The Corroboree
waterboy 2.0

Heroin deaths spike as investigations begin into 'strong batch' in South Australia

Heroin deaths spike as investigations begin into 'strong batch' in South Australia

Posted

Toxicologists have begun investigating a spike in heroin-related deaths as emergency and health services are put on high alert in South Australia.

A public health warning has been issued after 10 South Australians died from overdoses of either heroin or the potent synthetic painkiller fentanyl since the start of July.

Minister for Mental Health and Substance Abuse Leesa Vlahos said on average in the state, there were one to two heroin-related deaths a month. For the first time since taking over the portfolio six months ago, she said there had been a spike in deaths and two of those were related to fentanyl. Those who died were aged between 31 and 56.

"There has been a spate of heroin-related deaths and the State Government has issued a public warning following the tragic drug overdose deaths," she said.

"It would seem there is a batch that's particularly strong that's out here.

"It is an important reminder that drug use can be fatal.

"We don't know where these illicit drugs are made, or mixed with, or [what] they contain, and even the smallest amount can result in death."

Ms Vlahos said emergency services like police, ambulance officers and healthcare staff had been alerted to the spike and it was being investigated by toxicologists.

She urged anyone who wanted support to overcome drug addiction to contact health services like Drug and Alcohol Services South Australia (DASSA).

Dr Chris Holmwood, from DASSA, said he was not aware of an overall increase in people using opioids.

"There are significant dangers associated with any illicit drug taking," he said.

"Drug use can have a devastating effect on the individual, as well as their families and the wider community."

People struggling with drug use can contact the Alcohol and Drug Information Service on 1300 131 340.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-23/warning-issued-as-heroin-deaths-spike-in-sa/7775542

Theres been some issues in Sydney recently as well......

• Like 1

Can they make on the spot potency testing kits available to the public?

^^^

I think it's unlikely - I don't know much about the specific chemistry involved here but generally quantitative tests are a bit more involved than qualitative ones like the positive/negative tests they use for on-the-spot swab/urine testing. Also, even if they could make a kit, what would the tests be testing for? There's no point testing your heroin potency if it turns out the powder in the bag is actually butyrfentanyl or something. Also some of the fentanalogues have microgram activity, which would need very sensitive tests - I doubt any kind of home kit would cut it.

I guess a home kit could tell you whether it's h or synthetic at least, so you could be on guard if it shows up as fent.

• Like 1

I am hoping it aint the start of the fentapocalypse:(

• Like 1