The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

Chantherellus concinnus aka Pink Chanterelle

imageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a158835imageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a158835imageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a158835image.jpegimageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a158835imageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a158835imageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a158835

image.jpeg

Found these today. First time ever for me so am very happy to add another choice edible to the list. Left most to mature as they were too small. These were a sample to get a taste test. Hope to find more patches in the future. I think the ones pictured on selby shroom website might actually be a diff species of Chantherellus.   The colour seems wrong.  I tried to show white spore print, only left it a few hours so it's weak. But good enough for my id. Hey zen, what do u think about culturing Hydnum or Cantherellus spawn for inoculating? I have just been putting scraps from cleaning in suitable areas hoping that helps expand their territory in my local. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

wrinkles not gills. 

https://www.dpaw.wa.gov.au/images/documents/about/science/fungus/41_2010-06__07_Cantharellus_concinnus_DEC_FF.pdf

image.thumb.jpeg.44588c5f6daa8ed68f5e4dd4cb8df62d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5ac5fdef83fe6d206cc93ca73e954e16.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.91efbf5e18f7a9aaf17856254fba1aaf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f4fb16f399687a870326d25f4c87278e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.390bed31bd29b1d8e160876e647dbf3f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.44588c5f6daa8ed68f5e4dd4cb8df62d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5ac5fdef83fe6d206cc93ca73e954e16.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.91efbf5e18f7a9aaf17856254fba1aaf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f4fb16f399687a870326d25f4c87278e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.390bed31bd29b1d8e160876e647dbf3f.jpeg

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 6

Cantharellus concinnus ("Australian Chanterelle" (my name)) is an uncommon forest and health-land terrestrial fungus, probably mycorrhizal. Synonymous with C. cibarius var. australiensis and others). Cap to 55 mm or more, varying from pale to bright orange to apricot, with pinkish shades, becoming distorted and funnel-shaped; edges scalloped; smooth and dry. Gills deeply decurrent down stem, fold-like, often forked, colour as cap but paler; spore print white. Stem central, no ring, colour as cap, tapers towards base. Odour and taste of apricot, edibility uncertain (in contrast to highly popular European 'Chanterelle').

http://www.elfram.com/fungi/fungipics_c.html#cancon_a

I've only found "orangy" forms down here,  substrate may be driver of colour expression ??

Nice find Naja:wink:

EDIT - still noted as C.concinnus in "A Field Guide to Tas. Fungi" .Gates and Ratkowsky

Edited by waterboy 2.0

Thanks for the excellent reply and link WB. 

Went out to pick some hedgehogs this morning. Turned out to be another Chanty kind of day. Mixed bag of hogs and chants. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9c899158e9cd56c03c2ed46d0429874c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.575b5a927bcfc1ed683e41e6277bb0af.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9c899158e9cd56c03c2ed46d0429874c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.575b5a927bcfc1ed683e41e6277bb0af.jpeg

• Like 6

:lol: 

They look much much nicer cleaned like this weeks pics. Maybe not a fortune, but def reasonably valuable. I've managed to find chants in 5 sep locations in last week or so. Quite distant from each other and diff environments. Seems to be a good year for them. I always wonder though. Have they always been there and I just didn't notice? Or are they becoming more prolific? Hard one to answer I guess. Maybe I just have my eye in now for the pink. They hide really well, rarely getting above the litter. Collecting is a lot more time consuming because of having to carefully remove the litter from above each one. 

each year is different with mushrooms... they are not like C.cibarius forms... Nice find! 

This week I came across some absolutely massive chants. Seems this patch has genetics for large fruit. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8e3ab04523f3e9eedd8e569c72cced5d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d896085eff69706ea4bd1502297f2898.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.499387ab69568c7c94af77fcb6e54e38.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f4e9215dd34145716f2a45bb4a1846f7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8e3ab04523f3e9eedd8e569c72cced5d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d896085eff69706ea4bd1502297f2898.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.499387ab69568c7c94af77fcb6e54e38.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f4e9215dd34145716f2a45bb4a1846f7.jpeg

• Like 3

nah, these are not really big. :P

C.cibarius can get very large and wide - and this in the same patch that fruited small mushrooms a previous year.

I dont believe a patch has predisposition to make big fruits, just that there are better years for some myceliums and some worse. This and of course the objective strength and spread of the mycelium beneath. 

Yes, but these are a diff species. And by far the largest I have found. One very extensive patch under pines are all very small. Most just 1-3cm. On marri they seem to be larger. Say 5cm on average. But the patches very small. Just a few individuals. Where as in pines there are literally thousands. The large fruited patch had wide caps, but also a lot meatier fruit. Not as fragile. 

Edited by naja naja

sorry to sound/be pompous...  talking from another continent and all.... we seem to have such a different mycoflora! 

I have found cantharellus cibarius that are 10-12 cm wide, not rare in a good flush in my area actually . 

very intereresting, how does it taste compared to the regular cibarius you got there?? 

DO you have Craterellus? 

I rekon these I am finding should/would be in the craterellus genus as a lot of the smaller hollow stems chanterellus have been moved to this genus. I am hoping to have them dna tested to confirm this. There taste is ok. Nothing amazing though. i use them mixed with hogs to compliment each other. Where I am I do not think black trumpets have been found. But hey, they might just be hiding. East coast of Australia has them. Or maybe we do not have an appropriate host tree species here in w.a. Fly agaric did not exist here just 10 years ago, but is now prolific. Having spread many hundreds of kilometers. I have an expectation that others could and probably do the same. Just not as noticeable when a small black trumpet as opposed  to a bright red fairy tale mushroom. 

I wonder on on the ethics of trying to introduce new species. Like buying mixed dried european shrooms and blending with large amounts of water and dispersing in suitable environments. I'd hate to displace natives. But at the same time. I'd love to grow some ectomycorhysal* species in outside locations. 

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 1

I know what you're saying, indeed Craterellus cornucopiodes can hide pretty good.. 

ecology, ethics and so on... lol tough subject... and in oz you have a special sensitivity, so I'd better not say anything.... 

I would do it.. its propably being done as we speak, I have sent some 15-20  sporeprints of P.serbica to nice ozzies over there.. 

hey would it be legal to import edible dried mushrooms in australia?? 

Yeah, u can get a variety of dried mushrooms in even the supermarket. I have seen a dried mix of Wild mushrooms. Could see a few diff species in there. And I've seen plenty of others online in gourmet shops. Yeah, true.

i have a lot of saffron milk cap prints I could try and introduce as they only grow on non native pine plantations anyways.  The prints are prob 10 years old. I wonder if they'd still be viable. 

• Like 1

pine likes lactarius . suillus sp are also said they are easy to take, said to be one of the first big mushrooms that colonises a new pine plantation..  I have also seen Hydnum sp in relatively new plantation of pines . 

I think maybe innoculating young freshly planted trees might give best results. Less competition and from reading about New Zealand and planting out innoculated Pinus radiata seedlings. I could see fruit in just 2-3 years if successful. 

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 2