The Corroboree
Anodyne

"Supermoon" on Monday Nov 14th

“In astronomy the word is ‘perigee’ and it means the closest point the moon is to Earth.”

Roughly every four weeks the moon circles the Earth. However, the orbit is not circular at all, but elliptical so once a month the moon will be at its closest point to Earth and once a month at its farthest.

Rarely, these rotations fling the satellite so close to the Earth it produces a supermoon. A particularly distant orbit is, naturally, a “micro moon”.

Three supermoons are due to occur in 2016. One happened last month and another is due in December.

But what makes Monday’s supermoon so special is it will be a full moon plus it will do its closest fly-by since 1948.

A super-dooper-moon, if you like.

What’s more, it won’t come as close again until 2034.

Dr Michael Brown, an astronomer at Monash University and a member of the Astronomical Society of Australia, said without professional photographic equipment, the best way to appreciate the supermoon was when it was rising and it could be compared to other objects.

“When the moon is close to the horizon and you can see it next to trees it does look bigger than when it’s up in the sky in isolation.”

Monday’s moonrise in Sydney will be at 7.07pm and 7.40pm in Melbourne. In Brisbane the moon will rise at 5.51pm and at 6.33pm in Perth. The supermoon should be visible form anywhere in Australia, cloud permitting.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/supermoon-which-will-look-brighter-and-larger-than-any-moon-for-68-years-to-pass-by-earth-on-14-november/news-story/5e98acb44565e5c2ac5b1445bf5ead7c

• Like 4

Bump

Just a reminder. If it doesn't rain it should be worth poking your head outside to check it out.

Some say that there is no direct correlation between the instance of a supermoon and and earthquakes or extreme weather but NZ just got smashed by a fucking big quake.

Japan had their big quake in 2011 in the lead up to a supermoon, although their quake was 8 days before the supermoon, so that was a real stretch to make any connection to that one.

It should get the "lunatic" fringe talking.

Edited by Sallubrious
  • Like 1

Bah, raining in Sydney. :(

Looks like it's raining up most of the east coast too, where all the nice ocean views would be. Maybe it'll blow over in the next few hours? Worth keeping an eye out in case it clears up anyway, and I also wanted to bump the thread for anyone who isn't being stalked by stormclouds.

Nah it cleared up in the end, no need for such drastic measures as getting out of bed early.

• Like 1

Was it worth it ?

We didn't get a break in the clouds, so I missed it. It seems to happen every time there's something out there worth looking at since I moved into this shit hole.

I think you have to see it when it's near the horizon to get the "moon illusion" effect. When it's moved away from the horizon you don't get that over sized effect and there's nothing to put it into scale, so most people just see it as a normal size moon that looks a bit brighter than normal.

• Like 2

Yeah cloudy here during moonrise, and now later that it's cleared up the moon looks very bright but like you say, can't really tell any size difference when it's away from the horizon. Oh well, maybe the Dec one will be on a clear night.

I saw the moon. worth it to get outside for a bit.

Edited by manu
  • Like 2

Didn't seem to be any larger than a usual full moon to my eyes anyway but it was incredibly bright

almost blinding to stare at for too long 

Wtf is going on when farcebook, not only people on farcebook but the website itself is telling you to be excited about a relatively common lunar event that is almost, if not entirely imperceptible to human eyes? 

I really must get off there for good, I'm getting brain damage from all the forehead slapping..

not it that I don't think it's a good idea to get out & watch the moon.. But if people don't do that already as often as possible then there really must be something wrong with their heads..

just waiting for for all the comments about how it wasn't really any bigger than a normal full moon.. Or you know.. The moon always looks big when it's rising in the horizon as you see it relative to earth bound objects..

