The Corroboree
courage

What does shamanism mean to you?

Perhaps this question has already been asked.

I feel I have answered it in my own way over recent, so on account of that would be very interested to hear others thoughts / experiences, views etc.

I hope my intentions here have been understood.

Love for one and all :P

• Like 2

Keeper of the mysteries, healer of men and women, devotee of the vegetable world.

Explorer of novel states of consciousness and adventurer of the highest order.

Teacher, guide and conduit to the Other.

Maybe...?

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Horus said:

So many ways to address that question,that im sure has been asked here before.

What's the purpose of a 'shaman'?

• Like 2

Tribal wizard.

Ive been watching some harry Potter but yes its a tribal wizard to me.

Massive old threads addressing this question, from times when the forum was much busier.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 2

P.S. My birth parents and family will be paying us all a visit on this online forum and community to check out the completion of my work. Smile and be polite! They're a good bunch :)

And so you are aware, I'm referring directly to the original father / mother aspect of the original creator of all, and those other beings involved in the creation of my soul from up above (the utmost levels of creation).

By no means is that a derogatory statement, each here I consider family also. I'm only trying to differentiate between those beings who were involved in the creation of my soul from its highest source origins, as opposed to the projection or manifestational chain at this level of creation.

Most likely many here will find that these forms of consciousness are in fact themselves, simply from a higher level of existence they may not have been aware of.

Have fun! And with our best wishes.

Dont forget to report back! And share with family first.

With the greatest love a man could carry, I wish you all the best.

To one and to all.

Cheerio then'

• Like 2

I feel the word shaman has been devalued. The traditional meaning is not important however, because we no longer live in a traditional tribal way. The meaning of words change over time and that's ok.

To me it's a way of trying to make sense of the cosmos that doesn't require faith or belief in the intangible, because it allows direct access to it instead.

It allows for creativity: syncretic amalgamation of parts of any system that hold meaning to the individual. 

• Like 6

The sentiment in those words above from the members of this community are beautiful. I appreciate being a witness to this sharing with each other. Thankyou.

And yes I go off on some strange tangents and am aware others may not always receive what I say with appreciation or understanding. But I suppose what counts is the acceptance of who I am without having to hide myself in fear of being critiaezes, critisized or told how to think or act.

For that reason you have my gratitude, and from those around me in my personal life and elsewhere as you play a role in my everyday creative outlets and the growing confidence that comes from safely expressing all I hold inside.

Warm wishes from myself, but I'm not the only one who wishes to Thankyou for the kindness and positive karmic influences that emanate from this forum and affect so much more.

• Like 3

exploration of the spirit world and/or conciousness

knowing as opposed to believing

comfort within one's own skin

• Like 1

On 4 July 2016 at 4:00 PM, Horus said:

... Your a funny bugger Courage you say " I hope my intentions here have been understood"

This may be your first coherent post. Most peeps have no idea what to make of any of your posts.

I may start a new thread "what does Space Cadet mean to you".  : )

On 4 July 2016 at 8:21 PM, courage said:

.... And so you are aware, I'm referring directly to the original father / mother aspect of the original creator of all, and those other beings involved in the creation of my soul from up above (the utmost levels of creation).

By no means is that a derogatory statement, each here I consider family also. I'm only trying to differentiate between those beings who were involved in the creation of my soul from its highest source origins, as opposed to the projection or manifestational chain at this level of creation. ....

You could be onto something there Horus. Just shit stirring Courage, well put. 

witch-doctory stuff.

• Like 1

Shamanism is to me being thrown into the abyss despairingly and being forced to face immeasurable personal darkness/illness that is unhealable by society's current conventions. One takes on the Shaman/Healer archetype and attempts to bring a successful resolution to their suffering, a shaman is one who can bring that healing to the community. Just my interpretation. Shamanism is that process of essentially forced evolution into that archetype.

• Like 6

"The Shaman is the world's oldest professional and is both a performer and a priest: 'The Shaman was the original artists, dancer, musician, singer, dramatist, intellectual, poet, bard, ambassador, advisor to chiefs and king, entertainer, actor, clown, curer, stage magician, juggler, jongleur, folk-singer, weatherman, culture hero and trickster-transformer.'

The Doctors of bodies, souls and situations.
The Shaman, has learned to be a personal mediator between the everyday world and the 'other world.'"

-Weston La Barre

I think the new age perception of shamanism is awfully skewed and the point as to which they exist and what they do/purpose is far past the regular pre-conceived paradigm painted in the new age philosophy craze - but what do I know, I'm merely a fool :)

shaman;healer;teacher

In my eyes it is a profound method of healing carried out by those who dedicate their lives to the energies of the spirit world.  

I believe that those of us who dabble in this have truly very little idea of what is possible with shamanism, a.k.a the training of a shaman in shipibo tradition taking 7 years of training, every single day, under the tutelage of a master who did the same.  They start so young too, relatively free of cultural syndromes that clash with opening to nature, and so they form incredibly refined symbiotic relationships with all sorts of teachers whom through they do their work.  Imagine drinking ayahuasca at 12 with your grandfather...

Another way I appreciated it being conveyed was that when we journey with medicines, the medicine is the spaceship, we are the passengers, and they are the pilots.  I think this analogy really fits well.  

• Like 2

Haha what is that, almost a haiku?

Slightly OT but here is an amazing shaman Sooi (meaning a bright light in Shipibo), chilling in the jungle.

VejXwdNh.jpg

It means love knowledge peace unity healing health and respect 

• Like 1

Above all, the keepers of balance.

• Like 1

well to me shamanism is a form of exotic and more archaic approach to religion or religious spirituality

I sense is is also something of the past, and very often it is idolised and overhyped by westerners and the "scene" 

well that is something modern man tends to do a lot . 

I mean we have fucked up everything spiritualy wise, so its only normal for people to look up to a different system of values. 

What I mean, is, it depends where  you are looking from..  When westerners discuss about shamanism there is some degree of romanticism in the air. 

Shamanism is the old-school way... We are too late to discover how wonderful of a way is seems to be. 

the shaman's way is another way to think and deal with reality. all in all, I dont consider myself a shaman, and those who wish, I believe we can only be hybrid shamans, never dismiss our westerner past, to be reborn as children of a shamanic culture. its impossible. 

cheers

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 3