The Corroboree
Scarecrow

Herb grinders?

Wasn't sure where else to put this. Does anyone know of a reliable all-purpose herb grinder? I'm not just looking for something to chop my basil with, I need something serious with some power behind it... doesn't have to be electric, just sturdy and vicious as hell.

I want to be able to chop and grind all sorts of medicinal plant bits, like stems, roots, bark, vines, and so on. The little hand grinders you get in smoke shops don't even come close to getting the job done, and last time I did it with scissors I ended up damaging a nerve in my thumb :ana:

My friends sware by the nutribullet, though i think thats a bit over kill for their purposes. For bark and the like it might be a good option if it is around 1000w. That is if the $200 price tag doesnt put you off.

You could just buy cheap blenders from kmart and everytime they die just exchange it for another..... :P

I mean no that would be immoral...

Go the cheap arse coffe grinders from kmart.

It will turn your basil to powder if your not carful and should wizz up other things well enough 

• Like 1

Go the cheap arse coffe grinders from kmart.

It will turn your basil to powder if your not carful and should wizz up other things well enough 

Nar, I've tried coffee grinders before. Not powerful enough for the kind of herbs I'm talking about.

My friends sware by the nutribullet, though i think thats a bit over kill for their purposes. For bark and the like it might be a good option if it is around 1000w. That is if the $200 price tag doesnt put you off.

You could just buy cheap blenders from kmart and everytime they die just exchange it for another..... :P

I mean no that would be immoral...

The nutribullet looks like just a big blender, so I'm a bit skeptical. I've tried a good food processor too, the herbs just got lodged in the blades and started melting the plastic of the blender as they scraped around the edges >___>

A cheap blender definitely wouldn't work, though.

I've got a Tupperware "TurboChef" which I can recommend.

ceAO91d.gif

...but seriously, it looks like this:

D6bqOLg.jpg

It's got three sharp-ass blades which you make spin by pulling the cord, like the starter on a lawn mower.

It's totally the business when it comes to dicing shit like herbs and onions.

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/tupperware-turbo-chef.html

It cost me about $50, but you could score one on the cheap on eBay if you're keen.

EDIT: Oh, I missed that you want to chop up stems and bark and stuff. I dunno if this would cut it :P 

Edited by antonsyd

Holé molé 

And here i was suggesting a $20 kmart thingy 

:P Well, more or less I'm looking for a cheaper alternative but that's kind of what I'm hoping to achieve, just on a much smaller scale. I don't need my herbs to be absolutely powdered, just chopped finely. And I don't need to process industrial quantities of the stuff, either...

Hmmm.... I think we're going in the right direction looking at spice grinders, but I still don't think that'll be good enough - like I said, I nearly destroyed a food processor with these herbs, and it wasn't a cheap one.

How about a grain mill? Reckon something like this might be up to the task? Anyone ever used such a thing before? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-Barley-Crusher-Malt-All-Grain-Mill-for-Home-Brewing-Monster-Mash-/301918549465?hash=item464bbf75d9:g:bNoAAOSwDk5T7ZRC

[edit]

Ooh, I think I found just the thing. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PICAOLA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DVEBYB7GLFPC

Looks heavy duty enough for my purposes, but not overkill.

[edit 2] NEVER MIND LOL $228.24 FOR SHIPPING

Edited by Scarecrow

$13 bucks little man, put that shit in my hands
If that money doesn't show, then you owe me owe me owe

Cheap kmart coffee grinder ftw! although its cheap, it seems to munch threw anything piece of piss. I've also got a good nutribullet type thing, but the small grinder is better :)

http://www.kmart.com.au/product/coffee-grinder/128170

edit: stainless blade/bowl with 150w motor and gets some good speed! alot of the time I just pulse it a bit or else powder :P

Edited by brooa

A hammer mill is really the go for woody stuff.

But heres a left of centre idea, cheap arse electric woodchipper:wink: ?

• Like 1

A hammer mill is really the go for woody stuff.

But heres a left of centre idea, cheap arse electric woodchipper:wink: ?

:lol: It might do the job, true... but I can't find any that are "cheap".

Well, if I can't find a cheaper temporary solution I may end up saving for a hammer mill. Gonna need one eventually anyhow...

• Like 1

lol..yeah I was thinking round the 150 mark (cheap for chipper).

You'd want a new one though, wouldn't want one that someones run oleander or other such shit through.

Its another idea to stow away though.

Chaff cutter works well if you got a lot of material. Thats what a lot of the commercial herb looks like it has gone through to me 

• Like 1

Cool. These look like they'd be awesome for culinary and smoking herbs, but I need something that can handle dried nuts, stems, seeds, roots, bark etc.

Edited by Scarecrow

Hmmm.... I think we're going in the right direction looking at spice grinders, but I still don't think that'll be good enough - like I said, I nearly destroyed a food processor with these herbs, and it wasn't a cheap one.

How about a grain mill? Reckon something like this might be up to the task? Anyone ever used such a thing before? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-Barley-Crusher-Malt-All-Grain-Mill-for-Home-Brewing-Monster-Mash-/301918549465?hash=item464bbf75d9:g:bNoAAOSwDk5T7ZRC

[edit]

Ooh, I think I found just the thing. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PICAOLA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DVEBYB7GLFPC

Looks heavy duty enough for my purposes, but not overkill.

[edit 2] NEVER MIND LOL $228.24 FOR SHIPPING

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Superfine-powder-Mills150g-220V-110V-food-grade-Stainless-steel-portable-type-Electric-Grinding-mill-grains-machine/32615686376.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.87.LdfhyV&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_9,searchweb201602_4_10017_10005_10006_10034_10021_507_10022_10020_10018_10019,searchweb201603_6&btsid=96ad18fc-9510-43ac-bfb1-6b4855175f4a

• Like 1

" 10.The motor used is a Brushed motor, it is normal that sparking and foreign taste occurs; "

hehe

• Like 1

" 10.The motor used is a Brushed motor, it is normal that sparking and foreign taste occurs; "

hehe

lol!

Kind of reminds me of this... tastes like burning!

4wdjyuV.gif

2S6s1wk.gif

• Like 2

On 19/4/2016 at 0:04 AM, Bedofspines said:

On 19/4/2016 at 0:06 AM, Bedofspines said:

hehe

16 hours ago, antonsyd said:

lol!

Kind of reminds me of this... tastes like burning!

4wdjyuV.gif

2S6s1wk.gif

Well, I bought the thing. I'll let you guys know after it arrives if it sets fire to my house or gives me metal poisoning :rolleyes:

• Like 3