The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
karl_marx

Show off your infernal devices

A while ago I said that I'd post a build log for my computerized, LED-powered propagation chamber. I'm going to try to cram it all into this post over the next weeks. Please watch this space and/or post your own DIY devices.

A word of warning: Posting source code or photos of one-off devices will create a link between your IRL identity and your SAB account. Please post responsibly.

Top of Enclosure: Control systems

Computer (top right): BeagleBone Green. An ARM/Linux development board, selected over the Raspberry Pi for its direct pulse-width-modulation outputs.

Power Supply (Left): A 12V x 10A DC supply that I got from Amazon.

5V step-down converter (bottom row, left): Provides power to the BeagleBone Green

24V Step-Up Converter (bottom row, second from left): Power for a future ultrasonic mister

MOSFET Transistors (bottom row, right two): Switches 12V and 24V power according to 3V signal from BeagleBone Green

Fan (Bottom Right): Blows air.

BpG7cwL.jpg

Inside: Environmentally controlled chamber

Top: 50 watt Purple LED Death Ray

Bottom Left: Sensor for humidity and temperature

Bottom Right: Recycled humidification reservoir with ultrasonic mister installed.

Bottom Center: Plants.

VodbS5q.jpg

The controller runs software that maintains the inside of the chamber at <85% RH and at 34 Celsius, using the lights as a heater and the fan as a dehumidifier. The lights are maintained at the highest intensity possible without tipping over 34C. As the humidity rises above 85%, the fan blows cold, dry air in to provide air exchange and some cooling.

Due to a static electricity accident that occurred sometime last week, I will soon be installing a metal enclosure for the electronics and replacing the control computer with a BeagleBone Black.

Edited by karl_marx
  • Like 5

If I were to build this again, I would leave out the insulation of the ice chest. With the LEDs on full blast, it gets far too hot.

Nice work Karl. I'll post my seed raising LED setup sometime this week but it is nowhere as sophisticated as yours, mearly LED lights on cheap wire hooked up to a few power supplies. Nice work with the controller.  

Edited by theuserformallyknownasd00d

My plants are powered by a giant fusion reactor in space.

• Like 5