The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
jimmyjam

Entry level microscope

Hi can anyone recommend an entry level microscope for mycology?  Don't want to spend a fortune at this stage but I also don't want to go out and buy something that is useless either.

Thanks

Thanks, saw a similar one on eBay but the Amscope brand. Anyone know if they are decent quality?

They are good quality from the store in that ebay link.

I had much the same criteria Jimmyjam but went for a more digital option with one of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-1000X-Magnifier-Digital-Microscope-Endoscope-PC-Video-Camera-TE103-/331410387716?hash=item4d29993304:g:B3AAAOSwGYVXCj6R

cost about $25 at the time, its a bitch to focus and the CD wouldn't install properly, but on the other hand its got a scale card so you can actually measure the spore sizes and it works fine with a bit of fiddling about holding it down to the desktop and turning the focus ring.

10 hours ago, ColinO'Scopy said:

I had much the same criteria Jimmyjam but went for a more digital option with one of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-1000X-Magnifier-Digital-Microscope-Endoscope-PC-Video-Camera-TE103-/331410387716?hash=item4d29993304:g:B3AAAOSwGYVXCj6R

cost about $25 at the time, its a bitch to focus and the CD wouldn't install properly, but on the other hand its got a scale card so you can actually measure the spore sizes and it works fine with a bit of fiddling about holding it down to the desktop and turning the focus ring.

Cool thanks might go with that option for the moment and put funds toward a flow hood.

I saw these. They  seem to cheap lol. I wonder if they are in fact 2000x. Maybe 200x blown up 10x with software? 

Dammit can't find link. It was like those 1000x magnifiers for $30

Edited by Bedofspines

i think i know the ones you mean...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1000X-8-LED-USB-Digital-Microscope-Endoscope-Magnifier-Camera-with-Stand-TE103-/331410387869?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

i have a 200x magnifier of similar.

Unfortunately the camera on mine isnt so great, it only does 640x480 i think so i dont really get the crisp pictures i want. I think that is where the expense is coming in.. you want to get the highest resolution you can otherwise whats the point? magnified blurry is still blurry.

Also with these models the stand isnt great, its more a sort of hand steadied microscope so it can be hard to get the still shots just right, but it is a super fun toy. if you get your stare just right you can get great magnified eyeball photos!