The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
theuserformallyknownasd00d

Ever adopted a dog? Pros/cons or stories?

Oh and she's chewed 2 cactus tops, sent a cliff cutting 2 foot from its pot and knocked a well root Rosie out of the ground... We have several cactus spine checks a day... But all those incidents were in the first week and I've only every found 1 spine.. It's wierd.

• Like 1

Hey d00d, hows your dog going mate, piper is it? hopefully you still have her and haven't had many more dramas along the way?

We're going to go check this puppy out on Saturday. Potentially adopt him from West Nowra pound.
There is not much info in the link, dad seems to think hes got Labrador and Staffy in him (I think he spoke to the shelter)
http://www.southcoastregister.com.au/story/4672898/adorable-thor-is-pawfect/

If a dog is 18 months old can you go about renaming him/her or is the sound memory already entrenched?  Not feeling the name Thor... lol

Just finished my electrical apprenticeship & I'm having a gap year to start a cacti garden and learn mycology, so the addition of a beautiful little companion only makes sense considering I'll be home for the next 12 months. The dog will have free rein down the beach and where ever the fk it wants, inside, in my bed. As long as they are deflee'd your own bed is the best place for the doggies to sleep each night :P
In a town of only 250 residents (ghost town) I don't think much can go wrong, as long as hes chipped and has an address and name on his collar, the people around here are pretty good.
WP_20170518_12_35_17_Pro.thumb.jpg.cd20fb5a03ff400429263a0fb09684af.jpg

Edited by Skellum
  • Like 1

A good friend decided to adopt a greyhound, when all them greyhounds where getting handed in when the gov tossed around with making it illegal. Everything went swimmingly until her 3yr old son decided to lay in its bed. Son required 72 stitches to his rib area and back. 

^ jesus fucking christ man thats horrific

Grey hounds I've always found hard to read, weather they are having fun or what... You can't really tell by their faces, I guess unless your intimate with the dog and know it well.
Staffys on the other hand, you can read like a human very very expressive & generally in a good mood unless the owner is a cunt.

That doggie looks like an absolute champion mate, Skellum! What gorgeous eyes he's going to be a ripper! But you'll know if you have the conne3ction when you meet :D

One of my family friends' adopted a greyhound and she loves her dog and reckons they're great, I personally don't have much experience with them so don't know, but I have known a lot of staffys and they and cattle dogs are my favourites. Not keen on Thor either lol He looks like a Blackjack (Jack) to me, but you'll know what feels right.

FWIW I won't ever let a dog sleep on my bed... cats for beds, dogs for cars YMMV I've known too many dogs with boundary issues when they're allowed full rein with sleeping on beds and up on lounges. I'm quite stern with dog boundaries. I don't allow the cats on the kitchen benches either, safety and hygiene...

• Like 1

Yeah my mums got pug dogs, cute little fuckers but docile & dumb as hell...

I know what your saying about boundary problems too. Her pugs love to sleep up on the headrest of the lounge.
They always have curled up tails too, so there butts wipe all over the headrest and you get wiffs of shite while your chillin' there, quite revolting actually...

Jacks a better name than Thor, bloody anything has got to be though doesn't it.
I was thinking maybe George, you know... Boy George...    :P
"George"  and  "Thor"      have similar phonetics too, so hopefully it wouldn't be too much of a difficult transition for him. hehe.

Edited by Skellum

Pugs are cute as hell, known some funny little buggers but I think I'd lose it with the training aspect lol.

George is cool :D I don't think dogs get too confused over a new name, they'll probably never forget an old name but a new name won't phase them considering how many verbal commands they can learn. My cats know their names and also the myriad other nicknames I give them lol. But all three know who I'm talking to at any particular point - and one of the cats is as dumb as a pug

• Like 1

Dang, Thor was taken already. There was only about a dozen dogs at the shelter. Lots of troubled lookin' pooches   :(   seemed like a cold wet canine prison.

The hunt continues.

• Like 1

Hey Skelly yep all going very well mate! We haven't missed a beat!

I am a shift worker tho and she's almost never alone for longer than 3-4hrs.. on the odd occasion she does 18hrs by herself overnight we might get some chewing in the yard...

Won't let anyone thru the gate even if she knows them, with one exception due to lots of training and practice whilst were away or at work. 

Basically.. go adopt a staffy..!! Gong has plenty, I saw a lab x staffy mix for adoption at the million paws walk over the weekend 

• Like 1

I stuck my head over the gate the other day & whacked the fence to see if my mutt was on duty. I was downwind from him so he couldn't smell me and he didn't realise it was me. He came around the corner growling with fangs showing and a ridge of hair standing up right down his back.

