The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
at0m

Seeds organising ideas

With the intention of growing a lot more (cacti and others), I'm realising I'm going to have a hard time keeping track of all of the seeds and their data (source, dates, etc). Right now all my baggies are stuffed into a tin and that just won't do.

So what I was thinking is something like a bunch of these bead containers, filled with sorted baggies and then stacked into some box I'll make with a lid to keep it dark.

Or maybe just a whole lot of these?

Would love to hear what everyone here is doing.

• Like 2

ha! the eternal dilemma for seed collectors and their subsequent storage.

i always keep my most precious seeds in a vac bag labelled in blood in the fridge......(the blood don't run like most inks:)) and the cold makes em dormant and sleepy but more fresh than just stacking them in plastic containers in a cool and dry spot - like you should do with all your seeds irrespective.

some seeds actually really respond well to 'a cool sleep' ie phleb acacia.

i had a wooden box with flipable sleeves that had names on them like a Rolodex but i lost it during the crazy summer that was 96.

anywho, anything that:

a/allows stackability

b)keeps light and moisture out

c) ideally can be fridge stored in a beautiful neat way - ie think of dehydrator layers

d)never loose their labels

is a top place to start.

i've sprouted cat seeds that have been stored correctly after 4 years-wings intact and facing upwards ....but hey, i'd say there are more anal freaks for seed storage than me here --......i'm looking at you........... mycelium  realm lovers...lol.

• Like 4

i reckon the best place to store them is in dirt, in pots, that are watered regular LOL

Edited by El Presidente Hillbillios
  • Like 4

I like the sistema klip it boxes, when the supermarkets clear them out a few times a year.

label,label and label again....lol....resealable bags in the boxes.

Eth nailed it though:wink:

• Like 2