The Corroboree
Dekeius

Trich Seedlings Need Shade. But how?

Got some trich seedlings which are nearly 3 weeks old. They were doing fine with just the plastic lid and were receiving sun protection from the soil mix and edges of germ box. However they are now a little red. So I have put a tshirt over them but fear this cuts out too much light. At the moment they get no direct sunlight but are outside. 1463432686936-1589987229.jpg

Unfortunately the image doesn't do the colour justice but they are red near the top especially. 

I was wondering about attaching a shade cloth directly to the top of the lid. Maybe starting with it doubled up.

There is a lot of conflicting information on here about sunburnt trichs. 

Peace,

Dekeius. 

1463432686936-1589987229.thumb.jpg.3dfd4aff80b8b92bcefaea8abff3d524.jpg

1463432686936-1589987229.thumb.jpg.3dfd4aff80b8b92bcefaea8abff3d524.jpg

Edited by Dekeius

I've used cheese cloth in the past to filter the light and it works well but now I just use the smoky transparent tupperware containers, thats been enough of a filter in my experience :-)

• Like 1

if you're planning on grafting like you mentioned in the other thread, don't worry about a little too much shade or even a little bit too much sun turning them pink. Once they are bonded with a grafting stock with enough light, they will pump up into spheres even if they themselves are sunburned lobsters.

• Like 1

A sheet of baking paper works well over the container too. Let's through light but not enough to burn them.

• Like 2

if they are outside in total shade & and not in direct sunlight I would say leave em alone.......

one thing i do is go from total shade to dapple morning sun then to full sun, stretched out over 3-4 weeks

• Like 4

Thanks everyone.

Karl Marx i am planning to graft but not every seedling so need a parallel plan. 

Will probably try a few things and see if anything changes.

A simple tshirt seemed to work. Some (probably not fully covered by tshirt or maybe receiving more radiation facing outwards) are still a little red. The green ones are certainly looking plumper.