The Corroboree

So I just got the response from the attorney general about the petition to legalise cannabis is QLD. It was a large lecture about how cannabis is criminal and how they know best, their experts and drug courts are awesome and drugs are bad m'kay.

Basically got told to fuck ourselves and stop being criminals.

The petition needs to be done again and again till we get some social traction. Like I said before, I don't even partake, but this is something I feel strongly about. I know the difference between criminals and people living their lives. I can't tolerate these prohibitionist lies.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Yeah @Northerner I saw that too :BANGHEAD2:.

Well, I remembered to put a short recommendation in to the TGA in favour of getting CBD scheduled as a pharmacy-only medicine. I know it’s not a huge thing, but it would help with public attitudes I think, as well as being really helpful for the conditions CND can help alleviate. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it was a bullshit response, but the QLD gov only just recently said they would not be changing any drug policy, or even consider it, so it's just a reflection of the fuckwit rhetoric that gets tossed around in politics atm.

QLD government is fucking ridiculous mate... :unsure:

• Like 2

I reckon the vast majority of people don't really care about pot smokers one way or the other. What is funny though is I bet if the common QLDers realised that they each pay about $1000 a year to keep cannabis illegal and enforce it they might suddenly wonder why they pay for that and start to make a noise. Money talks hey. A thousand bucks goes a long way when you really need it and a lot of people are doing it hard.

• Like 3

Victorians have your say:

https://www.starobserver.com.au/news/victoria-establishes-inquiry-into-cannabis-use/195400

The terms of reference say that the inquiry by the committee in Victoria will look into the best ways to:

prevent young people and children from accessing and using cannabis in Victoria.
 protect public health and public safety in relation to the use of cannabis in Victoria.
 implement health education campaigns and programs to ensure children and young people are aware of the dangers of drug use, in particular, cannabis use.
 prevent criminal activity relating to the illegal cannabis trade in Victoria.
 assess the health, mental health, and social impacts of cannabis use on people who use cannabis, their families and carers.

Here’s how you can make your submission:

Public submissions will be accepted till August 31, 2020
 Online submissions can be made  on the committee’s website https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/lsic-lc/article/4261
  • Like 1

Cracks in the dam:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-18/drug-driving-laws-cannabis-nsw-unfair-magistrate-david-heilpern/12361312

"I just thought the laws were so grossly unfair that I didn't feel that I could continue to apply them," Mr Heilpern says.

"You've got to live with yourself in in these jobs and if the application of a law is so grossly unfair then you've got to ask yourself: 'Well can I keep doing the job?'"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Responsible Choice said:

Cracks in the dam:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-18/drug-driving-laws-cannabis-nsw-unfair-magistrate-david-heilpern/12361312

"I just thought the laws were so grossly unfair that I didn't feel that I could continue to apply them," Mr Heilpern says.

"You've got to live with yourself in in these jobs and if the application of a law is so grossly unfair then you've got to ask yourself: 'Well can I keep doing the job?'"

Sounds like he is exactly the kind of person that should be a judge. Now unfortunately he's gone and I'm sure they'll fill the void with someone who has no issue with sentencing people for personal use.

• Sad 1

Might be sad but true mate, but hopefully it is an indication that he is not the only one feeling like his job is generating injustice and punishing law abiding citizens. :huh:

Sky doesn't seem to have fallen in the ACT despite the horror predictions of the prohibitionists.

I never would have guessed.  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Wile E. Peyote said:

Some synchronicity, a colleague just brought my attention to this paper:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6327978/?fbclid=IwAR2PeZsEoKiaaGqVNtaMQUw-QqNjMlXTxpgJiGOum_KuIbXi19rTeGxqMw4

Harm reduction TLDR-

Vape extracts at low temps and make sure they're purged. 

Common sense really innit.

Edit: now I've read the paper, it's a hypothesis only, no experiments have been performed, so not sure about some of the claims made. I doubt the temperature of a dab nail would reach the high temp required for such a conversion to happen. If the subject of the paper had been in the habit of inhaling 1g of bho at a time, that alone would be a lot of very hot oily vapour to bring into your lungs and I would  posit that might be a more likely cause of her pneumonia than methacralein degradation by products.

