The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chainsaw

caustic soda

Just curious whether anyone knows what the other 2% consists of in 98% caustic soda...and if it was used for an acid base extraction would it contaminate final product? 

If extracting bases be sure to do a final wash with a sodium carbonate solution to draw out the sodium hydroxide or it will contaminate your extract.

• Like 1

Go to page 3 of this pdf for a typical analysis of caustic soda. See the "Regular technical flake" column

• Like 1

@rahli, whats the concept behind a carbonate wash ? I may be confused but aren't they are both bases. If an immiscible solvent was use wouldn't successive H2O achieve the same effect. 

Edited by botanicalSEEKER

If the h2o is even slightly less than pH 7, it might salt out an alkaline extract.

• Like 1

The basic sodium carbonate polar solution attracts the sodium hydroxide out of the non polar solvent. Failure to remove the sodium hydroxide from the extract results in it taking on the hyroscopic properties of sodium hydroxide. This is no longer an issue after the sodium carbonate wash.

Maybe someone with more of a chem theoretical background can chime in with why this is the case.

Edited by rahli

Thanks everyone for your input... much appreciated :)

My question actually relates to an amine which I understand is basic so the sodium carb wash would be appropriate yeah? The procedure I read mentioned only an acetone wash...would you wash with sodium carb first then acetone or other way round?

And if I understand the list of contaminants correctly, most are salts which would be soluble in water and discarded when separated from the solvent layer before adding acid? Apart from some heavy metals which hopefully aren't too dangerous at low concentration?

You wash the nonpolar solvent containing the base extract first, then wash the base extract with acetone.

Edited by rahli

Cool...cheers