The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sagiXsagi

Hylocalicium chimera

Well obviously, this is a chimera of the classic red/pink gymnocalicium typically grafted on Hylocereus stock. I am not sure if they're still doing this in europe or all material is produced in asian countries, Ι mean all this grafting of coloured sciones on hylo in mini pots. 

P1150806.jpgimage hosting services

it seems cool and it seems its growing from a small pup present on arrival now... 

I didnt find anything on it, apart from 2 photos of the same clone, lets say.. 

I owned another chimera which was killed, it was a myrtilocalicium grafted on myrti, this time its an own root plant... 

I am not sure whether a chimera can be maintained in a plant or if its something that fades away... 

this own root hylocalicium might be the ideal candidate to play with the chimera thing... 

Wish my good luck, I am very afraid I will kill this too... also the red areas seem to be ver sensitive to light, and I am hesitant to bring this to mor light.. 

P1150807.jpgimage hosting services

Of course anyone with any experience with chimeras are invited to chime in and share their experience...

like I said, I think I might kill this too, I hope I could get a couple others going, but in any case I will try to add photos of it as it grows during that season.... 

P1150805.jpgimage hosting services

• Like 4

I wonder how/if it will flower ? Dont see many chimera over this side of the world. Lovely plant sagi

Hylocalicium tend to revert with gymnocalicium pups and isn't a stable chimera with most grafts reverting completely due to quick growth. The chimera can flower however it will be the flower of one or the other plant and not a hybrid flower.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2016 at 4:48 AM, modern.shaman said:

Hylocalicium tend to revert with gymnocalicium pups and isn't a stable chimera with most grafts reverting completely due to quick growth. The chimera can flower however it will be the flower of one or the other plant and not a hybrid flower.

and so seemed to be with Myrtilocalicium... I wonder whether there is some stable chimera after all... 

I have seen a Hylocalicium that seemed to have the pink parts fading, not changing to gymno... we'll see... 

Edited by sagiXsagi