The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zedo

P. Viridis leaf curl

So my lil baby P. Viridis has a bit of a leaf curl. Edges seem crispy too. Suggestion and ideas are welcomed. 

For your knowledge:

kept indoors, next to window with indirect sunlight all day till 3pm-ish then direct sunlight till 5-ish

soil has lots of perlite to keep airy

SEQ weather 

i tried to up the humidity over a 2-3week period and saw no improvement.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.eab55a8a82eedd81f29614aa38017f1a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a458a845e3a00659ac695f32646064e8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.eab55a8a82eedd81f29614aa38017f1a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a458a845e3a00659ac695f32646064e8.jpeg

I could be wrong, but it looks like mite damage to me. In saying that though, I've never had a problem with mites on psychotria even when they've been in close proximity to plants that had mites.

Get a magnifying glass with a minimum 10x magnification and look on the underside of the leaves for any tiny creatures or their eggs. You can find lots of images of mites etc online that will help you determine if this is the cause of your problem. If it is mites, they are a bastard to get rid of without systemic treatment. 

• Like 1

Crap. Your spot on. Didn't need a magnifying glass. There's heaps. Hmm a bugger hey. I dunno where they came from. time to research mites 

• Like 1

Man, I feel your pain. I hate mites. I bought a chilli plant a few years ago that introduced the little bastards into my garden and they laid waste to a lot of plants. Go hard on them early, don't mess around.

• Like 2

Washed/wiped the plants gently and dowsed it in my partners rose spray for everything bad. Will see how this goes and report back.

thanks again. I didn't even consider a pest as the problem. 

• Like 1

Try to raise The humidity a tad... A few stakes and a plastic bag over the plant combined with some sprays should kills the mites And prevent their returning is best. High humidity should be ya best trick.. Move it away from any other mite plants ;) ;)

albeit hit the hydro store for some mite rid...

Edited by theuserformallyknownasd00d
  • Like 2

Oh ok so higher humidity is less desirable by mites?

• Like 2

Fungas gnats got mine and ate root system away. Similar symptoms... didn't suspect pests either. Also from SEQ.

I'll have to check when I get home. But I can't recall seeing any flying things around inside. Thanks

Stating this is the first time I am growing this plant that came as a cutting created from leaf cutting from a nice saber, mine did these curls too, I didn't think it was a pest either. I thought it was the plant having some trouble to free its new leaves and I thought too it was due to a new plant being acclimatised in a drier situation, but with every new leaf-pair they're better shaped and free themselves better. 

P1150776.jpg   P1150775.jpg  

went and sprayed the underside with water. there were some indications of mite, but not really leaf damage (apart from the edges which are definately from not being able to free in time) 

I am thinking: if my plant has so far managed the extreme heats and dry climate, I might have a chance to keep it alive year-round. A couple days ago I also saw roots from pots hole, so I am going to transplant. 

What size should I pot it into? Does it have any soil requirement?? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sagiXsagi said:

What size should I pot it into? Does it have any soil requirement?? 

I use a 50/50 mixture organic/inorganic soil.  Organic components include potting soil that doesn't contain peat moss.  Also added pine bark fines and coco coir are beneficial but not necessary.   Inorganic components include perlite or a mixture of perlite and vermiculite.  Worm castings and or time release product for fertilizer.

The first photo is a 10 month old plant just up potted from a starter pot into a 3 liter container.  The starter leaf is still attached.

The second photo is 3 years old (my oldest) in an 11 liter container.  

PV_10_month.jpgPV_3_yr.jpg

• Like 5

Well the good news is I got rid of the mites. Bad news is... Well see for yourself. Fell off I didn't take them off. Hoping its holds and new growth starts floggin hard.

image.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.981d83f49e36d0d4b494c10e728e4c5a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.981d83f49e36d0d4b494c10e728e4c5a.jpeg

Me thinks me needs to place an order with SAB soon

• Like 1

Yeah thanks. I appreciate the offer. Either way I'll still be placing an order with SAB when the funds are right. There's much more than viridis I want to grow.