The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alchemica

In Vitro and In Vivo Characterization of the Alkaloid Nuciferine.

In Vitro and In Vivo Characterization of the Alkaloid Nuciferine.

The sacred lotus (Nelumbo nucifera) contains many phytochemicals and has a history of human use. To determine which compounds may be responsible for reported psychotropic effects, we used in silico predictions of the identified phytochemicals. Nuciferine, an alkaloid component of Nelumbo nucifera and Nymphaea caerulea, had a predicted molecular profile similar to antipsychotic compounds. Our study characterizes nuciferine using in vitro and in vivo pharmacological assays. Nuciferine was first characterized in silico using the similarity ensemble approach, and was followed by further characterization and validation using the Psychoactive Drug Screening Program of the National Institute of Mental Health. Nuciferine was then tested in vivo in the head-twitch response, pre-pulse inhibition, hyperlocomotor activity, and drug discrimination paradigms. Nuciferine shares a receptor profile similar to aripiprazole-like antipsychotic drugs. Nuciferine was an antagonist at 5-HT2A, 5-HT2C, and 5-HT2B, an inverse agonist at 5-HT7, a partial agonist at D2, D5 and 5-HT6, an agonist at 5-HT1A and D4 receptors, and inhibited the dopamine transporter. In rodent models relevant to antipsychotic drug action, nuciferine blocked head-twitch responses and discriminative stimulus effects of a 5-HT2A agonist, substituted for clozapine discriminative stimulus, enhanced amphetamine induced locomotor activity, inhibited phencyclidine (PCP)-induced locomotor activity, and rescued PCP-induced disruption of prepulse inhibition without induction of catalepsy. The molecular profile of nuciferine was similar but not identical to that shared with several approved antipsychotic drugs suggesting that nuciferine has atypical antipsychotic-like actions.

• Like 6

Does anyone want to test out some 50% nuciferine* (lotus leaf extract) for me? Already on aripiprazole so I don't think I'll be a good test subject. Free if you give me a brief write up here.

First 3 to like this post and PM me get a gram each.

Other reports can be found here

*Actives are 50% nuciferine and flavonoids.

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 6

Ooh pick me! Pick me!

*Raises hand above head straining to be noticed*

Edit.

Nevermind didn't read properly.

Edited by stonewolf
Didn't read properly

OK because I'm feeling generous and I love all my lab rats, I'll make you a space @stonewolf PM'd

That's it, all done :) Looking forward to hearing how trials go.

Got mine today thanks alchemica. Can't wait to try it out and report back.

• Like 3

First test to get a feel and check for any adverse reactions was 20mg insufflated, around 7pm last night. No noticeable effects at first, but around 2 hours later after watching a few episodes of Mr robot, I stood up and realised I had minor loss of muscle control in my legs, most noticeably in my right leg. Quite an unusual sensation, but not at all unpleasant. I was also feeling slightly drowsy and had a deep sleep with vivid but not particularly extraordinary dreams.

I have slight effects continuing today with a general feeling of calm and indolence. 

I'll try more over the weekend after I give it a couple of days in between. I'll probably test vaporising as the next roa.

• Like 5

~ 40 mg smoked with some dagga, the dagga is old and had no notable effect when smoked by itself. 
5 - 10 min after the smoke a calmness comes over me, very subtle at first. A slight change in perception
noted, its difficult to describe the change, perhaps colours ( higher dose may confirm this? ) 

30 - 60 min, I feel a kind of lethargy, I would rather stay seated. but I feel good,calm and emotionally well.
I notice my eyes are happy to stay closed, usually they want to stay open and so begins the nightly battle with 
my eyelids. but not tonight.  

60 - 120 min, I decide I feel very relaxed and will go to sleep. and I do.

I remembered my dreams and they did seem quite vivid. I could still feel the lethargy in the morning for a couple
hours, I could have slept for a couple more hours I feel.

I will try again sometime, perhaps in the morning instead of the evening. 

• Like 2

Had one psychonaut (also on aripiprazole) report the following

'40mg was smoked in a cigarette with mild effects but I'm on some medications that compete with the receptors it acts on so I'm not a good gauge. Tried pushing that up to 100mg which seemed to be harder to smoke and I felt a little nauseous. 60mg with some kava was really nice. Good enhancement of colours, relaxation and quite pleasant on the whole'

I'd love it if any of the lab rats that got some nuciferine could play around with combinations cautiously. I've heard it seems to be mild by it's own but rather interesting with other things (t st). Maybe indulge with some and a glass or two of wine?

Tried 100mg with 1 shot of rum. Ohh god the tast was bad haha. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, usual kind of buzz from that amount of alcohol. I had read it synergises well with wine. I didn't have wine so, next best thing. I feel smoking small amounts is getting the most out of this stuff. I had a failed attempt at smoking a larger dose. It doesn't smoke very well at all and i feel a lot was wasted. 

Edited by Bedofspines
  • Like 1

50mg vaporised, horrid acrid taste!

Followed 10 minutes later by vaporised ganj, maybe 100mg of flowers in total.

No noticeable effects in between vapes, but the combined effects were obvious. A heavy sedation crept over, and settled in. Deep couch lock which was not a regular feature was quite pleasing, and an overall sense of well-being pervaded the room. Fell asleep easily around an hour later, but awoke at 3 am with mind racing. This most likely due to work stress, in fact I doubt I would have fallen asleep under any other circumstances so take this part in context I guess. No hangover, performed well the next day, although I did need an extra coffee.

Definitely worth exploring further for anxiolytic properties.

• Like 4