I haven't seen him get his wolf on before, so it was surprising and funny at the same time. Anyone that didn't know him would have been intimidated and probably wouldn't come into the yard.

Maybe he's earning his keep after all. About time too, all he did for the first 6 years was destroy everything I had a hand in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, theuserformallyknownasd00d said:

What type of dog mate??

He''s a purebred mongrel. His mother was a golden retriever and his dad was a kelpie X cattle dog.

Smartest dog I've ever had & the craziest. I trained him to respond to facial gestures and winks ect when he was a pup and now he can read me like a book.

Now he's about my age in dog years he's finally started to chill out and he's turned into the best dog I've ever had.

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

• Like 4

Yeah true, I could have murdered him well over a hundred times. The electric fence healed our relationship, not waking up to garden full of dug up psychotrias and Acacias every morning allowed me to almost regain the sanity I lost doing it every second day for 5 years. So I have one part of the garden and he has the rest. 

He's destroyed thousands of dollars worth of ethno plants in pots and excavated almost everything I've ever planted out. The only way anything survives when planted in the soil is if it's behind an electric fence or caged off & has a mountain of bricks or something at its base that can't be dug up.

He's taught me to relinquish any silly ideas of ownership or possession.  After I finally gave up on the idea of owning anything or thinking I could create a nice backyard for humans to be in my stress levels came almost back to baseline. It's a wasteland out there but it's his wasteland. Now when I walk outside it's under the proviso that when I see the trail of destruction I won't let it get to me. Zen lessons from a dog.

Edited by Sallubrious
  • Like 2

Sounds hardcore... Setting up an electric fence around your trichos, he wouldn't even cock a leg near them  :P

Ginger:
ginger4.thumb.jpg.f8dc1b028b86a48957de473989e53a81.jpg

3 year old staffy cross jack russel.
ginger3.thumb.jpg.7d1edcecdf365b277f4d616ec0c6273d.jpgginger1.thumb.jpg.a3f4476ae56fde4e64abda49995c34ad.jpgginger2.thumb.jpg.1c3f2b8f13f77013b51ca17226d66db4.jpg
just given birth via c-section and raised her 8 puppys for two months then was put in the pound.
not sure her history really other than she come from orange area and most likely has never seen the beach.

we picked her up two days ago, beautiful extremely loving affectionate dog.
the people at the shelter said she seems like she may have been beaten, shes very flinchy and frighty.
shes bolted from me once down the beach because another male came of the surf to our left and she just turn around and ran.
from only two visits down to the beach she knew her way back home... we came back freaking out we'd be in the car driving around for hours looking for her, but she was curled up on the lounge.
let herself in the back door, knew exactly what to do. hopefully she will come good with time and wont be so scared of other male humans,
shes fine with all number of old grandmas down on the sand and other girls its just the blokes shes scared of.

seems clever and loyal and very loving... shes seen trauma i think though, your not this sheepish around people unless you have...
hope she relaxes a bit and settles in and starts to realize no one is going to belt the fuck out of her, she knows we wont... its just other people... little stress head  :P

ginger3.thumb.jpg.7d1edcecdf365b277f4d616ec0c6273d.jpg

ginger1.thumb.jpg.a3f4476ae56fde4e64abda49995c34ad.jpg

ginger2.thumb.jpg.1c3f2b8f13f77013b51ca17226d66db4.jpg

ginger3.thumb.jpg.7d1edcecdf365b277f4d616ec0c6273d.jpg

ginger1.thumb.jpg.a3f4476ae56fde4e64abda49995c34ad.jpg

ginger2.thumb.jpg.1c3f2b8f13f77013b51ca17226d66db4.jpg

• Like 3

Ah man, she is gorgeous. I can really feel the love you have by the way you wrote about her, Skellum.

Easy to see why she trusts you. Beautiful, mate. Thanks for sharing. 

And welcome to the forum, Ginj.:).

• Like 1

beautiful hound Skellum, well dun man!!

• Like 1

shes a lovely little fat nippled POOOOCH
a welcomed new member to our family...

loving life  :)

EDIT:
I've sussed her out now, its other male humans that freak her out.
If there is an approaching male down at the beach I just stay really close with her,
maybe kneel down and pat her or even pick her up till we get around them & shes sweet.
If the approaching male has a female partner shes fine too. All girls young or old shes perfect with.

Improving with the males too - still nervous though.

Edited by Skellum