The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
drpotato

Fruiting chamber: Bubbler for air and to lower humidity

I happen to have a bubbler stone for some reason, it makes for an effective way to introduce clean air into a fruiting chamber.

I have a really small 3v vacuum pump, in that, it can suck really hard, and does so with pistons or a kickass diaphragm. I was wondering, since im going to stick lights, a temp/hygrometer in there (1 piece), why not a pump too.

the pump would serve to introduce fresh air into the fruiting chamber and lower the humidity from the wet perlite, so i can buffer the humidity at all times away from 100%

increasingly from now on as the wet season transitions to the dry, the nights will get progressively colder, the days will at a lesser rate get cooler, so ill have large temp fluctuations.

At the same time my shed has a bug problem and i have a bad luck problem, id like to minimize the holes in the fruiting chamber even if they are filled with polyfill.

would this work at all? the idea is to connect the hygrometer module to an ic and adjust the pumps input accordingly to how humid or not the fruiting chamber is. Might even have a fan inside too on a timer just to give things a stir once in a while, if it needs it.

The main objective is to introduce fresh air without compromising integrity of the chamber, second but very closely comes humidity control, third is positive pressure to keep things clean.

So, do i need this?
Or at least, should i try it? i dont like having to air out the fruiting chamber either because incase the cake or perlite becomes contaminated.

Should probly just test it. Its a cheap project. Id like to have a go at making a fc like that. Still wouldnt the air pump be pumping in potentialy contam air anyhow? Or pre-filter it?

Hey Dr Potato,

What brand/model vacuum pump do you have? Or what is it out of? I need a little pump for a project, have tried a few things so far but none have worked quite how I want, either too loud, or not enough suction etc.

thanks

you could use a aquarium pump to suck the air out of the fc

a bubbler should increase humidity not decrease it

I would suggest bringing your FC inside the house rather than the shed if temps in the shed are going to be a problem

a shed is going to also potentially increase your risk of contams unless its a fairly clean place

that being said contams aren't really a problem once your cakes are colonised its very hard for any contams to take hold

this is why airing out your FC is not a problem

you also say you have a bug problem in there another reason to maybe stay away from the shed

and a fan is most definitely not a good idea unless you are able to keep your humidity up while the fan runs

which will be very difficult all the fan will do is decrease humidity and dry everything out

unless your FC is absolutely huge like an entire room none of these things are necessary

shotgun terrarium remove lid once a day and fan it out give it a mist with a spray bottle once or twice a day nothing to it

• Like 2

The vacuum pump is off aliexpress, a cheap thing. Probably found looking up 3v or 5v vacuum pump or 3v 50kpa or 18kpa, something like that. I only mentioned that fact to state its not a diaphragm pump like a normal aquarium pump. Its designed for air.
And yeah, pre filtered too. the bubbler is only small, its there to lessen the potential of contaminants making it through. Given its quite small the air that bubbles through wont actually be that humid, not by that much. I am pretty confident that it will be less humid than the air already in there anyway which is otherwise at 100%, especially when the temps drop at the end of the day, if it turns out im mistaken about this and the bubbler actually somehow does work more effectively than the wet perlite floor (which i doubt still), ill just remove that part then.

Regarding the bugs, in the shed the cockroaches are about 8-10cm long, in the house, <1cm, of course there are other insects there too, but, its safer in the shed, plus climate wise theres not much difference either way. I would certainly say bugs are worse in the house.

I know contaminants wont easily grow on a colonized cake, im more worried about the perlite going rancid or the fruits themselves getting infected with something, compromising their use for spore prints. Less exposure is better regardless of type.

do you have holes in the bottom of your FC ?

you should have holes on all sides including the bottom the perlite shouldn't stay wet enough to go bad in any way

if you need to bring the humidity down why not just add more holes to let more air flow you want plenty of air flow

because humidity fluctuates with temperature. And more holes means less control for me. Id like to confidently be able to leave it alone for days at a time, ideally id check it daily, but i mean id like to be ABLE to leave it alone.

Id rather control the humidity so it never gets too high than use a chamber incapable of getting that high.