The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Dooligar

Work drug testing and driving home.

I clean a vegetable processing factory.

Recently I tested positive for THC on a random swab test at work, which then resulted in a urine test. Before the swab I told them I smoked the previous night. I was worried about someone in management reporting me for driving home, after I was told I couldn't return until  they received the lab results. I could not find a significant manager (300+ employees) to ask if I could leave my car and was not thinking clearly due to failing the drug test so I drove the 1km home.

Today I was called in for a meeting (a week after the test) and was told  the lab tests revealed I was 17x the police cut off point for THC. I stuck by my story that I hadn't smoked the day of the test. They mentioned they were still in discussion with their lawyers about dismissals for failed drug tests and even though I'm only cleaning the chemicals I use classify the job as dangerous. I had an anxiety attack and told them I was willing to to do more drug tests that I am confident I will pass. I was tearing up and trying to explain how my partner and I are struggling with depression and anxiety and want to get on top of drug use after one of the interviewers said "It seems like you don't want to quit" after I explained I had been around cannabis for so long. I was sent home and told I would be called in the next 24 hours.

I'm 70% sure I will keep my job but the reason I am posting now is that when researching  the laws about random workplace drug testing I noticed one website saying employers must make sure the employee makes it home safely or stay on site until they can drive themselves. I was never told anything about driving after the tests.

If they do want to fire me could I possibly threaten them with legal action for not looking after my safety?  I do realize that it is MY responsibility to not drive while impaired and this is a
shitty thing to do but coworkers have kept themselves out of trouble using similar divisive tactics (non drug related)

• Like 1

Sorry guys this is ridiculous. Head has cleared and I will not be threatening my employer lol. To be honest losing this job might be the best thing for me I feel capable of so much more, just isn't much work in the area and my girls been outta work for awhile and seriously struggling mentally lately.

Edited by Dooligar
  • Like 1

Positive thinking. Get a new job. Freedom of choice is what you want. 

"17x the police cut off point for THC"??? 

such a thing exists?

Dooligar's situation

Although like so many do, he seems to have left us.

On 11/24/2017 at 9:39 PM, brendajones said:

About what update do you talk, Thunderldeal?

How random is this post lol

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 87_botanist said:
On 11/25/2017 at 0:39 AM, brendajones said:

About what update do you talk, Thunderldeal?

How random is this post lol

I lol'd too, pretty obvious haha...  
Anyway, I wonder how @Dooligar is going with it all, I'd love to hear how it went down.

Hope you and your girl are alright mate.

• Like 2

On 31/05/2016 at 11:42 PM, Dooligar said:

"It seems like you don't want to quit"

I know this is an old thread, but holy fuck. Why should you have to quit something you do in your own time? Does having a job mean they own you during your own personal time too? Its not like you're stoned on the job. 

Who actually cares what you do in your own time, as long as you're doing the work and not fucked up on the job. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Caster said:

Why should you have to quit something you do in your own time? Does having a job mean they own you during your own personal time too?

indexnn.thumb.jpg.a455d2ad5934b934eb2831060b83363b.jpgnnnnnn.thumb.jpg.cada588d2a5850ee78fe68e35d0c0dda.jpg

indexnn.thumb.jpg.a455d2ad5934b934eb2831060b83363b.jpg

nnnnnn.thumb.jpg.cada588d2a5850ee78fe68e35d0c0dda.jpg

indexnn.thumb.jpg.a455d2ad5934b934eb2831060b83363b.jpg

nnnnnn.thumb.jpg.cada588d2a5850ee78fe68e35d0c0dda.jpg

2 hours ago, Caster said:

I know this is an old thread, but holy fuck. Why should you have to quit something you do in your own time? Does having a job mean they own you during your own personal time too? Its not like you're stoned on the job. 

Who actually cares what you do in your own time, as long as you're doing the work and not fucked up on the job. 

Ya can't prove you're not wasted with cannabliss though because it lingers in your system for so long, hangs around in fat cells for ages.

You can totally show up to work tripping on a large variety of psychedelics though and the chances of your employer going to the expense of testing for them is very low.

As a person who is also tested at work for substances, the choice is clear.

22 hours ago, Northerner said:

Ya can't prove you're not wasted with cannabliss though because it lingers in your system for so long, hangs around in fat cells for ages.

You can totally show up to work tripping on a large variety of psychedelics though and the chances of your employer going to the expense of testing for them is very low.

Yea cannabis is definitely the worst for lingering in your system. Its an easy choice to give it up if it means losing your job. 

On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 2:34 PM, Northerner said:

Acid???

It's Acid, isn't it...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 25/11/2017 at 10:22 AM, ThunderIdeal said:

Dooligar's situation

Although like so many do, he seems to have left us.

you'll be the last man standing 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, El Presidente Hillbillios said:

you'll be the last man standing 

Last man melting at least

• Like 2
  • Haha 1