The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Rosie #2 freak out

Mate i really hate to be the bearer of bad news but that is not a roseii or even a peruvian.

It looks to be a nice bridgesii or bridge cross though.

Well done.

i have a babby roseii-2 OP variegate. i'm too scared to greft it cos the grafts ive done have dies

Sounds like your almost there DiscoStu, dont give up now 

Learning how to graft requires many failures, then some time to thinking about why it failed so you dont make the same mistake twice. 

So why did they die ? 

was it an infection along the line where you cut ? 

if so you need to dip your blades in metho before cutting so your cut is sterile, this should prevent infection 

Did the scion rapidly dehydrate ?

Maybe they didnt have enough humidity while recovering from surgery 

Maybe you need to harden them off into regular humidity a little slower 

Were the scions push off the top by fluids in the stock ? 

If so your stock needs to have dry roots to prevent them being pushed off by excess fluids 

this is by no means an exhaustive list, but it gives you some food for thought 

• Like 1

i don't think the scion joined properly and the top of the peres dried up and then went mouldy, 

i just have to get some more heeat pads befor giving it another go

Bugger.  I think I got this as a freebie from a reputable breeder/ grower.  I think he is a member here.   I was a bit concerned over the bridgesii looking spines.  Any idea on what bridgesii it could be or is it a bit too soon to tell?  

My Rosie #1 looks a lot different.  sorry about bad pic2016-09-11 20.08.40.jpgc.  

57d52fa959bc2_2016-09-1120.08.40.thumb.jpg.ec155014eb89a6cbb82431a4e57aefaa.jpg

57d52fa959bc2_2016-09-1120.08.40.thumb.jpg.ec155014eb89a6cbb82431a4e57aefaa.jpg

Change.   At what age is it good to graft unusual seedlings?  I have 2 seedlings that look red in a lot of SG OP Trich mix.  Kindly given to me from Olive.  They are now two ish weeks old.  

ideally you want everything to look the same as this video, made by one of the senior members here. 

41 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Change.   At what age is it good to graft unusual seedlings?  I have 2 seedlings that look red in a lot of SG OP Trich mix.  Kindly given to me from Olive.  They are now two ish weeks old.  

I've had good success grafting seedlings as young as two weeks old. 

• Like 3

I have watched this vid SSSSoooooo many times.  I'm not surprised it was a member here who made such an informative video.  Big thanks who made it.  Looks like I have a few weeks to wait to graft.

I have been doing grafts with a lot shorter root stock and some without roots at all.  Should i be more patient and not slice up a tall perri?

Ok  i have either mislabeled this beauty or i got the wrong info.  So now i am looking a cutting or rooted plant of Rosie #2.  Anyone interested in trade for some nice fat scop?  Alternatively I'm ok with a cash payment.