The Corroboree
sagiXsagi

Banisteriopsis caapi cultivation notes and discussion

14 minutes ago, Glaukus said:

Seasol is good, I'd probably advise a more organic nutrient than powerfeed, but that's just me, there's nothing wrong with it per se.

What do you recommend, if you don’t mind?

I’d prefer to go with the better/organic.

sorry I’m a beginner with plants and still building my knowledge

Human urine, from a healthy diet, is amazing free organic fert for vegetative growth.

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of a product called Organic Link, but a wise caapi man once told me that they love blood and bone, and that the vine is quite the polisher of skulls given the opportunity. :wink:

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Responsible Choice said:

I'm a big fan of a product called Organic Link, but a wise caapi man once told me that they love blood and bone, and that the vine is quite the polisher of skulls given the opportunity. :wink:

Cheers man I’ll look into organic link and a bit of blood and bone.

Hey, I decided to try to strike some caapi cuttings in a glass of water. I can say that it works.

Fertiliser wise I'm a big fan of Charlie Carp because it helps make use of an invasive species and I can use it on fruit and veg, orchids, natives and cacti without the risk of burning them. 

Edit - Maybe if I'm not lazy then I'll take some photos of the caapi cuttings in the water. They're inside where they're sheltered and I'm using a 130 watt fluorescent grow lamp which is what I often use to strike cuttings with. 

Edited by migraineur
  • Like 2

On 17/02/2021 at 10:21 PM, migraineur said:

Hey, I decided to try to strike some caapi cuttings in a glass of water. I can say that it works.

yep it works - if its not the most warm time of the year, one could use a heat pad which increases the root formation rate a lot... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sagiXsagi said:

yep it works - if its not the most warm time of the year, one could use a heat pad which increases the root formation rate a lot... 

Yeah, I got my heated propagation chamber out of my storage room and I might use it for my iboga cuttings as I head into Autumn. It's still warm here though at the moment which is handy. 

20 hours ago, rottenjonny said:

What would be the recommendation for potting medium or soil prep?

My rooted cuttings are in coir.

When they're ready to be transplanted to a bigger container then I use Baileys 25L Premium Potting Mix which is $10 from Bunnings. I add perlite to help with drainage, aeration and to prevent compaction of the soil. 

If you want the soil to hold more moisture then you could mix some coir into the soil and perlite mix. 

On 04/03/2021 at 12:27 AM, rottenjonny said:

What would be the recommendation for potting medium or soil prep?

nothing special, they like full on nutricients though and a big root space.. it goes nuts if you put it in the ground

Edited by sagiXsagi