The Corroboree
jimmyjam

Cane mulch for white oyster?

Just wondering if anyone has tried using cane mulch in place of chopped straw following the laundry basket or bag technique shown in 'let's grow mushrooms' videos? If so how'd it turn out?

• Like 1

I've been successfully using sugar cane mulch to grow whites in bags for about 18 months now. In summer the odd bag gets mold or those little gnats, but otherwise no issue. 

• Like 1

Good to hear, I was worried it might compact too much not being hollow like straw.  Seems a lot easier than having to chop a bale of straw up I'll give it a go. 

I too was interested about this, cane mulch is really cheap here, given its sugar cane country and all, it literally costs more to buy the cheapest bag of dirt, and im always seeing myc growing out of them so i knew something would take to it. Just wasnt completely sure until now if it would.

Man i really gotta get them started

Meant to attach a pic of results - these were grown on pasteurized cane mulch in a garbage bag.

12140908_10153689715379267_3416856507595689329_o.jpg

12140908_10153689715379267_3416856507595689329_o.thumb.jpg.9350bca61182d7b5f803325dc4076d06.jpg

12140908_10153689715379267_3416856507595689329_o.thumb.jpg.9350bca61182d7b5f803325dc4076d06.jpg

• Like 3

Meant to attach a pic of results - these were grown on pasteurized cane mulch in a garbage bag.

Looks great. Was the bag kept upright like that the whole time? What was your initial substrate of choice?

Thanks! The initial spawn uses wheat berries. Bags are kept horizontal in a lidded plastic tub (cheap way to keep bugs out and moisture in...) until most of the air holes have white showing thru, then put  upright in one of those cheap $30 mini greenhouses. I like to think the black plastic excludes light and helps keep the bag contents absorb warmth (often good in tas) though these claims are not evidence based.

they look great. just plane old sugar cane mulch, nothing more? got some king oysters i wanna try this with. 

• Like 1

they look great. just plane old sugar cane mulch, nothing more? got some king oysters i wanna try this with. 

Yep, I do use it for Kings too, but have found yields are much better with some kind of supplement like lucerne.

I don't supplement for the whites though, no.

• Like 1

how long does a bag like that end up fruiting for? like, does it ever end? or is it just exhaustive until either the water or nutrients expire

how long does a bag like that end up fruiting for? like, does it ever end? or is it just exhaustive until either the water or nutrients expire

Don't have a good answer, sorry. After 2 awesome flushes I was over white oysters and cleared it out of the greenhouse to make room for a king oyster garbage bag which was ready to pop. It makes great mulch though and occasionally throws up a few little fruits after rain.

After 2 awesome flushes I was over white oysters 

...temporarily at least! The edit post function doesn't seem to work...

to answer your question sorta... If you used 1kg dry straw and your grow setup was reasonable, you might get anywhere from 500g-1kg fruits. That's what I was getting with sugar cane bagasse using way more wheat/WBS spawn than I needed.

nice work Jdon!

Edited by theuserformallyknownasd00d
  • Like 2