The Corroboree
at0m

at0m moved to the country! (with pictures)

Top spot mate, Wish you luck. 1.5 achre of cactus I reckon

• Like 4

Awesome place, I love it.

• Like 1

These sunsets though... for real.

dm6RjZC.png

• Like 7

Hit the local pub, meet the kind folk that inhabit this place. By far the most welcoming folk are country. Stay away from the shearers unless you like drinking, smoking and long nights on the piss. 

• Like 1

gorgeous photos.  is this south oz?

• Like 1

gorgeous photos.  is this south oz?

Sure is. Down by the river.

fkn awesome news man, want some seeds or somthing too plant?

Never going to say no to more plants to grow   :wub:  I'll drop you a PM.

I'm really glad to see so many familiar names and new ones too.

Very nice place Atom

So neat and well scaped

Bedofspines said it - fill the acre and a half with trichs

Prolly not to far from you, if you'd like a few cuts to start let me know man

• Like 2

So today I did a bit of tractor-gardening. If you compare it to some photos from my first posts, you can see the changes we've made :) 

This is going to be the cactus bed. I dislike how shit it often looks at the beginning of a process like this but I'm sure once we dump gravel all over it (and have things planted of course...) it will look a million times better.

LY1XDMH.jpg

m3f6LxI.jpg

The little raised bed style thing is planned to be used for smaller cacti so they don't get lost in the mix.

Here's a bonus cat and another vertical pallet garden too. I put a bunch more effort into this one as it's a paid job :)

LM8NpOo.jpg

7l3YDyY.jpg

ob4agxj.jpg

CjJTQw4.jpg

Edited by at0m
  • Like 5

looking awesome :D

Cool pre prep for a cacti garden Atom

love that tractor

epic space man lookin good, cant wait to see 90000000 cacti 

large.IMG_20160506_134737.jpg

It looked like a lot more before I started planting them... :blink:

Some of them are rooted, the majority are cuts from existing plants at my old place (left a few stumps and smaller ones there)

I love the look of the monster in the front. Fucked if I remember what it is though, labels were lost a long time ago.

I may have to do an ID run (and get some more :rolleyes:)

Definitely need a load of gravel soon too. Looking a bit bare and open for my liking.

We've been pulling shit out all over the place too. The previous owner of the place planted a lot of shit which isn't doing so well now that we moved in and don't water it daily so anything that looks like it's not doing crash hot from lack of water is going to be/is being replaced by drought hardy natives. We'll need more gravel for those beds too... 

Would love some suggestions for replacements (SA, natives preferred, looking to water once a week max in summer).

Those fruit trees from the original post are all gone now too. They were severely neglected and would be, imo, too much work to repair them, the soil and everything else. Additionally, we don't know exactly what they were sooo... they're gone. We now have a super nice, flat, clear stretch about 18 x 7 (give or take). So in their place I'm thinking something like...

ZlFeB3W.png

Very rough draft buuuuuuuuuuut it's what we're after I think :) Shade tunnel + outdoor raised beds + hydroponic benches + shaded raised beds.

Size is about 6x18 but I'm seriously considering taking it down to 6x12 (halving the front garden) because I'm just not sure if I can use all of those beds buuuuut we'll see. It may get even longer and include a small shed... who knows.

Edited by at0m
  • Like 6

Nice place, wide open space.

Has cactus garden written all over it.

Thanks for sharing.

iDMCdRp.jpg?1

1GvuboB.jpg?1

D81pAc4.jpg?1

So here goes the start of the tunnel. It's much bigger when you see it in person instead of drawings on your screen. :blink:

Lots more levelling, working out how to properly secure the damn thing and of course building left to go. Pictures for reference purposes only. Final project subject to change.

100% open to the advice and wisdom of everyone who's done this before. We're making it up as we go really.

• Like 5

looking good, been wanting to put some of that (irrigation?) tubing in my back yard for vines to cover but not sure how tight a space they would work in. Ive got a 3m wide yard but presumably narrower gauge pipe would work... haven't found much online about this did you have a reference?

Edited by AbleKay
  • Like 1

do you know if the curve balances/ becomes more symmetrical over time?

Edited by AbleKay
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AbleKay said:

looking good, been wanting to put some of that (irrigation?) tubing in my back yard for vines to cover but not sure how tight a space they would work in. Ive got a 3m wide yard but presumably narrower gauge pipe would work... haven't found much online about this did you have a reference?

We're using irrigation piping, 2" I think? I don't have the numbers on me and I'm not going outside right now :P  With a smaller yard, I'd definitely consider something smaller. Won't have any growing on mine as they'll be holding up shade cloth :)

9 minutes ago, AbleKay said:

do you know if the curve balances/ becomes more symmetrical over time?

In our case, I think we're just a bit over the self-rigid/symmetry sweet spot. It's going to require a lot of fastening and shit to get it to sit properly.

• Like 1

I've seen similar piping perfectly curved over a smaller span, so yeah, what you say makes sense and is a good lead. cheers

• Like 1

stick with the 2inch or you will regret it at0m, and a star dropper(post if u call it that) fits perfect in it:wink:

Could use one of the high pressure poly types for a smaller structure.

• Like 2

#StarPicket ,)

Thanks

• Like 1