The Corroboree
GorrilaGardener

Advice on seed propagation through winter S E Qld

Hey guys,

was as just wondering if one of you could give me advice as to wether or not it is a good idea to plant cacti seeds coming into winter in S.E Qld, trichocereus mainly, also some echinocactus grusonii. I would tend to think it's not usually the best idea with the low temps and sunlight, though we don't really cop much of a winter here so hoping I may get away with it. In reality I'm just impatient and don't want to wait another 3 months :P

cheers,

Schoey 

Hey man,

I usually sow mine in winter and have had pretty good success. I use a little propergation chamber thing though that has bottom heat but I find it gives them a bit of a head start by the time spring rolls around. Last year I sowed some in early July and some more in September and the ones from July are at least 3 times bigger. 

Good luck! :) 

image.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4bb17b47c97c1df97e4ac13ddde414bc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4bb17b47c97c1df97e4ac13ddde414bc.jpeg

Hey man,

I usually sow mine in winter and have had pretty good success. I use a little propergation chamber thing though that has bottom heat but I find it gives them a bit of a head start by the time spring rolls around. Last year I sowed some in early July and some more in September and the ones from July are at least 3 times bigger. 

Good luck! :) 

image.jpeg

Cheers Psyentist :) exactly what I wanted to hear! I'm also propagating outside under the patio, but am hoping I can get away with not using a heat matt. Do you find its a necessity, or do you just use it as a precaution? 

• Like 1

I propagated a lot of chilli seeds around July but fortunately have an area in the house which is fairly insulated from temperature fluctuations and remains a 25 degrees. Most of what I planted were chills with a germination temperature of 30c so I thought I was fairly lucky with these results. Seedlings indoors seem to cope very well will a ~20W CFL, trapping what minimal heat the light produces would avoid a seed matt and give extra light for vigour.

I don't think it would be absolutely necessary, but I do think it would increase germination rates. I haven't tried without heat to be honest. It helps to increase the humidity as well which is a good thing when they're so young. You'd probably be alright if you did them now because it's still quite warm but the heat would help them to keep growing throughout winter. Only way to find out is to experiment I suppose. Give it a crack man, there's always plenty more seeds. Best of luck! :)