The Corroboree
Bruce

Advice on Dragon Fruit grafting with Trich

Hi fellow SABers.

Im after some advice.  I needed to clear out my humidity chamber and ran out of my perk's.  So I grabbed a few pieces of Dragon Fruit for root stock and went to town on grafting a whole heap of thich's onto unrooted cuttings.  I wasn't expecting many to take and to my surprise I had a 80% success rate.  I moved some perk grafts outside a few months ago and they seem to have stalled in there growth.  They are in almost full sun 3/4 of the day.  I have been thinking of putting together 2 polystyrene eskys (one on top of each other) and adding some translucent film that they use for hot houses (Both top and sides) .  Would this be more beneficial to the dragon fruit grafts or the perk's?  Or should i just keep them in full sun?  2016-09-20 09.36.32.jpg2016-09-20 09.36.52.jpg 

57e07dc290334_2016-09-2009.36.32.thumb.jpg.9a72a831a7f1d46efc5192f6c0b28e7b.jpg

57e07de605dc5_2016-09-2009.36.52.thumb.jpg.ddc5a13130feecc943cc0577c7a10eba.jpg

57e07dc290334_2016-09-2009.36.32.thumb.jpg.9a72a831a7f1d46efc5192f6c0b28e7b.jpg

57e07de605dc5_2016-09-2009.36.52.thumb.jpg.ddc5a13130feecc943cc0577c7a10eba.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work!

Having some no root grafting plans too so i stumbled on this thread :D

How are they doing now?

I tried last year to put some grafts in the sun too and they struggled (they also had a lot of rain and cold too besides the sun)

I grow all of my grafts from start to finish in full sun if I use parafilm to hold them down. If I simply use a humidity chamber like yourself, I also move to shade for the first week or so and then gradually move them back to full sun. 

Great work by the way and congrats on 80% success rate.

Looking at your Pereskiopsis, I think there is some growth left in them if you want to leave them a little longer.

I've never thought of using dragon fruit before!

Just out of interest, whats the bottom picture you're using as a graft stock? I see the plant a lot and i'm not sure of its name :) 

1 hour ago, TheMooseZeus said:

I've never thought of using dragon fruit before!

Just out of interest, whats the bottom picture you're using as a graft stock? I see the plant a lot and i'm not sure of its name :) 

pereskiopsis, however its unlikely you would just see it around unless someone was using it for grafting stock... Its neither nice or beautiful, however its pretty useful grafting stock... I've got a feeling that you may be thinking of Sedum, which you would see in nurseries and gardens but it is not grafting stock....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MountainGoat said:

pereskiopsis, however its unlikely you would just see it around unless someone was using it for grafting stock... Its neither nice or beautiful, however its pretty useful grafting stock... I've got a feeling that you may be thinking of Sedum, which you would see in nurseries and gardens but it is not grafting stock....

Oh! i mean i see pictures of it online, i'll have to get some pereskiopsis sometime :) 

10 hours ago, TheMooseZeus said:

Oh! i mean i see pictures of it online, i'll have to get some pereskiopsis sometime :) 

yeah, it's use is for young seedlings. If you grow cacti from seed you should definitely try it out... Hit me up if you ever want any... 

• Like 1

nice 2 c I don't have to say anything, apart from everything is in good hands! ;)