The Corroboree

Hello all. I've been having some arthritis issues the last 5 years, with a long family history. My rheumatoid levels have been very high and also very normal over the last 12months and my doctor is hesitant to start ANY form of treatment. 

I used to be able to drink or smoke to keep up with it, now it's not even touching the sides and is a habit I don't want to keep.  Sleep only happens during the pass out period and once the beer wears off at 2am it's eyes wide open. The last 3 nights I have stopped drinking and tried reasonable doses of baclofen, Valium and codeine (all prescribed to me in the past) and nothing helped. 

What im getting at is its clear to me I need an anti inflammatory to help with the join my pains, some of which are slightly debilitating and starting to effect my work skills. Short of being turned down after the 4 visit, various blood tests and X-rays, he still insists I have tendinitis, RSI and suffer from the cold. Ps aspirin and the like do not work 

What can I buy over the counter or from overseas (that won't get my arrested) to help? Pain meds don't help so please none of these suggestions!

thanks for putting up with my winge and thx in advance for any advice :) 

My first suggestion would be to try a good quality bioavailable curcumin extract [1]

If you don't get results with that try other NSAIDs, or even something serotonergic [2]. Some 5-HT2A agonists have strong anti-inflammatory activity (reducing TNF-a and IL-6) at pM concentrations (below psychoactive levels) [3]

Best wishes.

• Like 2

https://cbdoilaustralia.org/

Endoca gear from Denmark homie. Saved my wife's sanity when she had reactive arthritis a while back.

Legit miraculous medicine.

• Like 1

Thx @Alchemica, I have some here I will start tomorrow, any dosage help? Sorry research brain is dead for tonight and will be capping at 5am before work ;)

thx @Responsible Choice, my CBD stash recently ran out I bought back from the states and finding a reliable fairly priced sourced is difficult. I'll look at your source. For me travelling in the states with just Valium as help, CBD was a saviour. Quality and price is just so sketchy in the market 

edit; those prices are too prohibitive to me. I've found 5g 40% CBD oil for the same price with a few seperate lab reports. What should people be looking for with their CBD purchases? 

Edited by theuserformallyknownasd00d
  • Like 1

You can try raw tumeric powder, give me a sec and I'll try and find more details.

These doses aren't backed by studies but you could use them as a starting point, I'd be going for higher doses than these ASAP if you're struggling:

"It’s a good idea to start gently and let your body adjust – 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric paste or powder, 3 times a day, is a great starting point.  Take note of how you feel and if it is giving any benefit.  Increase as you feel ready, but again just go gently – perhaps 1/2 teaspoon 3 times a day and so on."

Backed by studies:

If you can get an extract, 500mg twice daily of a Curcumin BCM-95 extract (I think that has piperine in it to make it more bioavailable, or a complex with a phospholipid) up to three grams of bioavailable curcumin extract, three to four times daily have been used.

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 1

I second the curcumin suggestion for sure.

This is the product I am talking about, which is available in Oz to be shipped next day sort of deal from the first link:

https://www.endoca.com/CBD_EXTRACT-9-RAW_Hemp_Oil_2000mg_CBD_CBDa_20

I have ordered from Endoca directly from Denmark, and had no dramas, apart from the wait. The Real Good Oil is re-bottled for much easier dosing though, so no more syringes.

Can be vapourised for rapid relief of symptoms, but is best absorbed via suppositories, hence the ones they sell.

Certainly not 40%, but decarbed 20-odd % and co2 extracted + organic + 10g.

It's the business. 

I was getting smashed by inflammation lately too.

A few things have helped me get back to an almost normal existence.

The first thing for me is always wheat, it's not so much the gluten as it is the zonulin/gliadin  reaction that causes the leaky gut and leads to a cascade that ends in cytokin storm. No-one else in my family has the problem but none of them have received blood transfusions either so maybe there's some underlying pathology that hasn't been documented playing a role in all of this.

Every time I fall of the horse and start eating wheat or glutenous products it comes back and bites me on the arse.

The curcumin/ turmeric as suggested above is working really for me. Most of the studies seem to be focused on isolated curcumin extract with additional pepperine, which works well, but I get much more benefit from whole turmeric & freshly cracked pepper in coconut oil. The coconut oil can in some ways bypass the normal digestive pathways and give your liver a quick hit of anything it has transported.

