The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alchemica

Sodium benzoate for learning/memory enhancement, schizophrenia, neurorestoration/neuroprotection etc

I've been looking at options compatible with my medications that might be able to slow the declines (including coprolalia, which is really hard to deal with) I'm noticing cognitively and also tackle my so called 'schizophrenia' symptoms. I did try augmenting with sodium benzoate in the past (1g/day) and looking back, I was probably in a healthier place than I am in now. I'm going to restart it and see how that goes.

Cinnamon Converts Poor Learning Mice to Good Learners: Implications for Memory Improvement.

This study underlines the importance of cinnamon, a commonly used natural spice and flavoring material, and its metabolite sodium benzoate (NaB) in converting poor learning mice to good learning ones. NaB, but not sodium formate, was found to upregulate plasticity-related molecules, stimulate NMDA- and AMPA-sensitive calcium influx and increase of spine density in cultured hippocampal neurons. NaB induced the activation of CREB in hippocampal neurons via protein kinase A (PKA), which was responsible for the upregulation of plasticity-related molecules. Finally, spatial memory consolidation-induced activation of CREB and expression of different plasticity-related molecules were less in the hippocampus of poor learning mice as compared to good learning ones. However, oral treatment of cinnamon and NaB increased spatial memory consolidation-induced activation of CREB and expression of plasticity-related molecules in the hippocampus of poor-learning mice and converted poor learners into good learners. These results describe a novel property of cinnamon in switching poor learners to good learners via stimulating hippocampal plasticity.

See my post:

• sodium benzoate has been studied as an adjunctive agent in the treatment of schizophrenia:

“A recent clinical study demonstrated that sodium benzoate (SB), a prototype competitive d-amino acid oxidase inhibitor, was effective in the treatment of several symptoms, such as positive and negative symptoms, and cognitive impairment in medicated patients with schizophrenia.”

• SB has beneficial effects on pre-pulse inhibition deficits and hyperlocomotion induced in mice after administration of phencyclidine: “Sodium benzoate induced antipsychotic effects in the PCP model of schizophrenia, although it did not increase D-serine levels in the brain.”
  • D-amino acid oxidase is expressed in the ventral tegmental area and modulates cortical dopamine

“…injection into the VTA of sodium benzoate, a DAAO inhibitor, increases frontal cortex extracellular dopamine, as measured by in vivo microdialysis and high performance liquid chromatography. Combining sodium benzoate and D-serine did not enhance this effect, and injection of D-serine alone affected dopamine metabolites but not dopamine. These data show that DAO is expressed in the VTA, and suggest that it impacts on the mesocortical dopamine system.”

• Sodium benzoate increased volumes of thalamus, amygdala, and brainstem in a drug-naïve patient with major depression.
  • The combined effects of sodium benzoate and D-Serine in animal models of cognitive impairment have been studied, the authors concluding that “D-serine and sodium benzoate plays a crucial role in treating cognitive impairment with reduced nephrotoxicity of D-serine.”
  • While an above study have failed to find differential modulation of DAergic activity with such combinations, co-administration of a DAAO inhibitor and D-serine has effectively counteracted PPI deficits induced by NMDA antagonists in animal models and is a promising therapeutic approach.
  • Results highlight a novel anti-inflammatory role of NaB.
  • A novel neurotrophic property of cinnamon and its metabolite NaB has been found via PKA - CREB pathway, which may be of benefit for various neurodegenerative disorders including AD
  • Results highlight a novel myelinogenic property of NaB and cinnamon, which may be of benefit for MS and other demyelinating disorders.
  • Consumption of sodium benzoate as a food preservative may be linked with hyperactivity in children.
Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 1