The Corroboree
Marty Achuma

Best carrier liquid for dilute medicine?

Hi,

The title says it all. I have tried to look this simple piece of information up online to no avail. 

What is the best carrier liquid to use to dilute medicine?

To enable a relatively stable preparation, minimun degradation.

h2o

• Like 1

Well that wasn't very helpful D00d! Ha ha. Thanks for the reply anyway.

There must be some standard. Something better than water?

I guess 80% proof alcohol will work and kept in the fridge. Beside a amethyst crystal for good measure. 

What would a compounding pharmacy use? 

lol...it depends on what the "medicine" is , and what its chemical properties are...not everything can be stored in water or alcohol.....

Its not a simple piece of information as the question is open as ....

lol...same again

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Achuma said:

Well that wasn't very helpful D00d! Ha ha. Thanks for the reply anyway.

There must be some standard. Something better than water?

I guess 80% proof alcohol will work and kept in the fridge. Beside a amethyst crystal for good measure. 

True. You've caught me on a shit day, and it's not getting better.

what do you want to store Marty? Like WB has said there won't be a one size fits all option. So... How longs that bit of string!

• Like 1

I'll use armodafinil as my example. It's barely soluble in water, barely soluble in acetone, but soluble in methanol. So obviously water isn't going to be your friend here. But according to the h20 responses it should be fine in water?! Sometimes there are rude answers but sometimes there's unanswerable questions without extra info ;)

• Like 2

I dislike straightup water for long-term storage. Unless you've got some real clean preparation practices, it won't be sterile and so it'll get stuff growing in it eventually if stored at room temp or fridge temp. And yes, you can store it in the freezer, but then you have the issue of thawing. People can be lazy sometimes, or not understand that a half-thawed aqueous solution of something will be a different strength than the original solution (for the same reason that salty seawater freezes to become freshwater ice-caps). And if you're rushing to thaw something you need to use heat, which is bad news for less-stable compounds. I'm sure there are preservatives you can add, but I don't know anything about these, and they are possibly not the sort of thing that most people would have in their kitchens.

For medium-term storage I favour ethanol solutions. But as dood said, there are so many goddamn caveats on that that it's almost useless as a recommendation. I don't know the solubility of indefinite strings.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Im tapering off mirtazapine from 3.75mg (1/4 or a 15mg tab). Best sleeping medicine btw, as long as you get the right dose. 

I diluted in water (refrigerated) but found drop off in effect by the end of the week. I was down to 1mg over a few months, however when my daughter started waking me up, traveling and shift work, and it all went to the shit.

I found the following info in case anyone else is interested. 

Mirtazapine tapering info; 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5301-tips-for-tapering-off-remeron-mirtazapine/

How to make liquid form;

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

Some possible factors for stable liquid dose;

https://www.google.com/patents/EP1067934B1?cl=en

What about glycerine? its good for digestion as well

• Like 2

Yes glycerine!

I have drums of it in the shed from making biodiesel... I will never run out. In fact I might need to buy some more medicine

So you have the tablets why not just do the math and workout the volume of the tablet then work out active content per mg when you start fucking with stable compounds .The risk of degrading is high .I have to use special lights in my missle silo while making drums of lsd .You can shake the collection flask and it will light up as it degrades