I have absolutely no evidence to back that last paragraph, but there's lots of "internet wisdom" that suggests curcumin is fat soluble and taking it with a source of fatty acids increases its bio-availabiltiy

Turmeric &  pepper coffee are now part of my normal daily routine, I tried golden milk but it it didn't appeal to me.

I also make my own dit da jao  & herbal anti-inflammatory salves. The dit da jao has kept me going for the last 15 years.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear you've been suffering buddy. Yep, I'm in the club too - been working through this crap for the last few years. I know "diet & exercise" is such a damn cliched & vague answer, but it's honestly the area that has had the most effects for me. I'm a big fan of laziness & eating whatever I like & taking drugs to patch me up again, so if that were a viable option I would totally be doing that. But I have tried almost all of the arthritis drugs out there, and the only things that have had a long-lasting positive effect on my pain & inflammation have been diet & exercise. Specifically:

* getting tested for food intolerances which might be triggering an inflammatory response from your body

* strength-building exercises for the muscles around affected joints, to help take some of the load off them

* including more general anti-inflammatory foods (eg. turmeric, pepper, chilli) in your diet, and limiting/avoiding anything sus - if you're really dedicated you can try elimination diets to ID problem foods, and personally also I found a ketogenic diet to have amazing benefits & wish I had a personal chef to keep this up for me all the time, it's just too much work for me to do a vego version fulltime.

* meditation. mindfulness, CBT and other mind-training stuff to help deal with the pain - it's not something I ever though that I'd do, but I've been working with a psychologist who has specific training in this area and was really pleasantly surprised by how helpful that was. I mean sure, sometimes pain is a useful signal, but in chronic pain the signalling system has clearly gone awry, and is causing distress for no real good reason - what I've slowly learned is that with training the distress can be separated from the pain, so that the signal still comes through, but your response to it is more neutral. It's like having a personal trainer for my mind - which is kinda awesome, very Bene-Gesserit.

* I also wrote about some other ideas in an old thread here.

And if you just needed a short-term fix, I'd second (or third, or fourth, or however many people have already suggested this) the turmeric/curcumin suggestion.

• Like 1

I've also heard that nightshades are notoriously inflammatory, so dodge the tomatoes, potatoes and eggplants for a bit.  

Thanks for all the replies! I haven't been ignoring things more so mulling them over. I wanna mull some more and come back when I have an attack plan :) diet is a big one I think tho!

ive had 2g turmeric extract from a mate and it's seemed to make things a lot more tolerable. I wanna buy the stuff with pepper and do it proper

Ginger is another good one Dood. It has some powerful anti inflammatory properties as well. It has a good track record in pain relief from RA and OA.

Ginger for RA

I ferment mine with onions and cabbage in a beet kvass, if I had fresh turmeric I'd be throwing that in the mix too. The onions and cabbage add a bit to the kvass but they are mostly there to make the fermented beets palatable. Fermented beets on their own are a bit like red water that's been used to soak old socks in. Together the onions. cabbage & all make an excellent anti inflammatory tonic.

I've planted a patch of ginger and turmeric and I'm waiting for it to come up. I won't get anything from it this year but these two rhizomes work so well that it's worth the wait to have my own supply of organic produce.

& again Dit da jao is awesome, mine has evolved into an east meets west mix of Chinese & western herbs with many powerful anti inflammatory compounds and it can soothe aches in minutes. Dit da jao roughly translates to hit fall wine and was used in Win Chun to heal injuries and to harden hands and joints in iron palm training. It's also widely used in the the symptomatic treatment of arthritis.

i wish i could find the link but on a vid i watched/listened/slept-to recently , I think it may have been a jim marrs vid?.... , but i recall the natrrator  saying about a device that apparently kills off the bacteria that causes it (as it feeds off the cartilage  until theres none left I heard)... according to this guy narrating he had a friend who was 75 yrs old and had the device,... used it whenever he felt it come on and it fixed it so he could carry on as normal -relatively...

i havent seen the device or anything but just havent had time to look it up yet ... , i wondered if it was some electrical device with a mild voltage/current/charge like the camera flash adapted device -the bob beck blood electrifier- that kills all known pathogens apparently ... ,

i gather its persecuted for saving too much money/life but when the chips are down  and desperate measures an all...?

