The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Justin Credible

Phaleria clerodendron Propagation and advice

I recently acquired some FRESH Phaleria clerodendron fruit, while removing the seeds from the fruit I noticed the seeds are pretty much hollow/empty.  Is this normal for them or possibly not viable? 

I have also read that the all parts of the plant are poisonous.  Anyone know how poisonous? Should I be wearing gloves while handling the fleshy fruit?

Also any tips or advice on propagating if any one has any experience.

Cheers

I have a big tree I planted that has many flowers but never set a fruit so I have no experience growing it from seed, I'm thinking I may need 2 trees for successful pollination.

I would expect sowing them fresh is important and also soaking them overnight wouldn't hurt.

One of my favorite trees ever. I've fed fruits to Cassowaries - they really love them. So they prolly aren't poisonous enough to kill you.

• Like 1

Cheers HD,  I acquired the fruits from a tree at tafe and there is only 1 tree present that I am aware. Maybe its a location thing.  Another student successfully propagated it last semester but have lost contact with him.  I planted some out, so time will tell. 

Next year I can send you some fresh flowers if you would like to play cupid.

• Like 1