The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Bigred

Presto pressure cookers

I have ordered a Presto pressure cooker and was wondering has anyone got any reviews or pointers .

I got it at a good price i think for 155.50 with a bonus 6 quart jars

Thanks how long do the seals last on them

Yeah i had the same thing with the bottom becoming uneven.

Thanks how long do the seals last on them

Depends on how much you use them.

IME 6-12 months, but sometimes it seems mine was almost constantly running.

Now I have a second one which has eased the burden of the first one.

Not a bad idea to have an extra one on hand.

• Like 1

I will get one in the future but with funds at a all time low for a 150 with 6 quart jars why not

I wonder which mycologyst has a stake in all American :P

They are the better one also they are built like a brick shit house

Edited by Bigred

Where'd you source the PC from big red? I've been keeping my eye out for a new one around that price

I only use All Americans, not because I have a stake in all American. But because i dont like having to replace parts if i can avoid it. I figure they are better value over the lifespan of the unit.

And all of mine were purchased when the AUD was over parity with the USD so the pain was not as great.

• Like 1

Where'd you source the PC from big red? I've been keeping my eye out for a new one around that price

Amazon has always had the best prices in the past and I assume it's still the same. Too bad the AUD isn't higher but you're still better off buying from Amazon. If you have the money then buy an All American 921 or better. It'll last forever and you don't have to replace rubber seals because it has none.

• Like 1

its not hard to change a seal, and can get em easy for f alll :wink: love me presto

Techinically its a canner not a cooker. Dont put vaseline on the seal, only vegetable oil

Havent had the rounding of the bottom situation - you guys using the trivet? and what type of stovetop?

I'd taken an AA if I had the coin at the time. I am planning on one being a second rig though...

• Like 1

I don't use a trivet. I've used my AA921 on gas cookers and on electric hot plates. However, although it works on an electric hot plate it's a bitch to get the temperature at the sweet spot. I ended up buying a portable cast iron gas burner which I can connect to a gas cylinder. They're cheap as chips on eBay. It'd also be handy to use for sterilising straw for oyster mushroom grows outside.

I use propane burner for my presto (theres a BTU limit for prestos though)....lol....only went that way cause the mrs doesnt like the smell of cooked horse nuggets in the house.

• Like 1

I use propane burner for my presto (theres a BTU limit for prestos though)....lol....only went that way cause the mrs doesnt like the smell of cooked horse nuggets in the house.

Haha I thought the pressure cooked grain smell was bad enough but pressure cooked shit stinking up the house sounds horrible.

What do you use to pasteurise your straw with?

• Like 1

Grains certainly do put out quite an odour, I've only used my presto a couple of times but I am happy how it performs so far :)

I got relegated to the backyard on a wheel rim stove. Fueled by palm fronds & prunings since i object to the price of bottled gas. And the girls cant stand the smell.

Yes i'm a tight ass, i never stood a chance with them scottish genes.

• Like 1

I havent done straw as a substrate for a long while now migraineur, but was using a 44gallon drum, with a ghetto wire cage

and good old fire ( 2 man operation but). Had considered trying a ghetto rocket stove design though for better

heat control and reduced fuel use.

The wheel rim stove as Shortly has raised above would be another good way , got me thinking ( lol... as usual Shortly :wink: )

Grains certainly do put out quite an odour, I've only used my presto a couple of times but I am happy how it performs so far :)

If you don't vent the presto and let it cool down with the weight on, then the smell won't be nearly as bad.

• Like 1

I got relegated to the backyard on a wheel rim stove. Fueled by palm fronds & prunings since i object to the price of bottled gas. And the girls cant stand the smell.

Yes i'm a tight ass, i never stood a chance with them scottish genes.

I use a nossle that lets me fill up propane from a servo pump works out great as my generator runs on lpg its a 8.5 kva and uses about a liter a hour so its cheaper than petrol