The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yeti101

DMT story in MSM

DMT is becoming more popular in Australia

IT’S incredibly euphoric and your mind loses all sense of reality.

Olivia Lambert @LivLambert 

Earth is amiss and you’re travelling to a new dimension with a kaleidoscope of colours smothering and intoxicating you.

This is what it’s like to hallucinate on DMT, a drug that is being used more and more in Australia and experts say they don’t even know a lot about it.

It’s one of the most powerful psychedelic narcotics that derives from plants in the Acacia species and it warps your sense of seeing and being.

DMT, also known as Dimethyltryptamine or Dream Time, was historically used as a “journey to find yourself” but experts believe it’s now more dangerous and becoming less natural and more synthetic.

Anybody can get their hands on DMT through the dark web and one in four listings for the psychedelic drug on the website are from Australia.

Forensic toxicologist Andrew Leibie said DMT was a tryptamine, a new class of psychoactive substances.

It’s born from the ground like magic mushrooms and has a similar psychedelic effect.

“It’s pretty rare at the moment,” Mr Leibie said.

“What tends to happen with all these newer types of drugs is the drug is not particularly toxic but the hallucinations are violently real.”

Mr Leibie said it was dangerous if people were buying it off the street because drug manufacturers were trying to replicate the high you get from the plant.

“It’s something that is increasingly being designed in a laboratory. It might be an innocuous plant but when you don’t know what else is in there and it can be a real problem. It could be cut with something more dangerous,” he said.

Not a lot is known about DMT yet. Picture: National Geographic Channel

Not a lot is known about DMT yet. Picture: National Geographic ChannelSource:Supplied

While some describe the trip as a spiritual journey, others have found the drug to be terrifying.

Non-profit educational and harm-reduction resource Erowid has reported the experience of a first-time DMT user.

“The experience itself was as if someone crosswired my five senses and put my brain into an infinite feedback loop,” they said.

“There were no elves. There was no dark matter. There was no room, people, chair, or anything but my mind looking at itself looking at itself looking at itself.

“I had a concept that five minutes of this would melt my brain and I would die. And I realised that death would not save me but I would be like this until the end of the universe. It was the most terrifying, horrifying experience I have had or could imagine having.

“When I came to, I was told that I had screamed at the top of my lungs for three minutes. I had bitten my hand so hard that I had broken through the skin.

“I had given myself a black eye, scratched my face, one eyeball and both my eyelids.”

Forensic toxicologist Andrew Leibie says DMT is mostly synthetic in Australia.

Forensic toxicologist Andrew Leibie says DMT is mostly synthetic in Australia.Source:Supplied

Mr Leibie said DMT was just another addition to the evolving drug scene.

“Every six months or so we are talking about a new drug,” he said.

“The ice epidemic hasn’t gone away but drugs are so freely available and people can experiment with a wide range of compounds.

“The scientific community is struggling to catch up. Compounds that haven’t even been tested yet are being consumed by dozens of Australians on the weekend.

“Scientific knowledge about these drugs are behind of where the people are.”

Drug Info NSW says DMT is a powerful hallucinogenic with a chemical structure similar to psilocybin, a compound produced by more than 200 species of mushrooms.

The organisation said most DMT drugs bought on the street were synthetic.

In its purest form it’s a crystal but on the street it’s usually in a powder form. 

The 2013 National Drug Strategy Household Survey found that 9.4 per cent of Australians aged 14 and above had tried hallucinogens including magic mushrooms and LSD.

Drug Info NSW says the hallucinogens can have long-term effects and cause spontaneous recurrences of something that happened while somebody was on the drug.

They can occur for days, weeks and even years after taking it.

It can also affect your memory and prolong depression and anxiety.

Others however argue DMT can actually be a treatment for mental illness.

Melbourne based IT consultant Grant Eaton watched the documentary DMT: The Spirit Molecule and travelled to Peru to find a plant with DMT to cure his lifelong depression.

He had never tried drugs before and said the plant benefited him in ways exercise, diet, counselling and pharmaceuticals couldn’t.

When's that TGA decision happening again? Amazing timing. Probably a coincidence. Not great press though. 

• Like 2

So basically they are saying Aussie stuff is mostly synthetic? By synthetic do they mean people used chemicals to isolate it or it's completely synthetic as most of us understand synthetic? Doesn't sounds right that people would do a proper synth on something that is apparently so freely available in nature (like the story says!)

Typical journalism I guess. Now I'm confused... What's a dmt drug? 

• Like 3

New class of psychoactive called tryptamine, sounds exotic!

• Like 5

Gotta love MSM scare tactics. 

• Like 1

Wot Uttar Garbadge.

Crazy how the article ends with a teensy bit about a man called Greg Eaton gaining some benefit from DMT. This is quoted from a public post from his facebook.

"For friends found by the Spirit Molecule: I was stunned to read my name at the very bottom of a sensationalist Australian click-bait story when I woke up this morning. The only reason I found this story was because it was positioned at #3 on news.com.au and I sometimes indulge in reading silly click-bait like this. Imagine my surprise to read a blurb about me in the article's conclusion. The author didn't even contact me to let me know she was running a story. I never heard of the author. I think why she mentioned me was that nearly four years ago, a *different* Queensland university journalism student contact me for an interview after watching a short Aya doco I put on Vimeo. Apparently that other student's interview with me got used by a different author (now 4 years later!) and for a different subject (before: Aya, now: the Spirit Molecule itself) in order to footnote this sensationalist rubbish. I Tweeted a couple annoyed remarks to the author and @newscomauhq. Although I didn't ask to be affiliated with this piece, and don't agree with its tone or content, I guess I'm happy that the words attributed to me are the only positive-sounding information in what is otherwise a scary-sounding, eye-rolling puff-piece of yellow journalism. I share this for *tabloid entertainment purposes only.* Almost all this story's content is inaccurate, needlessly sensational and melodramatic, incomplete, or misleading. The Spirit Molecule is already in us and pretty much all life forms on the planet, a key fact these articles ALWAYS leave out."

• Like 1

my random comment earlier:

The journalism is that piss poor it not funny....

EDIT - I'd also guess that Andrew Leibie is being quoted out of context as well

Edited by waterboy 2.0

On 7/22/2016 at 7:15 AM, theuserformallyknownasd00d said:

So basically they are saying Aussie stuff is mostly synthetic? By synthetic do they mean people used chemicals to isolate it or it's completely synthetic as most of us understand synthetic? Doesn't sounds right that people would do a proper synth on something that is apparently so freely available in nature (like the story says!)

Typical journalism I guess. Now I'm confused... What's a dmt drug? 

I am guessing that  DMT  and possibly 5 MEO DMT are naturally occurring tryptamines , harvested and isolated for sale on the DNMs .  The  4 - subs , etc , are probably synthetic , originating in Chinese , etc , labs for sale in the west on the DNMs .