The Corroboree

Proving once again that they are Canada in this relationship. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Damn, Shame they can’t do it sooner but having that extra time will allow for awareness to be spread and help win some more people over I suppose. 

Hopefully Australia follows suit, but I am really doubtful anything good like that will happen here any time soon :( 

• Like 1

Chin up soldier :wink: Historically Oz and NZ have had a bit of a rivalry, and no one likes to be 2nd. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Responsible Choice said:

Chin up soldier :wink: Historically Oz and NZ have had a bit of a rivalry, and no one likes to be 2nd. 

This is exciting stuff!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Responsible Choice said:

I’m sure as hell if nz legalises it it’ll help out the Australian cause!!! I’m hopeful :) 

nz leading the way once again lol

11 hours ago, Responsible Choice said:

Think gay marriage.  Dumping this government is fundamental.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, SayN said:

Dumping this government is fundamental.

This.. Cannot agree enough

• Like 4

I hardly have to point this out to the experienced campaigners here, but now is the time to make friends with (or at least make yourself and your position known to) the shadow health minister and shadow attorney general. 

• Like 1

https://amp.news.com.au/technology/science/australia-needs-to-get-with-the-times-and-follow-new-zealand-on-recreational-weed-use-larissa-waters-says/news-story/9511413d2e90d43298050d306bbb9729

To be honest if any party wanted to gain seats and win the next election this would be a great tactic to use. Promise legalisation or decriminalisation or something 

• Like 3

If you are a sciency type this is going to be a hooj deal come kickoff. First in best dressed and that...

https://hightimes.com/health/science/putting-thc-testing-in-oregon-to-the-test/

In Oregon, cannabis test scores are big part of every recreational purchase, and both wholesale and retail prices are affected by the results. The higher the percentage of THC, the higher the price and, hopefully, the higher the consumer. But what if I told you that the THC-content analysis results of the flower you’re currently smoking could vary over 10 percent from lab to lab? This would mean that all those test scores are virtually meaningless. You may be paying twice as much as you should, or you might just be getting the deal of a lifetime.

3 hours ago, Responsible Choice said:

If you are a sciency type this is going to be a hooj deal come kickoff. First in best dressed and that...

In Oregon, cannabis test scores are big part of every recreational purchase, and both wholesale and retail prices are affected by the results. The higher the percentage of THC, the higher the price and, hopefully, the higher the consumer. But what if I told you that the THC-content analysis results of the flower you’re currently smoking could vary over 10 percent from lab to lab? This would mean that all those test scores are virtually meaningless. You may be paying twice as much as you should, or you might just be getting the deal of a lifetime.

Labs will apparently offer to "test" your product at whatever % you will pay them to provide.

• Like 2

On 26/12/2018 at 2:09 PM, Responsible Choice said:

What if I told you that thc from an indica is the same from a sativa and it's the other chemicals present, in particular terpense, that were responsible for how how you got, the high you felt, it's duration, etc.?  Lab tests are literally worthless unless they include that information and barely any of them do as they specifically test for cannabinoid ratios only.

Seriously though guys we don't want "legal" weed here. Have you read the UN 1967 convention on narcotics and how it's to be treated? I have and it's the same as the opium poppy where everything from seed to sale has to be tracked and regulated like crazy.  More than that the new government agency tasked with dealing with it have to issue licenses based on garden size and expected output unlike us who get plant numbers with all the bullshit that entails and those fortunate enough to get a license are chosen by the government, so literally the pick their friends to have a monopoly, instead of assuming that any applicant intends to be legal.

Did they win the war on drugs? It sure as shit sounds like they merely delayed their win to drive the prices up and once high enough then we get legal access to them instead of merely sorting things out for ourselves.  It's our duty to deny them this income or the ability to arrest us.  Vive la resistance!

12 hours ago, Ethnoob said:

Seriously though guys we don't want "legal" weed here. Have you read the UN 1967 convention on narcotics and how it's to be treated? I have and it's the same as the opium poppy where everything from seed to sale has to be tracked and regulated like crazy.  More than that the new government agency tasked with dealing with it have to issue licenses based on garden size and expected output unlike us who get plant numbers with all the bullshit that entails and those fortunate enough to get a license are chosen by the government, so literally the pick their friends to have a monopoly, instead of assuming that any applicant intends to be legal.

