything new that you feel may be causing other symptoms. If the symptoms subside after eliminating the herb/prescription and re-emerge shortly after beginning to take it again then you have a smoking gun.

Edited by Sallubrious
  • Like 2

When you mentioned the head message i couldn't help but reflect on the time i was very sick, i was so sick i would slip into another reality every now and then, i was living in a shed and owned a muscle car, it was my pride and was there next to where i slept, my dad helped me do it up, i loved that car and would polish it often, i was just living another day until i came to and realized none of that was apart of my current reality, it was apart of some feverish dream that to me was as real as this moment i write this, anyhow my stoner uncle placed his hands upon my head and i could feel the healing, it was as if he was sucking the illness from me  

• Like 2

I agree with your warning, my question would be with ashwagandha, would any adverse symptoms be relatively quick after consumption or over a longer continued period of use

1 hour ago, Zedo said:

I agree with your warning, my question would be with ashwagandha, would any adverse symptoms be relatively quick after consumption or over a longer continued period of use

In terms of beneficial effects, I noticed a change after 3 days of using ashwagandha as a study aid and stress reducer. I can't speak for anyone else but my personal assumption would be that any adverse effects would occur quickly, based on my experience with the herb. Everyone reacts to certain things differently as mentioned above listen to your body carefully.

• Like 1

Worst thing about having RRV to me is the complete lack of energy at times. Since Sunday I've been asleep more than awake. And when I'm awake I just want to sleep. 

Sometimes I wish I liked coffee 

Great article rahli some good tips in there! I have used Reishi mushroom preparations to kill a flu in less than 12 hours, really highly recommend reishi, powerful adaptogen and immune booster. Can't say if it will help with rrv but I have faith it would possibly help. I don't have any to send you unfortunately but I can point you in the direction to purchase bulk dried reishi mushrooms if you'd like?

I'm interested to know where to get them. Thanks for the extract link. Extract vs dried whole? Amy thoughts?

^Where do you get your Reishi from? 

Ive been ordering from here, http://nootropicsdepot.com/red-reishi-lingzhi-whole-fruiting-body-medicinal-mushroom-extract-powder/ 

http://www.herbcottage.com.au/dried-reishi-mushroom.html

I can't comment on extract but I use the dried mushrooms, grind up required dosage, boil for 30 mins in water, strain and drink. For colds/flu I would use 2g 3-4 times per day until I feel on the mend. Just research dosage some folks have 5g or more per dose.

• Like 2

Thanks. I'll have to give it a go. After payday this week :( 

Hey Zedo, I am pretty sure I  have some dried homegrown reishi about - its no good for me at all in my current state.

I promised another member I'd get into where I store stuff a few weeks back and look for something else, and havent:blush: (sorry mate if reading have not forgot, its a mission and been FUBARed). The Mrs is sending me in for xmas decorations in the next few days so it will be on my hunt list now.

If I unearth what I think I have, you are welcome to it for whateva it costs to get it up to you.