The Corroboree
zed240

Uploading pics to SAB that display as thumbnails, not full sized images by default

I'd love some help with uploading pictures to this new version of the SAB forums. 

Basically, I'd like to be able to upload them so they display in a similar way to how they used to. As small thumbnails which people can choose if they want to click on and load the larger image. You could choose to have these thumbnails display in a horizontal line next to each other, or make them display under each other. 

Old threads that were created in this way still seem to retain the same look and usability as they did previously, but I'm yet to see someone make a post/thread that behaves the same way since the forum was updated to a new version slightly earlier in 2016. 

See this link for an example of the "old style". You'll notice that the OP and another post has the old style where you can choose to enlarge the images or not, then the later posts made in August 2016 the images are the newer, large style. 

I prefer to be able to upload images as thumbnails that can be enlarged rather than as full sized images by default for a few reasons, including ease of reading posts with some detail that use pics to explain things, and not having to load full size images for every single picture before I can read the thread. 
Threads like the "What did you do to your cactus" and "Tricho flowers" threads will become huge and unwieldy to use and load each time. When you want to open it up (especially on mobile or slow connections), and just read the latest post every image in the thread is now downloaded in full. 

So for some new posts I'd like to make that require a number of pics to explain the gist of what I'm getting at I'd really like to be able to do it in the old way. So I can write a line or two, show a pic or two to explain what I'm taking about, then another line of text followed by the next picture/s and so on. Hopefully people understand what I'm getting at here.....

BTW, I did try and add pics to the gallery first, thinking I could then insert them into a post as a thumbnail you can choose to enlarge or not, but I couldn't seem to make it work like that. It was still a large image or nothing.

I'm hoping there is just something simple I'm missing that means this is still possible. Some guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks, SABers!

Zed

• Like 1

I think it is a admin setting.. The default display image size might be set quite large, someone with admin login should be able to change to a smaller size ie. 150px x 150px... Or something...

Actually that would still load the full IMG data .??

I think the max upload size should be scaled back a bit too, 2mb was a bit small but upload limit should help the forum run smoother as the server would be serving less data..???

Edited by doublebenno

being old, half blind, sexy, unwashed and possess a hint of sarcasm - i was quietly rapt when the new version allows you to see full images without having to log in......used to piss me off no end  -espesch when i was too munted to remember passwords etc.

i can understand your viewpoint zed240 - keeping the image small allows the site to run smoother too but i - for 1 -will unequivocally state that the new auto big view is one i want to see sab stick with hence forth..........or is it just me that can see all images now without the need to 'log on' for friggs sake

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, etherealdrifter said:

being old, half blind, sexy, unwashed and possess a hint of sarcasm - i was quietly rapt when the new version allows you to see full images without having to log in......used to piss me off no end  -espesch when i was too munted to remember passwords etc.

i can understand your viewpoint zed240 - keeping the image small allows the site to run smoother too but i - for 1 -will unequivocally state that the new auto big view is one i want to see sab stick with hence forth..........or is it just me that can see all images now without the need to 'log on' for friggs sake

I believe that change came through with the recent update. I never used to be able to see any images unless I was logged in either, now I can see the images no matter which computer I use and if I'm logged in or not. That change seems retrospective with all old images now being visible to me when I'm not logged in, not just the newer images. 

I sort of think they are probably 2 separate things, but maybe if/when Torsten or other admins see this they might be able to enlighten us on both issues. 

I'd even be happy if there was the option to have the images you upload display as thumbnails or as full size, at the discretion of each poster at the time they make their posts. That way I could make my nice, neat, anally retentive posts and others could just post full sized if they prefer. :wink:

• Like 1

On 11/08/2016 at 5:10 PM, etherealdrifter said:

as if Tristan reads what we write about anyway Zed240:bong:

You may very well be right.

Some sort of response from admin would certainly be appreciated though. 

• Like 1

having a quick look at IPS help it is possible @zed240, the admin sets 'Maximum Image Size' in their control panel - the default setting appears to be huge.........

This sets the max dimensions of the image displayed, if a user uploads a file larger than this, a copy of the file at the reduced dimensions (max file size setting) is created and displayed, the original, full sized image file is obtained by clicking the displayed thumbnail image.....  super easy fix, just depends on if admin agrees its necerssary.

https://invisionpower.com/4guides/how-to-use-ips-community-suite/managing-your-community/general-posting-control-r22/

• Like 1

@zed240 , maybe this can help you..? anyway I just did a post with a couple piccies, so it seems that after you upload the image and click the '+' to add the attatchment to your post you can double click the image within your post (the pic actually in the post window now) and it will give you the option to change the image dimensions... this is the display size, you you can specify whatever size you like, and when a user wishes to see the pic they can then click to view full sized image... I assume this is creating a thumbnail and not simply resizing the full size image with html.

So... this may help you with YOUR posts but unfortunately the default setting means that the forum will still run like a bucket of shit with those huge data heavy threads......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doublebenno said:

@zed240 , maybe this can help you..? anyway I just did a post with a couple piccies, so it seems that after you upload the image and click the '+' to add the attatchment to your post you can double click the image within your post (the pic actually in the post window now) and it will give you the option to change the image dimensions... this is the display size, you you can specify whatever size you like, and when a user wishes to see the pic they can then click to view full sized image... I assume this is creating a thumbnail and not simply resizing the full size image with html.

So... this may help you with YOUR posts but unfortunately the default setting means that the forum will still run like a bucket of shit with those huge data heavy threads......

If this works for me I will be very happy!

It'd be great, (IMHO), if it was the default setting, like you say, to keep other threads smaller and more unwieldy. But you've gotta be thankful for the small things! I'll give it a try below....

Cactus and Apricot blossom.jpg

[edit] - You're a fucking champion @doublebenno ! Worked like a charm!

57c4d504db914_CactusandApricotblossom.thumb.jpg.84ca356d31264df0b5d12b4b007fe50f.jpg

57c4d504db914_CactusandApricotblossom.thumb.jpg.84ca356d31264df0b5d12b4b007fe50f.jpg

Edited by zed240
To thank DB!
  • Like 1

Thumbnails are good, but maybe not as small as they used to be. Have established thumbnails [sorry ethereal drifter :P]. Let me know how the size I just set works out.

• Like 1

Sorry if i am way behind on this, but can i still post full size images rather than just thumbnails when i upload them? It seems 100x75 the maxwhen hitting the little plus to add images. Also... my images keep coming out sideways.. im viewing them beforeupload and looks good.

Example:20161012161903_IMG_0155.JPG

20161012161903_IMG_0155.thumb.JPG.2c87cc79a456788378b0416137668cff.JPG

20161012161903_IMG_0155.thumb.JPG.2c87cc79a456788378b0416137668cff.JPG

not sure about the sideways thing. You probably turned it on your phone, but it hasn't saved the turn.
The images are there in full size, but will only display in thumbnails if above a certain size. This is so that members with small devices don't have their formatting screwed up to the point of threads being unreadable. It also saves on mobile data download.
Not sure if you realise, but the image you posted is actually full size [once you click on it].

@niggles I remember the sideways issue being resolved by actually adding the uploaded image to your post.. Ie, when you select the file to upload, and the transfer is complete u can hit the plus sign on the file thumbnail to add it to your post. It will insert the image into where you have the cursor, if you don't do this it will add it to the message sideways..... This was the solution prior to the upgrade though, I havent tested since...

• Like 1