The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
niggles

Show me your chicken coop

Hey folks,

So I am still scratching my head over chicken coop design. I was hoping people might show me their setups to help me come up with a functional and inspired design.

I got snakes and sometimes hear dogs nearby so I need it to be pretty secure.

Let me see your designs and hear your ideas!

Cheers

Would a piece of pvc tubing with the fence-wire through the bore, would that stop snakes crawling over the top of the fence? Does that make sense? 

Lol I felt like doodling ... There should be more angle on the polycarb (darkest tint) hinged top roost. Use proper small 10mm chicken wire to stop the snakes. Even turn the bottom of the wire outwards to stop digging dogs. For the roost keep good ventilation with chicken wire front holes and dark tint Perspex or just more polycarb. I can't wait til we can get our chicken pen running, so many ideas and integrating the rabbits too :D

image.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.acf1c318147af71e0a4905faf72a2888.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.acf1c318147af71e0a4905faf72a2888.jpeg

Edited by FancyPants
  • Like 4

We original built one out of cypress, but then the mites got into it, and they LOVE wood.

Now we have a chicken tractor, which is all metal, and works really well. I have seen full on deluxe ones with fox chutes and all that, but they're only necessary if you want to fully free-range your chooks, and not have them in their own yard.

http://www.thechickentractor.com.au/  - super slow site though.

Good luck!

p.s. don't forget to investigate diatomacheous earth and dine a chooks, etc.

Thanks for the replies. Ireally like the idea of chicken tractor, but i feel like snakes will wriggle under the edges no problems, the areas I would use arent perfectly flat.

I like the idea of poly pipe to keep the snakes out... Ihave heard that guttering or pipe will keep snakes off but I kind of struggle to see it working. There is a 2+ metre pythong living in my roof and i feel like he would be able to just worm his  way over.

Anyhow what Iwas thinking was a nice snake proof coop and letting them free range in daylight. So Ireckon nice 10-20mm aviary wire on the open bits and secure doors should do it.

My grandad has made a nice little addition to his chook shed where there is a slidey tray under the roost so he collects most of the poop without any effort for fertiliser.