Id've tried it myself by now but so many "gunna  projects" just havent been "dunner projects" yet ,....

anybody else know this path any deeper and know if it's a viable/good idea? / or if it's a same/similar contraption ?

I imagine it would do the same thing but just don't know...

However; one thing i do know is that the glucosamine sulphate i have been using lately seems to be helping free up my back and my dr hasnt got my arthiritis test results back yet but suspects it .... ,,dude i know with RA..;, a wrestler...
uses glucosamine sulphate with added chondroitin ...-taught me how to wait for holland and barrett's 75% off sales :3

@Sallubrious interested in Dit da jao after a good look about:wink: I see the list of potential ingredients is very broad, and there is a lot of secret family recipies about. If you have time and wanna share your recipe, I love to know:) ...lol...its time for another experiment.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions! I should have mentioned my last blood test recorded my iron was 60% higher than is needed by a human, I'm not sure if the extra iron floating around is contributing? Any suggestions here?

i like all these food suggestions. I used to do kefir religiously, and looking back I was probably the healthiest I had been for a long while, so I have reordered more grains and this will become a daily.

the turmeric extract I have is great. By day 3 I'm sure it's not a placebo and defiantly want to keep it going. As for raw herb I have a lot here I just harvested / replanted. Nice healthy organic rhizomes too. How do you prepare it in the coconut oil? I've capped coconut oil before with other herbs and this sounds like a good way for me to do it.  Would i simply make a very concentrated mix of herb/coconut oil and cook it for a few hours? Strain and cap? I think it might be best to use organic powdered material tho, thoughts? (I'd do the same with ginger)

i also think the alcohol needs needs to be curbed, if I am going to try all these natural remedies that seem to work there must be no point slugging beers each night and killing off any goodies... 

ive made some fermented food goodies before and was never really into the taste and the misso was never willing to try it due to the fermenting part... is the stuff in the health shops just as good as homemade? Any brands I should look for?

the more I read the more I think it's a gut / bacterial problem. You guys seems to be heading that way too with ya suggestions?

THANKS

Alcohol is notoriously bad for joint health, but much more so if you drink spirits, especially straight spirits. When I first gave up weed 10 years ago I was drinking a lot instead and my knees and ankles became very sore due to inflammation.

Probably also exacerbated by a rapid increase in weight at the time as well. I went from barely 60kg to over 90kg in the space of a year. 

I learned a lot about managing inflammation when I took up long distance running. Cold showers and baths are awesome if you can get past the mental challenge. Even in the dead of winter I turn off the hot water after a short time and go cold for as long as I can. It really helps in my case, if yours is from r/a, I don't know if it will be as effective. 

1 hour ago, Glaukus said:

Alcohol is notoriously bad for joint health, but much more so if you drink spirits, especially straight spirits. When I first gave up weed 10 years ago I was drinking a lot instead and my knees and ankles became very sore due to inflammation.

Probably also exacerbated by a rapid increase in weight at the time as well. I went from barely 60kg to over 90kg in the space of a year. 

I learned a lot about managing inflammation when I took up long distance running. Cold showers and baths are awesome if you can get past the mental challenge. Even in the dead of winter I turn off the hot water after a short time and go cold for as long as I can. It really helps in my case, if yours is from r/a, I don't know if it will be as effective. 

Got a source for cold showers and anti inflammatory properties or just anecdotal?

Never heard this before and it sounds interesting.

Thanks glaukus.  

I might try a cold shower tomorrow morning if i can force myself.

I wish i was a professor who could flippantly order a phd candidate to conduct a meta analysis of this.  Or a dictator...or wealthy.  All 3 would work really.

• Like 1

what about drinking ozonated water? - idea being the unstable 3rd oxygen molecule binding to extras in the body (in this case iron) and flushing out...

i read somewhere that drinking distilled water rips minerals from the body but dunno about selectivity for iron ... ? might be worth some research ...

read a fair bit about chelation therapy fixing autism (much faster in youngsters than oldies) by ripping out the mercury build up from stuffs like vaccines ... , dnno if its a possible home venture yet though ...

best i could think of for now on the excess iron ...

oh yeah the RA treatment device i was rambling on about earlier might be an electromagnetic implant ....

seems to be accepted in medicine all a sudden with outstanding results... dnno about how costly it may be to initiate tho

• Like 1