The Corroboree
gtarman

Mildew resistant pumpkin varieties?

Hey all. So I'm wondering if anyone knows any heirloom or at least open-pollinated pumpkin varieties that are more resistant to powdery mildew? I've almost given up on growing pumpkins here in the humid subtropics because I always seem to lose them to the powder D:

hey gtarman, i had luck growing kents with minimal issues.. got a fair few decent 2-3 kg pumpys out of it, still have a couple im waiting on.. what were you growing? man even just seeing the words powdery mildew makes me sad, i got my seed out of a pumpkin i got at erbachers like a farm/wholesale veg place im not sure if its heirloom but i have some seeds i can send u if u want?

• Like 1

I dunno maybe I just have a crappy microclimate where the dew settles on it. I know my soil is deffo shit here haha....well rocky clay to be exact. If it was actual shit I'd probably be better off.

Do you reckon it's getting into the wrong time of year for it now? In my SEQ permaculture planting guide it's telling me to only grow it from mid-August through to Mid-March

i think its probably too late unfortunately...i googled the resistance of kents to mildew and found this http://ausveg.com.au/intranet/technical-insights/docs/130039_VG07127%20Final%20Report%20Complete.pdf if u scroll to page 49 and 50 theres a cool graph and some pics, i just grew them cos the farm is not far from my house so i figured theyd be used to the same climate.. i hope next time u have much better success :) i also know the struggle of fucked soil im about 5ks away from the beach im growing in straight sand basically hahaha some things just will not work 

Legend! I'll shoot you a PM :)

It's not quite sub-tropical here, but I'm right on the coast, so it's super humid - I can't grow zucchini here - instant  mould. I trialled mouse-melons (which, to be fair, are not pumpkins), and while they need a lot of sun & water, they did not get any powdery or downy mildew. The african horned melons seem pretty resistant to it too. 

• Like 1

hey yeti, have u ever tried growing black beauty zucchini? i can spare u some seed  if u wanna try growing some kents.. i can also send u some zucchini seed if ud like to give them a try and havnt yet, ur seeds should arrive tomorro gtarman :lol:

• Like 1

Cheers SS, got em! There's boatloads :D

Let me know if there's anything you're looking for btw and I might be able to help or point you in the right direction at least.

And yeah yeti I was able to grow kiwano/horned melon without issues too. Zucchini was a non-starter though too for me. But it might just be my soil and/or microclimate because some people seem to be able to grow it here without too many issues.

• Like 1

thanks heaps man that sounds epic! stoked u got ur package too, happy days :D