The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alchemica

Disrupting drug self-administration with sub-anesthetic doses of ketamine

Cocaine self-administration disrupted by the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonist ketamine: a randomized, crossover trial.

Repeated drug consumption may progress to problematic use by triggering neuroplastic adaptations that attenuate sensitivity to natural rewards while increasing reactivity to craving and drug cues. Converging evidence suggests a single sub-anesthetic dose of the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonist ketamine may work to correct these neuroadaptations and restore motivation for non-drug rewards. Using an established laboratory model aimed at evaluating behavioral shifts in the salience of cocaine now vs money later, we found that ketamine, as compared to the control, significantly decreased cocaine self-administration by 67% relative to baseline at greater than 24 h post-infusion, the most robust reduction observed to date in human cocaine users and the first to involve mechanisms other than stimulant or dopamine agonist effects. These findings signal new directions in medication development for substance use disorders.

• Like 4

Hi Alchemica, 

I knew I came across this idea recently, and briefly asked one of the psychiatrists here (detox/rehab facility) about their thoughts on the ketamine trials. But she shot it down (as I thought she might - I can't stand this psyche) and said there's extremely little data blah blah blah. But didn't even give it/or me, the time of day on it. Didn't help that when I asked if it works, one of the young blokes pipes up "yeah brah K works good hey!" *facepalm* So I wanted to print out a copy of something so I could ask one of the more responsive psyches his thoughts. But I the link you posted wont' let me access that page. Do you have a link for somewhere I could download and print off so that I had something concrete to present. With the understanding obviously that these are early days of course. 

Every time I'm here I just want to get the thoughts out there that there aren't just 2 modes of recovery: A/NA + abstinence OR A/NA + maintenance. 

Hi Fancy 

This journal might help, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12495789 

I can only access the abstract, but hopefully someone else knows how to use sci-hubs better then me and can repost the full paper. 

" High dose ketamine psychotherapy (KPT) produced a significantly greater rate of abstinence in heroin addicts within the first two years of follow-up, a greater and longer-lasting reduction in craving for heroin, as well as greater positive change in nonverbal unconscious emotional attitudes than did low dose KPT. "

• Like 1

Thanks Change! The abstract at the very least is something I can bring to the table as food for thought :D When I find or someone can access it, printing out certain parts would be helpful to have on hand to give that too. I didn't get a chance to bring it up with the male psych earlier but hopefully I get another chance. 

Go to http://sci-hub.bz/ paste in the PMID number - they should have it.

• Like 2

They have it :)

PMID: 12495789

• Like 2

Did you have any luck Fancy Pants?

I would love to try this but finding high quality K at this point in my life is very hard.

I know a doctor that is open to novel treatments so I will try and see what he thinks but I doubt it.

Being a current or ex drug seeker automatically makes things a lot more difficult. 

Sorry to rehash an old thread, and my apologies to Andy for not replying. Looking at the date I think it was the time I was in detox to try to change to methadone which didn’t turn out so well. Went for day leave at home for a few hours and drowsiness combined with respiration dropping pretty quickly so I thought it wiser to go back inside. Guess I’m super sensitive to methadone or something. 

I remember not being able to have that discussion about Ketamine like I wanted. I forget why exactly though now. 

But having very recently seen other sides of K I think it’s now going to be a new one to explore as much as possible for the reasons in this thread, as well as all the other facets.

I've heard wonderful things about ibogaine breaking narcotics addictions, from (I believe) a single session. 

I've heard of mescaline and LSD being used to treat alcohol addiction. (Actually, I can attest to the former). 

Is ketamine addictive?