The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Perth things to do?

We're heading to Perth soon for no reason at all :D

What's worth seeing? We have nine or ten days totally free at this point. We might fly to Broome or somewhere north for a couple, are planning to drive south for the whole food/ scenery/ winery thing, and a mate told us about some awesome limestone outcrops a coupla hundred kay north of the capital. And the desert. I've never seen a desert before. Oh yeah, and King's Park... I wanna see King's Park. And watch the sun set over the ocean.

Have I just answered my own question? Or is there something I've missed?

It'll be great to have you DL! It sounds like you're coming with friends. Who else is coming along? You'll be here during peak wildflower season so doing the rounds through wildflower country would be a good option (bring a large capacity memory stick for the DC). The Pinnacles (ie those limestone outcrops) are good value. A lazy day snorkeling around on rottnest island is hard to beat when the weather is on. You'd be crazy not to go down south and see the valley of the giants. The best thing about the west coast is that you don't have to go too far to get away from people. Its pretty easy to find yourself on a completely isolated beach with no other people for miles and miles. I only hope I finish uni before you come over.

Fractalhead:

Who else is coming along?

Jes' me and my partner :)

A lazy day snorkeling around on rottnest island is hard to beat when the weather is on.

Ooh snorkelling! I LOVE snorkelling. Actually I've only really been snorkelling anywhere interesting once before, and that was earlier this year up the Barrier Reef. F*n better than DMT even, there's whole universes down there! Thanks for that fractal, that's a wunnerful idea! Wheee!

Its pretty easy to find yourself on a completely isolated beach with no other people for miles and miles.

*sigh* that's the only kind of beach I like :)

Will give you a ring when we land cob, check if yer busy. My partner prefers sailing to plants ( can you imagine? so we're gunna do some floating around if we can

Am considering trying to win my way into King's Park TC labs for a tour, no idea why wandering around someone else's work space looking at *their* blobs of cells in test tubes interests me so, and I'll prolly only get toy envy from looking at the schmick mickey mouse machines they have and I don't :) Talk me out of it- anyone?

Yeah. give us a call and we'll catch up.

Darklight:

And the desert. I've never seen a desert before.  

I'm living out in the harsh interior, although not quite the desert - the semi arid eucalypt woodland to be more precise. Do PM me if your planning on seeing some wildflowers out this way. I've just spent the weekend in search of these transient splendours of the desert; carpets of colour as they say. I did find a few speckled patches but was more interested in the other ethnobotanicals around. I'm thinking of putting together a log of my journeys and posting it on one of the forums as is the trend these days.

The pinnacles are worth a look in the evening - no tourists or rangers but the cosmos! Stunning! I watched the moon set at the pinnacles, and as it disappeared over the horizon, a spectactular ocean of stars came to life. Pure deepness.

Remember that there are vast distances to travel between some of these places you're thinking of. A lot of people come to WA and spend the whole time in their car. They need a holiday when they get home to recover from all the road rage. Once I was camping out down south and some guy pulls up in a four wheel drive. He leaves the motor running, jumps out of the car and whilst holding his video camera he turns around a full 360 degrees, in the space of about five seconds, before jumping back into his car and chewing up the dust. No hello, nothing. "Ego-tourism."

spaced:

Do PM me if your planning on seeing some wildflowers out this way.

Thanks for the offer spaced, it's very generous. Would love to take you up on it, and will talk to you soon :)