The Corroboree
eYann

Peyote very squishy and purple in areas

Hey i noticed this Peyote was getting very soft and squishy and turning purple, does anybody know what to do about this? Also it seems there are a lot of small sand flies or something crawling around through it for some reason. 

IMG_2925 (1).jpg

576f528de71e3_IMG_2925(1).thumb.jpg.7b581c3ece981fecd6ce791aa5f681b6.jpg

576f528de71e3_IMG_2925(1).thumb.jpg.7b581c3ece981fecd6ce791aa5f681b6.jpg

Sand flies could be fungus gnats. 

If so the larvae eat the roots and will kill the plant.

Is the plant in high humidity?

If it is well watered that i would bet my lefty on the above.

If has been dry for a while it could be and most likely is lack of water and the purple is from stress hot, cold, to much or not enough water or to much light?

Lophs will often flower once watered after shrinking.

Shrinking wont hurt the plant in fact its part or a normal life cycle in the wild.

• Like 3

looks like previous damage  - otherwise it looks dehydrated 

pot size is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big, potting soil of indeterminate quality cant breathe due to being smothered in white rocks, which btw is an excellent way to create a lot of problems for any potted cactus.....your soil mass should be such that it can drain freely, breathe, and totally dry out in 4-5 days from watering.....make your plants grow looking for water rather than drowning them.....(oversized pot, soil that cant breathe)

• Like 2

Well it has been outdoors and there has been a few storms lately, I havent watered it otherwise. I live in Sydney so we have been having those few big storms, but none of the other peyotes in other pots are effected. maybe ill try taking it out of its pot and letting the root mass dry up for the next two days and repot in fresh soil

Mate im in sydney as well and there is no way i would have any of my own roots lophs out in the weather we have had lately. Way to wet and cold... As zelly pointed out it needs to dry out and very quickly.

In this weather and in that big pot you would be lucky if it drys out before spring??

I personally have lophs outside but completely under cover and they receive zero liquid from about march/april - sep/oct( but it has been a funny one in sydney this year as you know so that didnt apply this year)

Get a pot( terracotta is best)around the same size of the loph and some nice pumice and keep it dry over the winter.

Its just too cold for any soil to dry out in open weather at the moment in sydney.

Also mate as its not in a light box it cant be fungus gnats as it just too cold!

Cheers

B

Edited by Master B
  • Like 1