The Corroboree

Just a little update - I got to week three, then had several weeks of freakout with moving - see my moving to nsw thread - so I kinda dropped off for a bit. I am now back into daily practice - and I havent bothered to turn the hot water on here, I just have cold showers. Its  not so bad. I think I can actually rewire my brain to think that cold is nice if i do it enough.

I am not following the program at the moment, as I am about to leave and do Vipassana for 10 days - and they dont let you do other practices will you do the thing, so I will pick it up again after vipassana. 

Anyone else here done it? Like it? Thoughts?

• Like 1

Thanks for the update. I've had a glimpse at the doco, Sounds super weird but could actually work if practiced daily so please report back, and being from Europe i am actually glad i don't have to experience any cold here, but boy... this stuff might help me cope with stress at work, so i'll give it a go one day !

Cold showering like champ now, doesnt feel right to leave the shower warm anymore. The 10 min cold shower challenge was no problem. The cold shock is just not there. Strength and flexibility are improved. So far the only con is when someone asks why you are breathing wierd. 3.14 min is new pb on breath retention, still not quite at houdini levels :P not sure how to proceed with the pushups, im out of breath but still able to do more hmm...

• Like 1

On 31/07/2016 at 9:48 PM, Bedofspines said:

Cold showering like champ now, doesnt feel right to leave the shower warm anymore. The 10 min cold shower challenge was no problem. The cold shock is just not there. Strength and flexibility are improved. So far the only con is when someone asks why you are breathing wierd. 3.14 min is new pb on breath retention, still not quite at houdini levels :P not sure how to proceed with the pushups, im out of breath but still able to do more hmm...

If you use facebook at all there is a wim hof group there who help with any questions you might have - i bleieve they dont have a working forum on the wim hof site yet so use facebook for exploring ideas and clearing up confusion.

I would say - keep push upping and do more wim hof breathing  when you run out of breath! Go you! Sounds like your an ice man machine.

• Like 1

On 31/07/2016 at 9:17 PM, bangbolero said:

Thanks for the update. I've had a glimpse at the doco, Sounds super weird but could actually work if practiced daily so please report back, and being from Europe i am actually glad i don't have to experience any cold here, but boy... this stuff might help me cope with stress at work, so i'll give it a go one day !

dont wait, give it a try. it feels amazing and it take 5 minutes :)

• Like 1

today I had breath retentions of 4:15 it felt great.

Was starting to get some pretty lights in meditation after breathing (this is meant to be a good thing)

Nice one mate i find i really have to distract myself to get longer retentions. I bet that new place is helping with the calmness aye.

21 hours ago, Bedofspines said:

Nice one mate i find i really have to distract myself to get longer retentions. I bet that new place is helping with the calmness aye.

oh really? I find that calm relaxed breathing for oxygenation before retentions makes the biggest difference for me,, and lying down. I focus on the bodily sensations and just try to relax :)

If anyone wants to go legit on the course I have a 50% off voucher valid for about a week.  Just pm me :)

havent been able to get on top of the breathing for a few reasons, but cold exposure has me to what some are calling sadist extremes....lol... cold showers no probs = like a boss, and hand exposure especially in a most of the time frozen kids pool.

lol...it hurt the first few goes, I can get them to wrinkle up stage without hurting now at all even when drying/warming up. My hands are not reacting to the cold air exposure like they were since..... I find that pretty interesting and really beneficial.

So I've cheated/skipped through a bit, but aiming to restart and run through the course proper aiming from next week if all the shit in life settles down.

EDIT - the cold defo is a mental thing....

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 2

WB you also have those badarse cold loving tassie genes. A good mate of mine is the same. Icy mornings before the sun is up & he's sipping pina coladas in thongs & a singlet loving life while I'm fighting off hypothermia.

With a bit of training you'd probably be able to whoop wim hof's butt at cold endurance

• Like 1

lol...that is true paradox:lol:

I am use to the cold and really use to love it, but have been getting softer with age.

Getting smashed about healthwise changed that a lot..... that said I can get through a daily cold average better than some  folk. I cant handle the heat at all.....never had in contrast.

I've just come through some funky shit working hard on the lining of my lungs and really keen to get on top of his method as a whole.Also dealing with medication to treat fuckdness that made me feel sick in new and inventive ways...lol...gotta love that:lol:

I am well past me prime though ...lol...nah no beating Wim.

The peripheral circulation improvement in my case really surprised my sceptical brain. I was avoiding the cold (not that its been "normal" cold down here).....should have maintained embracing it:wink:

Edited by waterboy 2.0

Hey folks, Iam back from vipassana now - that was pretty incredible and very challenging. I posted more about it on https://nigggles.wordpress.com

But now Im back and refreshed and keen to get stuck into Wim Hofing again. Iwas doing 3:15+ retentions last night.. I haven't done any pushups in a fortnight now so that might be a bit trying.

• Like 1

I thought I'd resurrect this thread after following a link @Anodyne posted in another thread and landing here.

I started practicing the WHM last year. Now I've stopped doing the breathing and I just do the cold showers (most days) I haven't used a drop of hot water in the shower since the beginning of March.

When I started doing the no breath holds, I would be able to hold it for around one minute on the first cycle and then by the third or fourth cycle I could go for about 2:30 with no breath. My times improved fairly fast and in less than a week I was going for 3:45 + on the last cycle for a no breath hold. One time I went for over 4 minutes with no breath and had threshold DMT experience that was a borderline breakthrough. I saw the chrysanthemum and was pulled through into a tunnel but I never emerged on the other side.

After that I could never replicate it again, my capacity to hold my breath plummeted and 3:20 was about the longest I ever went again with no breath. I know a few other people who got to a point where they could do a 3 minutes + for no breath hold and then their times started dropping off, so I I dunno what's going on there, maybe motivation is a factor.

Just the cold showers seem to have boosted my immune system, the rest of my family have been sick several times and nothing has seemed to effect me.

• Like 1

Awesome  Sally. I was thinking about this recently - doing my annual grumble about crappy peripheral circulation - and I'm thinking of moving somewhere much colder than here (if it gets below 10 it's a cold morning and all the locals act like it's a mini ice age). 

Good luck with the cold showers in this weather. I started when it was warmer and kept it up as the weather cooled down, so it was slow gradual adaptation to the cold. I think the only way I would have considered a cold shower in winter before would have been at gunpoint.

Now when I get in a cold shower it's a bit of a shock initially but it after about 5 or 6 minutes (I use a shower timer so I'm not kidding myself) it starts to feel like it's warm.

Edited by Sallubrious