The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heretic

SCAM WARNING

Beware of being offered a $1 smart phone from a mob called Jubify.com .....

I fell for this one , and I suspect many others will also become suckered .... 

I received an e-mail purporting to come from an Australian company that I have been buying mail order CDs from , advising me that I have won a Samsung smart phone . The only cost to myself would be $1 to cover the postage of the phone , and banking or credit card details were requested for payment of the $1 .

It seemed legit , and used the usual JB Hi Fi page and logos as they use in their on line shopping .....[ my niece recently won a computer , so I did not suspect a scam ] ..... so I used the Google auto-fill to fill out the on line payment form - exactly the same as the JB Hi Fi form .

I believed I was paying the $1 postage for my soon - to - arrive new phone ....

To my astonishment I then received e-mails form a mob called Jubify.com advising me that my account with Jubify is now activated and I have signed up for on line games at a cost of $ 129 per month , which will be deduducted automatically each month .  [ ??? ]

Of course , I immediately tried to cancel this account , but it is not possible for at least 2 business days ....

I then had to call my bank and cancel my Visa debit card , in order to prevent Jubify.com from accessing any funds from my account . The bank person advised me that the account has not yet been touched by Jubify.com , which is a great relief .

But , nevertheless , it is all a major hassle - cancelling my debit card and arranging for a replacement card .

Next I Googled Jubify and a quick perusal shows many similar reports to my experience , offering $ 1  smart phones that never arrive .

I will be contacting JB Hi Fi next , to enquire whether or not Jubify are authourized to be using their logos , etc , and if they are a legit promo company on behalf of JB Hi Fi - I suspect not .

So folks , beware .... and as always ..... if it sounds too good to be true , it probably is so .....

Take care with on line offers , promos , and prizes .

Sucks to hear about all the drama man but one solid piece of advice to remember ALWAYS: "If it's too good to be true, it probably is", checking the URL bar (top of the page that shows you what site you're on) VERY carefully is a must too.

It's very unlikely JB will know (or care) about it :\

Sucks to hear about all the drama man but one solid piece of advice to remember ALWAYS: "If it's too good to be true, it probably is", checking the URL bar (top of the page that shows you what site you're on) VERY carefully is a must too.

It's very unlikely JB will know (or care) about it :\

not necessarily, don't phone companies regularly offer free phones with contracts (i.e. 24 months phone contract get the phone for free)? although there wasn't a contract attached to this it's still not unheard of

btw heretic you should check the message detail to see the domain the message came from. i've seen a few phishing emails get through the usual spam filter and i've had to check the domain the messages came from. they were unknown/not related to the contents of the message so were immediately discarded. i got one recently that was almost a carbon copy of the emails i receive when there's an oz post parcel delivered, "we couldn't deliver a package, click here to find out details" or something. i wasn't expecting a parcel so a quick inspection showed it came from an unrelated domain so i knew to ignore it.