Did they win the war on drugs? It sure as shit sounds like they merely delayed their win to drive the prices up and once high enough then we get legal access to them instead of merely sorting things out for ourselves.  It's our duty to deny them this income or the ability to arrest us.  Vive la resistance!

Whut huh? What have you been smoking man?  :huh:

Of course we want legal weed. That means any stoner can grow some plants at home and smoke them without fear of years in jail. Without having cops, courts and prisons spending billions hunting socially innocent users, without the carnage that happens to the convicted lives. I don't even smoke and that's obvious.

The majority of people won't give a flying about what the people in the commercial industry have to do, unless they are in or want to be in the commercial industry. Just because corporate anything is corrupt doesn't mean we shouldn't disallow such a simple yet massive paradigm shift.

Taxes for our government is good, less money spent on prisons courts and police is good, more liberal society is good. I have no idea what you are resisting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Northerner said:

Whut huh? What have you been smoking man?  :huh:

Of course we want legal weed. That means any stoner can grow some plants at home and smoke them without fear of years in jail. Without having cops, courts and prisons spending billions hunting socially innocent users, without the carnage that happens to the convicted lives. I don't even smoke and that's obvious.

The majority of people won't give a flying about what the people in the commercial industry have to do, unless they are in or want to be in the commercial industry. Just because corporate anything is corrupt doesn't mean we shouldn't disallow such a simple yet massive paradigm shift.

Taxes for our government is good, less money spent on prisons courts and police is good, more liberal society is good. I have no idea what you are resisting.

The national cannabis agency that must be created to remain compliant with the UN has to track everything from seed to sale.  This will require licensing, random inspections, giving them access to your financials to make sure every last cent of your income is legitimate, etc.  It's going to be argued that this is an impossible task for them to take on for the potential millions of people that want a plant in their backyard so the only way to keep it legal is to limit the licensing to a few select cultivators that mass produce bulk product.  They'll say after it leaves the factory where it gets packaged by trusted officials the products will remain sealed for customer protection and so that at every step of the way to the customer computers can automatically track the products as they move.

Now people will obviously say that's some bullshit and that it's a manpower issue to ensure compliance which means that licensing fees are going to be astronomical as will be the taxes put on the point of sale to help reduce this cost.  This will in turn make the black market viable again so the new national cannabis agency is going to be tasked with taking them out due to having a duty to do so.  It doesn't take a genius to see how that's going to make prices go up and how it makes their monopoly cannabis legal while ours remains illegal which as far as I'm concerned isn't the version legalisation people envision at all.

Let's just assume I'm wrong for a moment, want to know what to expect? Commercial growers are going to grow thousands of acres of raw product to process.  They will not care about seeds, pollen that escapes or anything else like that.  The field is going to be seen as growing the chemical components to their propriety blends of oils so as long as the plants are producing cannabinoids and terpenes that can be extracted it's all good to them.  This will result in clouds of hermie pollen escaping that persist forever making it next to impossible to grow your own without it turning to shit and long term breeding is almost out of the question too.  Given 15-20 years almost all the genetics will have been lost leaving the big wigs a monopoly on everything.  Only those who take extreme measures to prevent contamination will survive and that will result in their products costing considerably more to produce than what they could sell it for making it a personal hobby suited solely for rich people.

What we really want is decriminalisation for the personal use and non profit production of cannabis.  If we did that it wouldn't be sold in shops like alcohol but it would remove all the bullshit involved with the national cannabis agency, stop the hermie pollen clouds from destroying our genepools, we could freely grow as much as we wanted in our backyards and we could share with our mates without being classed as a dealer as well.  It would decimate the price of cannabis to almost nothing  and truly free the weed unlike actual legalisation which drives prices up and continues to criminalize us anyway.

Legalisation is literally meant to end the war on drugs so how is it that they get to surrender and not only get the spoils but get to ramp up their campaign against us for denying them a monopoly?  I'd honestly rather it remain illegal because at least then everything is in our hands and not theirs while the risk remains the same.

• Like 2

Hmmm, I get where you are coming from mate. Though I think you are missing some salient points.

We can just declassify cannabis as a narcotic and tell the UN to go fuck 'emselves, no further paperwork required.  :)  It's not like the opiates we produce for international sale. Old Talkbull even claimed the law of Australia is the only law that counts in Australia when faced with the laws of mathematics. I can guarantee that the UN isn't swarming all over Canada, Uruguay and the US now, nor do they care to.