Edited by Glaukus
Read the damned paper
  • Like 1

Sadly the research gap is so significant that alot of the literature on cannabis vaping is based on case reports. Unlike the study I most recently posted it seems like a lot of these case studies focus on ecig style cartridges, which were recently linked to a number of hospital admissions. I would love to better understand the comparitive risk of these two types of consumption :( I guess some key questions are around the long term harms of inhaling pg and vg vapour, as well as different extracts, different nail/coil materials and different temperatures. 

The description of the extract dosage did seem a bit off - a good example of why including people with lived experiences of drugs in research projects is important. Kinda hard for people to apply the research if it isn't clearly linked to how people consume the drug. I remember reading one study of cannabis vaping that used leaf and 300 or so degree temps. WTF? Not really a representative technique.

• Like 1

Yeah anecdotally I found the vapour from the Volcano to be really dry and hurt my throat heaps. It was worse than smoking. Even at low temps.

11 hours ago, Cimi said:

Yeah anecdotally I found the vapour from the Volcano to be really dry and hurt my throat heaps. It was worse than smoking. Even at low temps.

Interesting, what temp were you running it? Assume you were using a balloon not a whip.

And you mean dry herb not concentrates?

I can't smoke anymore at all, it just makes me feel terrible.

• Like 1

Vaping can feel like a different type of harshness, even at low temps. Inhaling small hits rather than a whole volcano bag/your max lung capacity is one way of dealing with this. 

Personally I notice a tickle at the top of my throat that precedes feeling like I need to cough by a couple of seconds. If I stop inhaling at the tickle then it's all good. 

• Like 1

^ This.

Like any route of administration, vapour needs to be gotten used to, just like smoke of any kind. It spins me out to hear people say that they can only smoke cannabis with tobacco :blink:

That shit's sacrilege in some circles I hear... 

Of course the variety of vape products out there also require a period of adjustment. Another aspect to consider when vaping is also the quality of the material vaped. :wink:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Responsible Choice said:

^ This.

Like any route of administration, vapour needs to be gotten used to, just like smoke of any kind. It spins me out to hear people say that they can only smoke cannabis with tobacco :blink:

That shit's sacrilege in some circles I hear... 

Of course the variety of vape products out there also require a period of adjustment. Another aspect to consider when vaping is also the quality of the material vaped. :wink:

And I also think buds need a little more moisture for vaping compared to smoking. Which is a problem sometimes for storage of bud as it requires constant checking to make sure you don't end up with a load of mould affected weed.

Different vaporisers need fine tuning to find your sweet spot I've found. I was used to running the boundless at the lowest setting of 175°c and occasionally at 182°c as that seemed about right. But for a crafty or mighty, you get similar flavours from 202°c.

Now I've been running the extreme Q at 220-225°c and the vapour quality is about the same as the others listed at a much lower temp. I think the temp sensor is located close to the source of heat, but the herbs are packed further away so the air probably cools a little along the way.

Experiment, find your sweet spot. 

I haven't used a volcano before, but it's the gold standard so maybe try a lower temp, or play around with the variables you can control to see if you can get past that harshness.

Curing also plays a major role in taste. I'd wager most commercial crops are dried and pushed out for sale asap, I certainly see some very pale green material that doesn't look like it's cured properly. A decent cure will break down much of the nitrogen that would otherwise end up converting to ammonia, possible reason for the harshness?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Glaukus said:

Interesting, what temp were you running it? Assume you were using a balloon not a whip.

And you mean dry herb not concentrates?

I can't smoke anymore at all, it just makes me feel terrible.

I tried it at the full range of temps. Hotter was worse, but it was just so dry even on the lower settings. I had a Volcano classic so not sure of the exact temp range on the dial, it was just numbered 1-6. Yeah the balloon. And yeah dry herb. Pretty disappointing after dropping the cash for a Volcano! A longer cure may solve the problem, good tips.

Edited by Cimi

https://www.ponderingpot.com.au/national/us-government-confirms-cannabis-legalisation-has-not-lead-to-cannabis-addiction-in-teens/

I reckon this is in part because the potential of getting busted by the cops makes you paranoid son! Less presentations at the hospital for sure.

• Like 1