The Corroboree
Sulik114

Acacia Plebophylla pollination

Just a question, I have a really healthy plebophylla growing in Tassie about three years old it's about 2.5 metres tall now and has a flower stem forming, see photo.

My question is will the seeds once flowering is complete form and be viable if I only have the one tree. Can they self pollinate?

cheers and peace to all :)

image.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.be4de2791ecb13ce651e8c4041535db1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.be4de2791ecb13ce651e8c4041535db1.jpeg

• Like 1

Awesome man you've kept that beauty going!

ps when I collected my seed it was ripe in end of Jan and Ive heard they take 12mths to mature 

Edited by theuserformallyknownasd00d

Hi Dood, yes your small seedling really loves our cool climate. It only exhibited a little transplant shock when I transferred her to a large pot. I was worried because some people said that they usually die after that. Anyway shes in a good native soil mix with coarse river sand and crushed red granite I got from a tombstone cutting business. Gave me a big bag for free.

Anyway when you say it takes 12 months to mature do you mean the pods hang on the tree that long before opening?

Do they self pollinate?

cheers 

I'd guess that they can self (?), a lot of acacias can thats for sure. 

Hopefully it puts out some more reproductive growth.

Well done:wink:Looks like experiment in process.

Thanks mate, yes I hope to get a heap of Tassie climatised viable seeds, that way I can get more trees out to the community as it is a rare tree. Be nice to start of a mini plantation one day :) Not sure what the life span would be but you'd hope they could naturally reproduce themselves without having to propagate more seedlings. They are hard to get going from my experience with seeds I've got from this forum previously. Definitely going to be an interesting experiment :)

Take care bro,

• Like 1

Thanks mate, I'm really looking forward to seeing it flower and bear seed. Will do some posts including photos as this progresses.

cheers