I'm not sure on your argument on genetics either. They aren't going to be planting huge plantations right next to the general populace, nor will every strain be designed for edibles and oils. You can be darned sure that nanny state Oz won't be letting commercial seeds and shit fly out of plantations either. Man, we need a certificate to make a sandwich and sell it in this country. It's easy to extrapolate where it's going. It'll be a costly venture for capitalists with heavy taxation. Fortunately for them the demand will be high. (tax income for our government is good not bad, remember that).

If it's decriminalised it's still illegal, and that isn't what most people want. They will still be able to be targeted and dismissed from their jobs and potentially busted and locked up. Think 3 strikes rules and mandatory sentencing and stuff when fines don't deter people. We really don't want to go down that path.

Why buy it and pay top dollar when you can legally grow it? Many will just grow and trade for goods and services. Being caught with it won't be an issue. Others can buy the bubblegum superstrains or whatever at $15-20 a gram in a shop if they will... legally. I don't see the conflict of interest. Sure, some will see the opportunity to undercut the shop prices with top notch weed. But the price will have dropped (supply and demand, anyone can grow so waaay more supply) and the big $'s just won't be there any more.

I'm hearing your concerns, but what I'm seeing in the western places that have legalised it don't reflect them.

Edited by Northerner
  • Like 2

Leave the law as it is, decriminalization or legalization. They won't leave it as it is; I think that's inevitable now. I think they'll legalize rather than decriminalize simply because it give 'em the hugest $$ return. 

I'd like to see it treated like tomato with educated and informed parental guidance. :bong:

Like tomato, it has pretty impressive nutritional value as well...

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/a-dietitians-perspective-on-cannabis

• Like 3

All eyes are on Canada to blaze the trail. The USA is not a good template as it remains illegal federally and only some states have legalised. This still provides a huge black market as commercial licences, inspections etc all cost a lot, and moving black market product acrss state lines is massively lucrative.

I think Canada has a good framework that supports both home growers and commercial growers. They will hopefully also iron out some of the issues such as driving impairment testing too...

• Like 2

On 30/12/2018 at 4:55 PM, Northerner said:

Why buy it and pay top dollar when you can legally grow it? Many will just grow and trade for goods and services. Being caught with it won't be an issue. Others can buy the bubblegum superstrains or whatever at $15-20 a gram in a shop if they will... legally. I don't see the conflict of interest. Sure, some will see the opportunity to undercut the shop prices with top notch weed. But the price will have dropped (supply and demand, anyone can grow so waaay more supply) and the big $'s just won't be there any more

Because people are lazy/lack skills/don't have the space etc. Many people I know (my Mrs included) can't keep a house plant alive for more than a week! Plus, your home plants might be ruined by powdery mildew, get ripped off or eaten by a goat etc and then what are you going to do? Head on down to the dispensary of course. 

It's like home brewing. Anyone can brew beer at home, but how many people do? The commercial market will be big enough to sustain itself.

• Like 3

Sure, but it won't be as lucrative as a criminal market.

(or there may be a tent appearing again chez Northerner)

Meanwhile in Colorado...

https://hightimes.com/news/magic-mushrooms-will-be-on-the-ballot-in-denver-this-may/

I've spoken to many folks about this and I really feel that the legalisation of cannabis can have a very significant flow-on effect regarding other psychedelics. Regardless, Denver goin hooj! :o

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Responsible Choice said:

Meanwhile in Colorado...

https://hightimes.com/news/magic-mushrooms-will-be-on-the-ballot-in-denver-this-may/

I've spoken to many folks about this and I really feel that the legalisation of cannabis can have a very significant flow-on effect regarding other psychedelics. Regardless, Denver goin hooj! :o

Just goes to show that cannabis really is a gateway drug...:P

• Like 2

^ lol.  I'm still trying to decide if that's funny... or dangerous!

• Like 1

Will be a while to see the flow-on effects of this, but still, it’s interesting (if you are an international politics nerd like me):

World Health Organization Recommends Reclassifying Marijuana Under International Treaties

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/read-the-world-health-organizations-marijuana-rescheduling-recommendations/ 

• Like 2