The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
eYann

Pachanoi snap in wind...replant?

Hello all,

So this is my first post here and I hope I'm doing it in the right area. I woke up this morning to a terrible site. I looked into my backyard to see my 1 metre tall pachanoi had snapped near the base in the wind last night. I have since replanted it but was unsure of correct methods. I placed the top part in fresh cactus soil supported by two bamboo sticks and tied to them with garden twine as it was quite wobbly and needed the support. As you can see, this cactus had a growth spurt where it kept quite thin for a bit, however the breakage occurred right near the base of the plant. I did not leave it out to dry or cut anything off the bottom, just placed it straight back in the soil, did NOT water it, and brought it inside to keep it out of the elements and hopefully reroot for the next few weeks.

As for the bottom part, the whole cactus had recently pupped out one on the bottom, and as you can see the break from the main stalk wasn't very flat, so do I need to cut this part flat? I know it will not grow upwards anymore, but should I worry about any rot? Does it need to be cut flat?

If you have any suggestions on what I should do or if everything seems to be fine please let me know.

Thanks!

post-17092-0-60729900-1459990096_thumb.j

post-17092-0-88743600-1459990102_thumb.j

post-17092-0-36359200-1459990112_thumb.j

post-17092-0-60729900-1459990096_thumb.jpg

post-17092-0-88743600-1459990102_thumb.jpg

post-17092-0-36359200-1459990112_thumb.jpg

post-17092-0-60729900-1459990096_thumb.jpg

post-17092-0-88743600-1459990102_thumb.jpg

post-17092-0-36359200-1459990112_thumb.jpg

with crisis there is opportunity, you've just doubled your stocks, just keep both pots completely dry for a few weeks and it should all be fine, the replanted column will be fine to pot up straight away as long as you keep the soil bone dry, and seeing as it has no roots you can pick it up occasionally and keep an eye on it for rot.

for the stump just keep it out of the rain for a few weeks to let the cut heal up, I don't see any need to flatten the cut but that's just my opinion.

not the greatest time of year for this to happen but it should be all good.

anyway, im sure someone will disagree with me about a few things but that's what I would do.

• Like 1

It wouldn't hurt to cut it flat with a clean knife and let it heal up nice and clean. Cut about an inch off (it's worth it)

The other piece, I would pull it out of the pot, cut it clean, let it dry/heal and replant in a couple weeks.

You have a pretty high chance of developing rot in that one, if you leave it the way it is.

(edit: just saw pinegap's post. Your plant is sitting on the fence so to speak. You could go either way. There's risks and benefits in going either way. Like pinegap said, it comes down to personal choice and that's why most replies to these sort of questions are answered like "I'd do this or personally I'd do that, or in my opinion it would be best to this precaution or I'd just go for it" etc.

There's no exact answer. You have to make the call bro, and yes, it's a bit of a gamble.

Good luck, and report back :P

Edited by Halcyon Daze

I should clarify, with the column it wouldn't hurt to cut it flat before replanting, but the stump should be fine, I see no reason why it would rot if you keep it out of the rain.

• Like 1

My personal experience suggests the log should be removed from the soil asap and left in a dry dark locale for at least two weeks to alow the wound to calous before submerging in soil. Best to have a good calouse on any cactus before planting it.

Having said that. Whats been done might work but could be risky....

ill see how it goes over the next few days. any suggestions on what i should do about that thin middle section? seems that might be where the wobble might have lead to a break. It has been growing so well since i bought it in november, maybe 2 feet since then. Im hoping it will continue growing once it roots but it seems that once it gets tall it may break again. Hopefully the little pup shoots up quickly now that its alone in the pot, maybe itll get some siblings soon :)

do you mean the column or the stump wert, the column I must admit if you wanna play it safe let it callous before planting but ime as long as you keep everything bone dry you can plant it straight up.

the stump, Is this what your (wert or halcyon) suggesting should be de potted and left to heal? I don't think that's necessary at all, as long as you keep it undercover and out of the rain.

yes eyann that stump will pup. if you wanted to you could cut it into lengths until all your left with is the fatter growth, then replant. and then plant the lengths as stumps as well.

sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "wert" and "halycon" pinegapcontrol. I'm going to keep these indoors for a little while and not water the main stalk for about 6 weeks or until i see roots established, i dusted the top of the stump with cinnamon to prevent any rot as I don't know where to get sulphur from. i will keep it dry for about a week or so before i give it any water, and also keep indoors for quite a while. If i notice any misshaps in either of the two, I will cut flat and allow callouses to form and replant. Thanks for the help and peace of mind :)

• Like 1

Hi, I'm Halcyon, the other guy is wert. Welcome by the way, (and congratulations on not trying to procure anything illegal on your first post.) :worship:

I don't think anyone is suggesting de-potting the stump. It's fine, just trim the top a little, as the tissue may have become slightly damaged during breaking. Not 100% necessary, but sometimes better to be safe than sorry.

As for the skinny part half way up the top section, personally I'd cut it again just below the skinny section and let them both heal for a week or two before potting them. That way the skinny part gets buried. You can never have too many of your favourite cacti. :)

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 2

thats a good idea. the plant didnt seem to show any signs of trouble, so I hadn't done anything to it, however was worried about the top heavyness of its future, so I decided to do what you suggested Halycon, that will let it grow really nice in the future I'm sure now, and I get double the amount of plants :)

Hey eYann, welcome to the group!!!

I just wanted to add that leftover portion from Halcyon's advice can also be planted (if you haven't already tossed it). Simply leave the two exposed ends to callus along with the tip end.  When every thing is callused you can either pot it up vertically in the same orientation as it was originally growing, or plant it on its side with ~1/2 of its thickness buried.  Either way it will eventually root and throw you some pups.

dormant_rooting_not2.jpg

Result from vertical planting (I guess not a perfect example because there are no roots, but should give you the idea).

LOG1.jpg

Example of pup from a side planting (again no roots, but they would eventually grow out of the areoles on the bottom of this guy).

Now that Ive had the middle (thicker) section off and drying for a few weeks, Im wondering which way to plant it! it was growing so fast when it was a single plant, so maybe if I plant it sideways It will pup off quite a bit and give me quite a few pups which will also grow fast!? The base which the main stock broke from that had a small pup at the time has let the pup grow almost twice its height since the break, and a small pup has appeared at the cut site as well. always exciting watching these things grow!

Awesome job. Congrats on the success. It's good to try a bunch of different things, that way you gain experience more valuable than the cacti itself.  

A hot tip for young players, start growing every kind of cacti you can get your hands on, even crappy ones like prickly pear. Later you can use them all as grafting stock for your favourite ones. You just cut the very tip off your favorite cactus and graft it onto a regular one. The grafted tip will grow very fast, and the stump of your favorite cacti will form a couple new pups. That's how you turn one favourite cactus into three very fast. You then repeat the process to get nine etc etc.

That's how you turn one favourite cactus into three very fast. You then repeat the process to get nine etc etc.

HD-  what would you recommend once a person has reached 900+ & counting??

Edited by Kykeion
I don't know how to use the quote function very well

43 minutes ago, zelly said:

HD-  what would you recommend once a person has reached 900+ & counting??

Buy more land/greenhouses/etc.

Hey Zelly, That's when you graft all your cacti  back together into one massive single-headed cacti cyclops and take over the world.

drevil_cover.jpg

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 2