The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shortly

Charcoal hydro-media trial.

I have been mucking about cooking tiny batches of biochar for a component of potting media & the vegie garden.

I have been wondering how well some of these medias might perform in hydroponic & aquaponic set ups? 

At present i have neither the time or resources for setting up hydroponic & aquaponic set ups, far to many other things on my plate.

So in the interests of curiosity i would like to share a few kilo's of media with ideally 4 people with a reasonable amount of experience with hydroponic & or aquaponic set ups. So that they can asses the media's merits or shortcomings.

Because of current circumstances i can only cook about 2-3 kg per week, so this will be a bit of a protracted process. But if the media proves worthwhile i will build a more suitably sized kiln to speed up the process.

If your keen to try some PM me with how confident you are with your chosen growing method. Your intend to use for the media (hydro, aquaponic, other if you have a better idea) & how much media you think you will need for the trial.

All i ask in return is that you monitor your water quality & growth rates compared to a control & share the results.

• Like 2

Thats a nice offer Shortly. I've read conflicting info on its usage in hydro/aqua, I dunno what the verdict is.

This may be of interest to you,  http://warmheartworldwide.org/biochar-farming-tutorial/

When I'm good enough to be on the tools again I am going to play with this design, got the makings sitting around.

Happy to post the build, and me thoughts when I get to it.

• Like 2