• Like 2

A popular belief, stretching back at least to Aristotle in the 4th century B.C., holds that the Moon appears larger near the horizon due to a real magnification effect caused by the Earth's atmosphere. This is not true: although the atmosphere does change the perceived color of the Moon, it does not magnify or enlarge it.[5] In fact, the visual image of the moon is about 1.5% smaller when it is near the horizon than when it is high in the sky, because it is farther away by nearly one Earth radius. Atmospheric refraction also makes the image of the Moon slightly smaller in the vertical direction.[citation needed]

The angle that the full Moon subtends at an observer's eye can be measured directly with a theodolite to show that it remains constant as the Moon rises or sinks in the sky (discounting the very small variations due to the physical effects mentioned). Photographs of the Moon at different elevations also show that its size remains the same.[6]

A simple way of demonstrating that the effect is an illusion is to hold a small object (say, 1.4 inches or 36 millimetres wide) at arm's length (25 inches or 640 millimetres) with one eye closed, positioning it next to the seemingly large Moon. When the Moon is higher in the sky, positioning the same object near the Moon reveals that there is no change in size.

Note that between different full moons, the Moon's angular diameter can vary from 29.43 arc minutes at apogee to 33.5 arc minutes at perigee—an increase of around 14% in apparent diameter or 30% in apparent area.[7] This is because of the ellipticity of the Moon's orbit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion

• Like 3

One time I lent my telescope to a bloke I knew and he couldn't even find the moon. He accused me of doing something to it as a joke. It turned out the stupid prick set himself up by "fixing" the finder because it looked like it was adjusted wrong.

I was lucky he didn't wrap it around a tree, he tried to find it for over an hour and his Mrs reckons he was getting seriously pissed off and cursing and screaming at me & the moon. He was still seriously pissed of when he returned it the next day.

When I was into star gazing I came to hate the fucking moon, it drowns out low light objects and gets in the way. If there is a nebula near it, it is much harder to see the nebula properly.

I used to sit inside in the dark before using the scope to let my eyes adjust to the low light conditions and then if there was a full moon it would fuck that up as soon as I went outside and looked up.

• Like 3

On 15/11/2016 at 8:04 AM, Sallubrious said:

One time I lent my telescope to a bloke I knew and he couldn't even find the moon. He accused me of doing something to it as a joke. It turned out the stupid prick set himself up by "fixing" the finder because it looked like it was adjusted wrong.

I was lucky he didn't wrap it around a tree, he tried to find it for over an hour and his Mrs reckons he was getting seriously pissed off and cursing and screaming at me & the moon. He was still seriously pissed of when he returned it the next day.

When I was into star gazing I came to hate the fucking moon, it drowns out low light objects and gets in the way. If there is a nebula near it, it is much harder to see the nebula properly.

I used to sit inside in the dark before using the scope to let my eyes adjust to the low light conditions and then if there was a full moon it would fuck that up as soon as I went outside and looked up.

When I was younger as a child, I found or bought me a telescope.  just saying... one night the painted the scope black and I got ink all overthrough my eye, as if someoe specifically removed some of the internal mechanisms to ruin my perception on astrology, and then of those who enjoy it.

There was a certain technique I remember when reading on, certain C.I.A. investigations and psy op programs. If recovering from traumatic injury, or on the development of a brain injury, looking at neuroplasticity etc. one way to facilitate amnesia was to use specific dominant figures to force a subject into submission over the recollection of their own experience. Done with repetition and you have writing certain pathways to facilitate memory loss.

I also read that when using coercion they could, profile a certain individual and then mimic the body language of those who the individual is fond, essentially, building a false sense of security before exposing manipulations that break any trust the individual had left in the world.

Edited by manu

I feel for you Manu, my dad is a master of psy ops too. I could really go off on a tangent here.......

• Like 1

image.jpeg

Doh, stupid tiny thumbnail 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Amazonian
To say stupid tiny thumbnail. Lol
  • Like 2

image.jpg

there was a pretty epic tide on Tuesday morning though.. & the sea floor uplift in New Zealand when the quake happened was pretty crazy!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1